Colonial Marines instead of Dutch's team

Started by The Kurgan, Mar 01, 2019, 08:03:38 AM

Author
Colonial Marines instead of Dutch's team (Read 2,583 times)

The Kurgan

What would be the outcome if you take six marines, one with a smartgun the rest with pulse rifles and with the equipment they had in Aliens (motion tracker, infrared vision,etc) and put them in the situation Dutch's crew found themselves in.

Dutch's guys maybe the best of the best, but the marines have a considerable edge in tech and alot of advantages Dutch's team had not.

Can they defeat Jungle Hunter?

Local Trouble

Easily, IMO.

SiL

Motion tracker only tells you which way to face. There's no height data, just range and direction. An advantage, yes -- game breaker for the Predator, no.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

True, but at least it would narrow down the direction to shoot with their armor-piercing, explosive rounds.  It beats wasting ammo by firing blindly all over the place.

Come to think of it, it always surprised me that ammo conservation was never mentioned (IIRC) in Predator even once.  Especially after they wasted so much of it.

The Kurgan

There will probably be a lot of motion all around them in the jungle, but if they use their infrared sight hat may help to filter out any interfering motions from animals etc quickly.

And a few well placed hits will do serious damage, after all their rounds pack quite the punch and Jungle Hunter is barely armored.

I don't know how useful the smartgun will be in the jungle though or how well the marines will function under the pressure of the situation. They panicked in Aliens, which would make it quite a lot easier for Jungle Hunter if it would happen here.

The Old One

The Old One

The Jungle mini-gun encounter, one bullet, one dead Predator.

Local Trouble

I imagine that motion trackers are somewhat smart too.  They didn't alert the marines to all of the movement (e.g. water droplets, hamsters, etc.) in Aliens so they must be designed to filter a certain amount of noise out.

That would be especially useful in a jungle setting.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

TheSailingRabbit

Only six?

Why not send the whole crew of the Sulaco?

Unless we're not counting Ferro and Spunkmeyer, because they're manning the dropship.

If Hudson doesn't mess himself, they can take down one Predator. Scratch that, if Gorman isn't in charge, they can take down a Predator. Apone and Hicks can do the job fine on their own.

Wweyland

Dutch's team had extensive jungle warfare experience. Especially Dutch and Billy.
This includes things like moving silently, reading maps and knowing your way around, making traps, getting food and water, etc.
Perhaps it didn't make a big difference because the Predator was so overpowered, but a Colonial Marine wouldn't have been able to fight like Dutch did in the end.

I would just image the Colonial Marines stumbling around like idiots and getting killed in a prolonged fight.

The Old One

The Old One

Or... using the auto-targeting Sentry guns, Smart-guns and Motion Trackers... adios muchachos.

But perhaps a Creative establishes:

No Motion Trackers, EMP, Wi-Fi source; the Motion Trackers disconnect...

The Predator is resourceful.

Local Trouble

When have the motion trackers ever needed a wi-fi source?  They seemed to work fine in Aliens after the APC got wasted.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps a Creative (Director) establishes.

Local Trouble

Without motion trackers, I'd say the marines are f**ked.

Voodoo Magic

As requested, I brought it here Kurgan.  ;)

How powerful is a point blank shotgun blast in comparison to a pulse rifle? The City Hunter took some powerful shots to the chest that looked debilitating, until Mike found out the Pred was playing possum to disarm him of his shotgun.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed