The 1st Predator Ship

Started by Shaktiman, Mar 06, 2019, 08:25:18 AM

Author
The 1st Predator Ship (Read 14,822 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Well serves them right then! They parked underground which tends to have a great deal of humidity and they left their doors wide open!  What are they doing, heating the outside? :laugh:

Well good thing for them, it could be once they seal up and take off, their fog problem leaves too.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2019, 11:48:49 AM
Well serves them right then! They parked underground which tends to have a great deal of humidity and they left their doors wide open!  What are they doing, heating the outside? :laugh:

Well good thing for them, it could be once they seal up and take off, their fog problem leaves too.

I always interpreted that the oxygen mix on their ship was slightly different than Earth. Hence why I assume City Hunter used his breathing apparatus. Or the mask could have used a vapor based medicine similar to morphine, for pain or extra adrenaline.

These are all assumptions however.

I would love to see a cross-section book of vehicles and predator tech much like this...

I know people love it being open ended, but I am a guy who likes definite answers.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 07, 2019, 12:41:36 PM
I always interpreted that the oxygen mix on their ship was slightly different than Earth. Hence why I assume City Hunter used his breathing apparatus. Or the mask could have used a vapor based medicine similar to morphine, for pain or extra adrenaline.

I would love to see a cross-section book of vehicles and predator tech much like this...

I know people love it being open ended, but I am a guy who likes definite answers.

Well if you like answers, you'll like this clip.   :)

I do like your idea of vapor based medicine through the mask for pain or extra adrenaline. Especially the adrenaline.

And a book like that would be amazing! And would require a hell of a lot of research. Although the author gets paid, those books always seem to be a labor of love.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

Considering those guys doing coke at the start of them movie I'd love it if the mask was specifically built to get City Hunter hopped up. Thematically that would bizarrely bring it all home.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2019, 01:35:01 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 07, 2019, 12:41:36 PM

Well if you like answers, you'll like this clip.   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYwEdJiQuko

I do like your idea of vapor based medicine through the mask for pain or extra adrenaline. Especially the adrenaline.

And a book like that would be amazing! And would require a hell of a lot of research. Although the author gets paid, those books always seem to be a labor of love.

I think it's one of the better theories of explaining that.

I shall view that clip.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 07, 2019, 02:58:28 PM
I shall view that clip.

It's only 17 seconds. It's not one of your MauLer vids  ;D

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2019, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 07, 2019, 02:58:28 PM
I shall view that clip.

It's only 17 seconds. It's not one of your MauLer vids  ;D

I did. Much to short and very vague. Citations required.

:laugh:

Maybe that's something to look into. As it seems nothing like that has been done for Predator. I think there is one for Alien however?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I'm game, as long as it contains at least 40 minutes on the differences between objective and subjective  :P ;D

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 07, 2019, 04:02:53 PM
I'm game, as long as it contains at least 40 minutes on the differences between objective and subjective  :P ;D

:laugh: That was my favorite part honestly.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Curious that video link refers to trying to imply the interior of the ships are hot, because the thermal image made it clear they were incredibly cold:

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 06, 2019, 09:51:34 PM
I know that these guys are hunters. Can you imagine Yautja military units/ships?

Jesus.

The first of the AVP films had some sort of orbital tunnelling laser, although that was just heating its way through snow/ice. No way to know what it might do to other materials.

Aside from that, they haven't really shown any capabilities we don't already possess in a different form...

We still don't know what their shoulder cannon things even fire. In the first film, it blows a hole through someone's chest, but at other times, all it does is heat some skin off of Dutch's arm and shoulder. A lot of fans assume it to be plasma, but it doesn't act anything like plasma (which would bounce around in random directions and can't be made to fire down a straight line) and had electrical sparks flowing around it in at least the very first film.

Everything else is basically a variation of our own bladed weapons through history or grenades. An argument could easily be made that, in terms of capability, we could even potentially out-match them.

They seem to have a very bizarre mixture of advanced and antiquated technology. I was really surprised to find that the recent sequel depicted them using what looks like old jet turbine engines to fly their ships along in our atmosphere.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

A part of the redesign (and I'm pretty sure this was covered in The Predator's art book) was that the ships having to go in atmosphere and in space meant that the ships have to do both. Thus you end up with futuristic rockets and jet turbines. That's also why the ships are more bladed in shape and look a bit like space jets. You don't actually need an aerodynamic shape in space (you actually could do a brick with jets), but since Predator ships do have to go in atmosphere they just keep it a bit more aerodynamic for that reason. The turbine thing however isn't new to the movies as the ship in 2010's Predators actually possess this feature.

The turbines presumably being for smaller craft to maneuver easier in atmosphere where the typical engines we see are for space. At least that's the idea.

I believe the interior where it shows the POV being cold is a goof. The Infrared they see in the helmets distinguish between humanoids and the environment whereas in their regular vision they simply don't account for this. Thus the vision in the interior of the ship is supposed to be more like the Jungle Hunter's once he removed his mask but its instead as if City Hunter kept his on. We could make the argument that the ship is just cold or the fog is distorting the City Hunter's vision but I'm pretty sure it's just a mistake.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 09, 2019, 01:57:22 PM
Curious that video link refers to trying to imply the interior of the ships are hot, because the thermal image made it clear they were incredibly cold:

Obviously the thermal image is just creative license, especially after hearing the director explain the dry ice was used to simulate a "hot environment". Plus Anna said in Predator that Predators only come to Earth "in the hottest years", and the City Hunter came to LA during a heatwave.

All of this surely suggests Predators clearly like/need the heat like a cold-blooded animal... until AvP f*cked it all up of course.  :-\

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 09, 2019, 04:55:06 PM
All of this surely suggests Predators clearly like/need the heat like a cold-blooded animal... until AvP f*cked it all up of course.  :-\

I've never considered this a f**k-up...the point of the mission in AvP was to it was supposed to be hard and to prove themselves. Hunting in conditions they don't particularly enjoy is fitting with that.

SiL

SiL

Also the pyramid was heated, and they clearly make a point that it wasn't built when the place was frozen (which would make it millions of years old but OK whatever).

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Heated? Nah. Everyone is wearing winter coats, gloves, etc. throughout the pyramid scenes.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 11, 2019, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 09, 2019, 04:55:06 PM

I've never considered this a f**k-up...the point of the mission in AvP was to it was supposed to be hard and to prove themselves. Hunting in conditions they don't particularly enjoy is fitting with that.

That's a fair point. I would have been fine with that I guess, if the rest of the Predators showed up in bio suits designed to keep them warm.

But combine that with the horrible Predator facial changes and the ship interior changes, and it all felt like to me one giant middle finger to what came before it.

* edited for grammar

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed