Alec Gillis Talks Female Predators [Interview]

Started by HudsonGAMEOVERMANGAMEOVER, Mar 12, 2019, 09:33:41 AM

Author
Alec Gillis Talks Female Predators [Interview] (Read 8,306 times)

AhabPredator

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 12, 2019, 05:09:11 PM
Ironically them being the same race but looking different is kind of undercut when you consider the Lost Hunters being usages of the Jungle Hunter and City Hunters mold with different paint applications. It also doesn't help modern makers because the guys in the garage don't have to fit mechanical bits into it and there is no direct reference to the face because the only thing that survived was the Greyback's head. They threw all that other stuff out. Meaning all you can get is approximations and guesswork on top of the things the studio tells you to do. You also got separate unmasked heads for the original films which means that what you're basing things off of might not be the right head because they do different things or have different static positioning of the mandibles.

I'd imagine artistically its to differentiate individuals, but from a practical point its more likely because unlike in the older films the mask isn't fitted to the head, hence the mandible configuration. Scar's head was too flat for that so I doubt that was an issue, but for damn sure Wolf's didn't, and Fugitive only needs to have it on for part of the lab escape and then be removed by Upgrade which was more CGI then practical FX. The helmets and face are also developed separately from each other so even developmentally they can't account for positioning of the mandibles.

But then why not do it when they have it off?
-Scar was meant to be more emotive thus his mandibles going everywhere. Not to mention him being more heroic than prior appearances and thus you want to draw attention to the chin.
-Wolf just needed to roar and emote in reaction to the PredAlien, otherwise he's obscured in the crashed ship.
-Fugitive does on his CGI model, but the practical FX doesn't require that because he doesn't wear the mask for any extended period of time when a face reveal is needed.

That's a big part of the reason you have half-masks for these films because the mandibles can cause the helmet to pop off or not fit entirely (both of which occurred in 2010's Predators). Practically speaking you'd have to account for this during development of the face and have the helmet sculpted over that in order to fit it properly but that just doesn't happen on these films which is why its only implied. And even then it doesn't mean it has to sit in that configuration.

You can still have competently done Winston-esque Predators. I've spent 4 grand proving that point.  :laugh:

Don't tell me with the 88 million they couldn't.  :o

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 06:42:45 PM
In my headcanon, all the ones we've seen already are.

Why did you choose to see it that way?

The avp ones can't be females for sure, manhood ritual and all. Colin always referred to Wolf as him, Kevin Peter Hall called Pussyface a he, Anytime I don't know. Then there is Mr. Black. In some games there are refered as males. That leaves Falconer, Tracker, Classic, Anytime, Fugitive, Upgrade and the background predators without a clear sex.

Corporal Hicks

Ultimately those aren't on-screen clarifications. Nothing we've seen on-screen determines that they are one way or the other.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 07:06:33 PM
Ultimately those aren't on-screen clarifications. Nothing we've seen on-screen determines that they are one way or the other.

AvP and P2 certainly do. The others I might say are somewhat ambiguous.

Keyes calls CH he when talking about his abilities in the government utility trailer.

For what he is.

For what he can give us.

A new era of scientific technology.

I've waited a lifetime for this,

and I'm not going to miss the chance.

We have something

on the pheromone scanners.

- Target one is on the roof.

- It's taken us two weeks to learn his patterns.

He comes here every two days to feed.

- Seems he has a taste for beef.

- I didn't think he was vegetarian.

Also when Sebastian describes the blooding ritual.

https://youtu.be/-64q4HpZyaY

He's marking himself.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 07:06:33 PM

I was curious on why you decided to see it that way though.

Like in some people's headcanon David was only recreating the alien because they don't like the idea of him being the ultimate creator of the creature, like me, most of the confirmation of that comes Ridley's comments on interviews. In both cases off-screen clarifications are being put aside.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 12, 2019, 07:11:03 PM
Keyes calls CH he when talking about his abilities in the trailer.

That's still not in the film.

QuoteAlso when Sebastian describes the blooding ritual.

That was only in the extended cut, right?

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 12, 2019, 07:12:44 PM

Honestly, just because it solves the design issue for me. I loathe the boobs on a Predator and the slimmer waist to make them female. It's just another way of humanizing the Predators (which is a big reason I dislike most of the Yautja interpretation) and just considering the ones we've already seen as females solves that for me.

QuoteLike in some people's headcanon David was only recreating the alien because they don't like the idea of him being the ultimate creator of the creature, like me, most of the confirmation of that comes Ridley's comments on interviews. In both cases off-screen clarifications are being put aside.

Until it's in black-and-white there's room for wiggle as far as I'm concerned. I freely acknowledge Ridley's intentions and know that that is likely where we're heading but fortunately for me - and the others who dislike it - there's still that shred of hope.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 07:25:03 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 12, 2019, 07:11:03 PM
Keyes calls CH he when talking about his abilities in the trailer.

That's still not in the film.

QuoteAlso when Sebastian describes the blooding ritual.

That was only in the extended cut, right?

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 12, 2019, 07:12:44 PM

Honestly, just because it solves the design issue for me. I loathe the boobs on a Predator and the slimmer waist to make them female. It's just another way of humanizing the Predators (which is a big reason I dislike most of the Yautja interpretation) and just considering the ones we've already seen as females solves that for me.

QuoteLike in some people's headcanon David was only recreating the alien because they don't like the idea of him being the ultimate creator of the creature, like me, most of the confirmation of that comes Ridley's comments on interviews. In both cases off-screen clarifications are being put aside.

Until it's in black-and-white there's room for wiggle as far as I'm concerned. I freely acknowledge Ridley's intentions and know that that is likely where we're heading but fortunately for me - and the others who dislike it - there's still that shred of hope.

Absolutely is in the film. I pasted the dialogue right from the script in my post edit.

Samhain13

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 07:25:03 PM

So do imagine the males looking any different in your headcanon as in that case we haven't seen one so far?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 12, 2019, 07:28:24 PM
Absolutely is in the film. I pasted the dialogue right from the script in my post edit.

Apologies, you said Keyes. I read that as KPH said in his trailer for some reason. Fair point but Keyes doesn't actually know that as far as we know. But even given that, I can still imagine the others.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 12, 2019, 07:29:57 PM
So do imagine the males looking any different in your headcanon as in that case we haven't seen one so far?

I honestly haven't given them thought. Ideally, for me, they all look similar. I'd rather it's just little differences such a patterns, or colours, or something like that. Subtle differences.

When we spoke to Alec he mentioned them wanting to make one of the Emissaries a female. If I take either one (or both) of the realized Emissary Predators as being a female, that suits me fine.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 12, 2019, 06:57:35 PM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 12, 2019, 05:09:11 PM
Ironically them being the same race but looking different is kind of undercut when you consider the Lost Hunters being usages of the Jungle Hunter and City Hunters mold with different paint applications. It also doesn't help modern makers because the guys in the garage don't have to fit mechanical bits into it and there is no direct reference to the face because the only thing that survived was the Greyback's head. They threw all that other stuff out. Meaning all you can get is approximations and guesswork on top of the things the studio tells you to do. You also got separate unmasked heads for the original films which means that what you're basing things off of might not be the right head because they do different things or have different static positioning of the mandibles.

I'd imagine artistically its to differentiate individuals, but from a practical point its more likely because unlike in the older films the mask isn't fitted to the head, hence the mandible configuration. Scar's head was too flat for that so I doubt that was an issue, but for damn sure Wolf's didn't, and Fugitive only needs to have it on for part of the lab escape and then be removed by Upgrade which was more CGI then practical FX. The helmets and face are also developed separately from each other so even developmentally they can't account for positioning of the mandibles.

But then why not do it when they have it off?
-Scar was meant to be more emotive thus his mandibles going everywhere. Not to mention him being more heroic than prior appearances and thus you want to draw attention to the chin.
-Wolf just needed to roar and emote in reaction to the PredAlien, otherwise he's obscured in the crashed ship.
-Fugitive does on his CGI model, but the practical FX doesn't require that because he doesn't wear the mask for any extended period of time when a face reveal is needed.

That's a big part of the reason you have half-masks for these films because the mandibles can cause the helmet to pop off or not fit entirely (both of which occurred in 2010's Predators). Practically speaking you'd have to account for this during development of the face and have the helmet sculpted over that in order to fit it properly but that just doesn't happen on these films which is why its only implied. And even then it doesn't mean it has to sit in that configuration.

You can still have competently done Winston-esque Predators. I've spent 4 grand proving that point.  :laugh:

Don't tell me with the 88 million they couldn't.  :o

I own a P2 head myself, but not all Predator masks are built to the same specifications. Especially in garage kits that don't have to and commonly don't have room to fit the mechanical bits for the Predator's face. Those kits also don't have to put up with shooting requirements and because there isn't that much difference between a stunt suit and a hero suit for these films they also have to be in an ideal position to not break. These heads need to survive and it will be kind of bad if they can't hold a particular pose because they broke the servos. The heads are also dictated by needs of the studio and while AVP could've done it and didn't, Wolf and Fugitive are under no obligation to do so because nothing about those shots require them to hold that pose. The masks they used didn't require the helmet to be on in order for them to scrunch up like that. The pose we see Jungle Hunter in was also to lead into the roar pose, but because the movies later just use cut-away to hide the mask coming off, they could just prepare the later Predators to roar as wide as possible without limitations of the mask forcing the initial pose.

Now granted as often we see Fugitive without the helmet in the lab escape he could've held it at least once. But it was not a requirement of that day's shoot and is held on his CGI model. While its not a factor in practical FX they did use it.

88 million also goes to paying your actors, getting sets, reserving areas, paying for security, etc. And most of that budget later on was allocated to re-shooting the third act. The Predator's budget is pretty much irrelevant given that fanmade creations don't put up with the same rigors of production nor does it have to do the same things as the suits in the films.

It would've been nice to see, but it's cut for a reason

Master

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2019, 06:42:45 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Mar 12, 2019, 06:04:10 PM
I really hope the next Predator movie features female predators.

In my headcanon, all the ones we've seen already are.

In my headcanon the differences are so indistinguishable, you can't tell the difference untill you get down to business. At least for a human being.

AhabPredator

QuoteApologies, you said Keyes. I read that as KPH said in his trailer for some reason. Fair point but Keyes doesn't actually know that as far as we know. But even given that, I can still imagine the others.

No worries man. Also...I would like to see the Predator fanchise approach something like the Turians from Mass Effect with males and females.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Master on Mar 12, 2019, 07:52:51 PM
In my headcanon the differences are so indistinguishable, you can't tell the difference untill you get down to business. At least for a human being.

I just imagined 2 predators mistaking each other and only noticing while getting down to business. Very awkward.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 12, 2019, 07:59:58 PM
Quote from: Master on Mar 12, 2019, 07:52:51 PM

I just imagined 2 predators mistaking each other and only noticing while getting down to business. Very awkward.

https://youtu.be/-K7fCQlUhj0

JungleHunter87

Random musing here. But, here me out!

Now, fans have discussed sexual dimorphism as a possibility in regards to the two sexes of Predators.

What about coloration? Like how almost all male birds are brightly colored to attract females. Whilst females have earth tone colors for camouflage.

Anyone think that's a possible way to design the females to differentiate them from their male counterparts?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed