PREDATOR 2 Sequel PREDATOR 3: A PITCH

Started by The Old One, Feb 22, 2019, 03:32:44 PM

Author
PREDATOR 2 Sequel PREDATOR 3: A PITCH (Read 1,540 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 23, 2019, 01:40:21 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 23, 2019, 12:09:24 AM
I've always liked the idea of bringing Harrigan and Dutch together. It's funny almost everyone who pictures a new story with Dutch always puts him in a remote cabin somewhere, far away from society. :)

I'm not discarding the idea, but I'm not completely sold on Harrigan joining OWLF. Nor am I a fan of returning to the same jungle either. But I do like how it ends, and how it provides closure.  Plus the pitch had me at hello, when I saw the "Predator 3" logo.  :o

There's some good stuff in there. Thanks for sharing it Old One.

I think this is the movie most of us wanted, but didn't get.

You said it brother. :'(

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I actually like this pitch! Didn't think I would because I thought I'd hate the reuse of old characters here, but it was thought through well IMO. Damn, now I'm gonna be sad that we'll never get that movie.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Indeed!

The Old One

The Old One

Gimme PREDATOR 3 you ugly, motherf**kers!

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

There are some good elements here, but overall I'm really not a fan of it, sorry. Though, with that said, it's miles better than anything we've had post-P2.

I don't like the 'Dutch when to live a lonely life' trope which a lot of fanfic/theories seem to bandy about. I don' think it suits the character.

Also, wouldn't any predator seeking revenge technically want to go after Harrigan? I mean, he *actually* killed one in armed combat in front of its peers/elder(s). Dutch merely forced one into self-destruct mode.

The way to save the franchise after The Predator is definitely to get Arnie back. He obviously didn't want the cameo offered to him by Shane Black and, I think we all feel he could've brought more to that film (or any other). But he is how you save it.

The one thing the OP does touch on is the 'boxing film' trope. That is definitely how he needs to be used in a future film. He's old, he's past it, he can't win by himself - so it's about passing on the torch. IMO, it should be something like:

Post P1 he's 'detained' by Dillon's superiors. They've been in operation for some years after happening upon their 'first' encounter (this would flesh out Ana's story a bit) by accident while spying on Cuba during the Cold War (or something els along these lines). It could also touch on things like Nixon's Strategic Defence Initiative in the 80s as a response to ET activity as opposed to the Nuclear Deterrent they fed the public. (serves to show how high reaching OWLF were/are).

Arnie is recruited but with the intention he gets a unit together to investigate/eliminate any future threats. This is agreed to, but at the same time Peter Keyes is on-boarded and the 'science division' have their own ideas. This leads to Keyes being sent to LA in '97 instead of Dutch that unfolding as we know.

Post P2, Harrigan is put through the same interrogation by the Govt./OWLF where he and Dutch bond during his 'stay' over their mutual dislike of Keyes and what he stood for and both remind their 'bosses' that Keyes and his team screwed the pooch big time. Harrigan is not recruited as he just wants to put it behind him and forget it ever happened.

He goes back to LA as a cop but is forever under surveillance by the Govt. and Dutch keeps contact with him outside of his job, as it were.

I don't think Harrigan's character was in any way as strong as Dutch's, and I'd use this as a means to write him out the story, being frank. Plus Danny Glover these days looks like he finally got too old for this shit!. Maybe Harrigan returned and kept his secret for years when his son and wife are killed by the LA gangs he wanted to go back and rid the streets of? So he spirals into a depression and after years of alcohol abuse/breakdowns he kills himself. He has a quiet funeral and laid to rest at Arlington for his 'services'. Could have a scene where Dutch visits his 'Old Friend' and places Danny's necklace or Adolini's pistol at the grave?

The pred encounters continue at various spots throughout the years until modern day, at which point I'd introduce a Bad Blood film whereby a Pred goes nuts, and either a team pf Preds or lone Pred is dispatched to kill/retrieve him. At which point Dutch's team re-enters the fold. (I posted my idea for the next film in the Pred 5 thread so won't take up any more screen space here).

Russ

Russ

I fcking LOVED this pitch.

What if the Predator was Jungle Hunter's daughter - that'd give you the female predator thing that seems to be gathering pace... also, it makes it harder for Dutch because she hunts and fights in a different way to the males... (or that could be a rubbish idea, I don't know).

But I thought this was a really great concept  - the second act part is the weakest with Harrigan's team globe-trotting and getting wiped out because as he says, you have to introduce, give-rootablity and then wipe out a team of people in a series of set pieces that could become samey.

And if you montaged it (a la Rocky IV) you've lost a lot of minutes right there.

Also, the team-being-killed-off thing doesn't really connect to the final conflict - it exists only to show Harrigan's crisis and if we're splitting this between Dutch's training routine - we still have a good thirty / forty minutes to use up... which is too short to really get us to care about ALL the team members (or is it) and too long to have essentially the same set-up / resolution in different exotic locations... team goes to Tokyo, gets wiped out, smaller team goes to Syria, gets wiped out, last team goes to Brazil or Mexico City and gets wiped out...

Is there a place for Royce and / or Anna in all this. Doubtful you could get Brody, but if Anna was leading the team, that'd give you at least the team-leader that you know and love.

I could be wayyyy off course, but that seemed like the problem to me... great setup, great resolution but an unconnected middle part.

Edit - Funk master's was pretty good too!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed