Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant?

Started by rafaelgg, Mar 03, 2019, 09:23:07 PM

Author
Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant? (Read 13,555 times)

rafaelgg

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 06, 2019, 11:52:25 PM
Maybe you should take some valium for all that hate you seem to have for Ridley Scott.

And all of the points you are trying to make are factually wrong.
I followed all the Promerheus devellpment on movie media  news and believe me that it how  it happened.
  Ont the other hand mt view of the prequels is jut a personal opinion and if something has a very different opiniom about that is not a problem for me
  But at least mine is an argued opinion while other people  only words are "You are wrong", "Filmakers knew what they were making" withoiut any argument to support those statements.

Gash

Maybe you should take some valium for all that hate you seem to have for Ridley Scott.

Yup, I'll go with that.

P-Rock

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 07, 2019, 01:13:16 AM

I followed all the Promerheus devellpment on movie media  news and believe me that it how  it happened.
  Ont the other hand mt view of the prequels is jut a personal opinion and if something has a very different opiniom about that is not a problem for me
  But at least mine is an argued opinion while other people  only words are "You are wrong", "Filmakers knew what they were making" withoiut any argument to support those statements.

So there is a derelict  exactly similar one to other in all planets of the alien universe except on  "Fury 161" and Earth? It´s a little preposterous and hard to believe Isn´t?

The Derelict is an Engineers ship. The Alien supposedly traveled with the Sulaco to Fury 161. The Predators brought Aliens to earth for their rite of passage. The Engineers have been to earth before and , according to Prometheus, created us.

The prequels is a set of ideas and concept disjointed and without any coherence, a total messed not even the most talented screenwriter could fix and integrate right now. Kudos to mister Landelof and mister Scott. That´s what happens when you start to create a prequel alien movies, in the middle of the development progress you say "Ey, wait a moment, we have decided we are going to make a phylosofical hard science ficition movie set in the Alien Universe but without the xenomorph about mankind origins, and in the last moment you decide that "Prometheus" need some xenomorph hints and you ada xenomorph form on wall, the trilobite and the deacon birth without bothering about making any explanation.

The first draft by Jon Spaiths was all about the Alien. Then the studio brought in Damon Lindelof to do a rewrite, because they didn't trust an unknown writer. When rewriting the script Lindelof and Scott changed their minds and made Prometheus all about the Engineers. Everything Alien in the movie is a remnant of the screenplay by Jon Spaiths. You should watch 'The Furious Gods' Making Of documentary.

They never made up their mind about if they wanted to make a stragiht Alien horror movie or  "2001" type flick, finally what they delivered neither of those things.

True, although it was never meant to be a 2001 type movie.

Then for the sequel, they say: "Ok, many people where disapointed with "Prometheus" in the sake of the box officce success we are going to give them what they always wanted: A straight and pure Alien film.....yet but one who bassicaly is a remake of the first one with some bits of the second one in the form os a little action sequence with guns and shooting.......

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man... Covenant is David's story. It doesn't remind me at all of the first movie. Sure, Scott changed his mind about the sequel to Prometheus, but in my opinion David is an excellent villain and I for one don't care if he is the creator of the Xenomorph. Since Alien they were always considered to be bioweapons.

And now the cinematography alien franchise is sunk people are regreting Fox didn´t prefer the "Alien 5" Neil Blomkamp´s project and they only hope for the Alien franchise could be television.

Blomkamp never had a screenplay. The only thing he had were a few ideas and sketches. Of course Fox didn't want to put any money in it.

The Old One

The Old One

^

rafaelgg

rafaelgg

Quote from: P-Rock on Mar 07, 2019, 10:25:01 AM
Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 07, 2019, 01:13:16 AM

So there is a derelict  exactly similar one to other in all planets of the alien universe except on  "Fury 161" and Earth? It´s a little preposterous and hard to believe Isn´t?

The Derelict is an Engineers ship. The Alien supposedly traveled with the Sulaco to Fury 161. The Predators brought Aliens to earth for their rite of passage. The Engineers have been to earth before and , according to Prometheus, created us.

The prequels is a set of ideas and concept disjointed and without any coherence, a total messed not even the most talented screenwriter could fix and integrate right now. Kudos to mister Landelof and mister Scott. That´s what happens when you start to create a prequel alien movies, in the middle of the development progress you say "Ey, wait a moment, we have decided we are going to make a phylosofical hard science ficition movie set in the Alien Universe but without the xenomorph about mankind origins, and in the last moment you decide that "Prometheus" need some xenomorph hints and you ada xenomorph form on wall, the trilobite and the deacon birth without bothering about making any explanation.

The first draft by Jon Spaiths was all about the Alien. Then the studio brought in Damon Lindelof to do a rewrite, because they didn't trust an unknown writer. When rewriting the script Lindelof and Scott changed their minds and made Prometheus all about the Engineers. Everything Alien in the movie is a remnant of the screenplay by Jon Spaiths. You should watch 'The Furious Gods' Making Of documentary.

They never made up their mind about if they wanted to make a stragiht Alien horror movie or  "2001" type flick, finally what they delivered neither of those things.

True, although it was never meant to be a 2001 type movie.

Then for the sequel, they say: "Ok, many people where disapointed with "Prometheus" in the sake of the box officce success we are going to give them what they always wanted: A straight and pure Alien film.....yet but one who bassicaly is a remake of the first one with some bits of the second one in the form os a little action sequence with guns and shooting.......

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man... Covenant is David's story. It doesn't remind me at all of the first movie. Sure, Scott changed his mind about the sequel to Prometheus, but in my opinion David is an excellent villain and I for one don't care if he is the creator of the Xenomorph. Since Alien they were always considered to be bioweapons.

And now the cinematography alien franchise is sunk people are regreting Fox didn´t prefer the "Alien 5" Neil Blomkamp´s project and they only hope for the Alien franchise could be television.

Blomkamp never had a screenplay. The only thing he had were a few ideas and sketches. Of course Fox didn't want to put any money in it.

Ok We have:
1-A alien spaceship derelict on the "Pormetheus" Planet.
2-A very similar derelict with the same spaceship on the engineer planet ("Alien Covenant")
3-And a third derelict one (Without any explanation about it) on the LV-428 ("Alien", "Aliens").
  Guy don´t you think the shark is already jumping with the overuse of the same idea/scenery?. You start to think tat on the alien universe there is a derelict on the each planet of that universe or they have already try twice about explaining the origin of 1979´s film derelict without convicing audience who pointed the incongruences between 1979´s derelict and 2012 and 2017 one.
  And about "Covenant" not being the same history that the 1979 film. Yes we have the David´s story......and we have a story about an spaceship who detect a misterious signal(Oh my god again. The writers rewards their generous paycheck giving originality!) that send them to a distant plante where they find a deadly creature who hatch inside one of them. At the end they escape from the dangerous place but they discover later the beast is travelling with them but they manage to neutralize the  monster´s threat by launching it to the outer space.........
   And a final point: The promises about all the "Prometheus" loose ends" explained on "Covenant" is not my opinion; it´s a statement the movie´s creators told to the media after the "Prometheus" release: Unfullfilled promises.

Drukathi

Maybe Ridley have Idea about a space Bermuda? You know -  Bermuda is a triangle. A triangle means three. Three movies about crashed derelicts and signals, and, possible, Zeta 2 Reticuli.

Alien. Zeta 2 Reticuli. Calpamos. LV-426. Crashed derelict. Strange/alert signal from Space Jockeys.
Prometheus. Zeta 2 Reticuli. Calpamos. LV-223. Crashed derelict. Alert signal from Shaw.
Alien: Covenant. Maybe the second star in... Zeta 2 Reticuli! Planet-4. Crashed derelict. Strange signal from Show.

Maybe in next movie we don't see crashed derelicts and etc.

The Old One

The Old One

Gilfryd

I've said this before so forgive me if you're sick of it but to me the Covenant Xeno is like a vastly improved version of the Resurrection design. It's elegant in ways inherent to the Alien while also suggesting human anatomy in ways the Res design should have given they're meant to be genetically mixed up with humans (more so than usual).

The ADI designs in general were just so ungainly and garish to me, with their exaggerated shoulders and hips, floppy hands and feet, crocodile tails and cockroach heads - the infamous Pumpkinhead/Velociraptor effect. I feel the same way in this regard when comparing the Newborn to the Neomorph.

irn

Is it just me or does the Covenant xenomorph suit still look very CGI for some reason?

Kradan

It's you.

Evanus

Well, they mostly painted it over with CGI in post so..

SiL

Entirely. I don't think there's a single practical frame in the finished film.

SM

I think I recall one or two very brief closeups that might be practical, but yeah I thought it was entirely digital.

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 03, 2019, 10:34:44 PM
The problem that I have with the Alien in Alien:Covenant stems more from it's usage rather than its design but its design is off as well.

My issue with the design is that it's just kind of bland. While one could argue its due to this being an early iteration, no cinematic Alien has been identical film to film meaning that at the end of the day, it's just kind of bland. The design is basically an exaggerated skinned human with a phallic head. It means nothing when you consider that there is no baseline.

What makes Alien designs good is the bio-mechanical look which also lends itself nicely to the insect nature of the creature. The Aliens of past films largely use this to help make the Alien stand out. The little bits of tubing or the carapace in places are all here to serve the design in catching the viewers eye. To the audience member who re-watches the film, you get a bit more out of the Alien the longer you look at it because of a richness of detail. But if I was to take off the head, back tubes, and tail, turn it red while placing it in something like the camp in Predators, you'd never know that was the Alien would you?

As I also said in the Skull thread, the Alien's skull is pretty much only here to be intimidating. It's presence is that of a screaming monster. However the Skull works on a number of levels and one of those being the "point of origin". For Ripley, "Kaine's son" is this nightmarish beast, it came out of one of her friends and is almost mockingly human despite being incapable of being reasoned with. It only looks human and further plays up the rape allegory that got her friends and the monster's paternal half killed. That and when the rape allegory occurs, it's further made uncomfortable by its human appearance which is warped by its otherworldly parentage. In Requiem while a nod to the Big Chap, the skull performs the same function. It's presence is almost mocking to Wolf as he's not only surprised this happened it's also using his people's strength against him and defiled a young warrior's honor to do it.
In Alien:Covenant its merely here to make the Alien look intimidating. While ALIENS dropped this for shooting reasons, it worked in its favor because it allowed it to play up the action while not forgetting its parasitic insect origins.

Agree with you.

Although, it was made faster and ferocious, yet the slim limbs & lack of bio-mechanical features made it bland.

And the screen time was bad. We could only get a glimpse for a second and the scene cuts off.

I didn't even like the head design.   

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 20, 2019, 03:35:08 AM
The inner jaw through Jussie Smollett's mouth is practical.
The jaw itself, yeah. I think the tail disappearing under the panel behind him is also practical. The actual Alien is all CG though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed