Is it worth it to criticise The Predator so much?

Started by Kradan, Mar 09, 2019, 09:03:14 AM

Author
Is it worth it to criticise The Predator so much? (Read 6,572 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Firstly, i'm gonna to say again that i don't think that The Predator deserve as much hate as it got. I know it's flawed one but i think that people criticising it too much. I've already tried to express my thoughts (see below) in other topic but it was not received well, i guess. I admit that probably it because i'm myself was not too careful chosing words and phrases.

Spoiler
QuoteI'm always a bit late with my thoughts but anyway cannot help posting it:

Ok, guys all your arguments about authism and how wrong it was shown in The Predator are all correct and valid. BUT! Why there's not much of complains about how people with PTSD were presented? I mean, are they actually just funny pussy-jokers?

And overall: it's just movie not a documentary. It's supposed to be unrealistic (at least to some degree). So, you can live with idea of space alien hunting humans but cannot stand boy with psychological disease that gives him super-duper ability? Why? Because at the end of the day many of you have relatives with such problem and it hurts your feelings? Not because it was just stupid or lazy written?

You, people really are concentrating on negative points. You prefer to dislike than to like, to dig in what movie did wrong than what it did right. Again: why? Isn't it tiring and exchausting? Is here actually enjoyment from disliking things (even if it with logical reasons)? I'm not trying to justify poor-writting or such things. I wanna say that it's better to see things in better light because in that case you can really get enjoyment from things even if they poorly done.

Personally, i don't think that The Predator is poorly-done. There're some things that bothered me: early death of Fugitive, idea of Predators invading Earth and of course ending. But there were things that i really enjoyed: Fugitive, Upgrade, Loonies, Traeger, father-son dynamic, predator-in-action scenes, ship designs, Upgrade's weaponry, final fight. In general i see it as good (not mediocre) movie that enjoyable to rewatch (as i did today). And my love to it grew even more because of how much hate (yeah, hate even if it have logical establishment) movie got. I can get enjoyment of it because i'm concentrating on positive, on what movie did right.

And please notice: i didn't call you "toxic fans"  ;D
[close]

I'm not gonna to repeat it again and gonna try to say simplier: in my opinion you can get more enjoyment from liking things than disliking it. Again, i admit that The Predator has lots of flaws and your arguments about it are all valid and logical. I'm myself didn't know what to think about movie after first viewing. I really didn't. However watching it again and again at home i was getting more and more enjoyment from it. Now it's my guilty pleasure (as AVPR for RidgeTop and you don't have to always make fun out of it)

But i also got impression that viewers spend more time digging what movie did wrong and forget about what it did right. I think i was able to get enjoyment from it because i didn't concentrate on negative angles (the same with Prometheus and Covenant by the way). I'm not saying that you have to close your eyes on movie flaws and forgive all the mistakes that studios did because obviously if you would do so quality of movies would be only worse and worse. But now The Predator already has came out and we cannot change anything about it. Criticising it not makes movie any better, not improves its flaws. So maybe it would be better to see what good about it? Some fans said responding to my initial post that their enjoyment is in being honest saying about movie's mistakes. Personally, i cannot get it but respect this point of view and think that it's totally possible. I'm just saying that criticising movie so much you lose any chance to enjoy it and I think it's sad.

And please, no need to saying that i "don't have any right to say what you can and what you can't say" because that's really not what i'm doing here.  No need to say that i'm smug or obnoxious or selfish or just make proud of myself. I try hard to express my opinion, to express things that i just can't leave only into my mind. I'm aware that i'm saying pretty controversial things and expect to get much negativity to my post and gonna to deal with it somehow. I'm aware that everything that i'm saying here is purely subjective and not a law or canon or dogma of any kind. I try to be polite with my opinion (even if i'm not very sucessful in it). Also please consider that English not my first language. And i'd like to remind you that you too don't have any right to tell me what i can and can't say. I won't get any benefit from what i'm doing (i'm not FOX employee). I try to be honest and that's it.

Huggs

Huggs

Is it worth it?

Yes.

This wasn't a case of making a poor franchise film, like covenant. This was just a bad film all over.

People are naturally going to focus on what it did wrong, because it did everything wrong.

It was grotesquely bad.

But that's just my opinion. If somebody likes the movie, then more power to em'.

PsyKore

I honestly don't like this film. :laugh: But when it comes to the criticism, it's usually because people just care about the franchise. I think we're also all well aware of the toxic, drama-fuelled side of the internet which can seem overbearing at times, but just make your own mind up and don't let it bother you. It's not too hard to distinguish between whats genuine and what's hating for the sake of it.

Deadmeat

Do you have the right to say The Predator doesn't deserve its hate? Of course you do.

Do I have the right to say The Predator deserves its hate? Absolutely.

Just as much as you're free to enjoy this movie, we are just as free to not enjoy it. I didn't enjoy the movie, and neither did plenty of others, and we're free to be vocal about it as much as we like. That's our choice. I can only speak for  myself - but I enjoy criticizing the movie more than I enjoy watching it. And I'm going to keep doing it no matter how much you tell me you don't agree with it.

By all means - keep vocalizing how much you enjoyed it, nobody is stopping you. However...
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 09, 2019, 09:03:14 AM
I'm just saying that criticising movie so much you lose any chance to enjoy it and I think it's sad.
...it's really pretentious to call our approach sad. As much as we disagree with you, none of us have said the same about your approach. This particular phrasing is disrespectful to others, so I'd advise not doing that again.

SuperiorIronman

Did people overreact? Yeah, yes they did.And on forums devoted to them you will find people going so much harder on it be it due to bias or whatever.

Is it problematic in places, indeed.

But it's technically functional and your mileage with it is going to depend on how much you take offense to autism and the movie taking on the more comedic traits of Predator 2. Other than that it's completely serviceable, and I would rather a film that builds on what came before and might make one think the director was a bit insensitive than the myriad of issues Covenant had in butchering its franchise.

SiL

Quote from: Deadmeat on Mar 09, 2019, 12:10:54 PM

...it's really pretentious to call our approach sad. As much as we disagree with you, none of us have said the same about your approach. This particular phrasing is disrespectful to others, so I'd advise not doing that again.
This, forever.

Every time you post something like this, it comes across as incredibly obnoxious. Lots of people dislike the film - but how many of them say that liking the film is "sad"?

It's not better to find enjoyment in a film. It's entirely subjective. Entirely. If you can't handle that people enthusuastically dislike the film -- that's your problem to deal with. Speaking down to those people is honestly just ... Kinda shitty.

Predwars24

Look I just disliked it because it doesn't work in a Predator film, if this were some other original alien film I'd be fine with the stuff they did, but it chose to be too much like a superhero film over a predator film, and at the end of the day isn't that what it's supposed to be? It's funny because at first I enjoyed the film but upon thinking about it and rewatching it I started to dislike it more.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Yes. Criticism keeps art relevant.

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/blog/the-importance-of-critique-art

Granted, this is film. The point is not lost. Without criticism, things cannot improve. Without improving, you have stagnation. That can lead to stagnation of culture. That is bad.

LastSurvivor92

I objectively REALLY enjoyed the film and the characters. I know there are a lot of haters of the film but I honestly enjoyed it. The Giant Prime Enforcer Predator was badass and the pacing was good enough to keep my attention and keep me up with the story. I never lost interest and I found myself doing that a lot with the other Predator sequels. I also picked up a lot on the dark humor which was all over the film and I dig the style Shane Black was going for. It's different, fun and full of descent action.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: LastSurvivor92 on Mar 09, 2019, 04:10:28 PM
I objectively REALLY enjoyed the film and the characters. I know there are a lot of haters of the film but I honestly enjoyed it. The Giant Prime Enforcer Predator was badass and the pacing was good enough to keep my attention and keep me up with the story. I never lost interest and I found myself doing that a lot with the other Predator sequels. I also picked up a lot on the dark humor which was all over the film and I dig the style Shane Black was going for. It's different, fun and full of descent action.

Agreed.

I'm just saying that criticising movie so much you lose any chance to enjoy it and I think it's sad.

It's funny that people think that their duty is to teach me how to say things about them. I don't get what's wrong with "it's sad". I just meant that it's better when you can get enjoyment from movie than when you can't, isn't it?

(едва слышимым шепотом)  ...токсичные фанаты...(еще тише) ... не говорите Хаггсу.

Deadmeat

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 09, 2019, 07:05:42 PM

It's funny that people think that their duty is to teach me how to say things about them. I don't get what's wrong with "it's sad". I just meant that it's better when you can get enjoyment from movie than when you can't, isn't it?

(едва слышимым шепотом)  ...токсичные фанаты...(еще тише) ... не говорите Хаггсу.

It's not funny - you're just not being respectful and we're making that clear. We literally just told you that your enjoyment is subjective. Framing your enjoyment as a better approach is rude and pretentious.

This isn't the first time you've tried to push your agenda that somehow your approach to a movie is better than everyone else's. It's becoming tiring because you obviously aren't getting the message that that kind of mindset is snobbish and unfitting for this forum. Can you enjoy a movie? Yes. Can you tell others that disliking a movie is a bad approach? No. I don't know how to phrase that more simply.

And don't trash talk other members, even in another language. If you keep being disrespectful I'm going to message mods about your attitude on the boards.

Samhain13

It's sad to believe something bad is good because you need that to make yourself feel better.

Kradan

Quote from: Deadmeat on Mar 09, 2019, 09:25:44 PM
And don't trash talk other members, even in another language. If you keep being disrespectful I'm going to message mods about your attitude on the boards.

Feel free to do it.

SiL

Quote from: Deadmeat on Mar 09, 2019, 09:25:44 PM
And don't trash talk other members, even in another language.
He wasn't trash talking, but he was being a twat. :P

QuoteIt's funny that people think that their duty is to teach me how to say things about them.
It's funny you think it's your duty to tell people what's a better way to talk about a film. :)

D88M

Yeah, of course, why not? The movie is very bad in pretty much every aspect, lots of stuff to criticise, but is not worth to do it more than once, is a waste of time and the movie does not deserve it.
Besides, a movie is a product and i am a costumer, as such i demand the product to have a barely minimal quality at the very least, and if it does not have it, then i am being scammed because i am wasting time and money on something that i dont like but was told it was good.
I call this "The Iron Man 3 trailers syndrome" and it should be legal and obligatory for theaters to refund your hard earned money if they deliver a bad movie.
And if they dare to waste my time, my money, and disrespecting me by scamming me with a bad product, then the least i can do is tell everyone how bad that product really is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed