PREDATOR 2 Sequel PREDATOR 3: A PITCH

Started by The Old One, Feb 22, 2019, 03:32:44 PM

Author
PREDATOR 2 Sequel PREDATOR 3: A PITCH (Read 1,539 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Pitch:
@FullFatVideos

Thoughts?

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

I'm at work, but I definitely need to hear/see this later.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

31 Minutes!  I'll try to listen to this tonight.  :)

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

To me it seems going for too much nostalgia points. He had me until going back to the same exact jungle again. That and the fact a predator wouldn't self destruct to prevent his tech from falling into human hands. I do like the idea of expanding Dutch' as a character though. That part was good. But I don't think that this guy knows as much about the lore as we do. I will say the entire concept is better than what we got in 2018.

The Old One

The Old One

Lore doesn't matter, a good story does and I think aside from some tweaking this is an excellent basis.

I really dig the idea of Dutch attempting to fight honourably, his view warped by the one incident that happened to him thirty years ago and Harrigan snapping him out of it, seeing many Predators come and go since and saying the honour thing is BS- let's kill this f**ker.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 22, 2019, 08:45:12 PM
Lore doesn't matter, a good story does and I think aside from some tweaking this is an excellent basis.

I really dig the idea of Dutch attempting to fight honourably, his view warped by the one incident that happened to him thirty years ago and Harrigan snapping him out of it, seeing many Predators come and go since and saying the honour thing is BS- let's kill this f**ker.

I would greatly disagree. Lore is what assists in telling a good story.

World-building is so much more than just a framing device. It's the very essence of any good fantasy or science fiction story, and the basis of a sense of place in other genres.

Good world-building lends an immersive richness to your movie, while also giving viewers the information they need to understand characters and plot lines.

Dictionary.com defines lore as "the body of knowledge, especially of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature, on a particular subject."

UrbanDictionary.com describes lore as "The collective history and the sum of all knowledge available about a certain fantasy or sci-fi universe" or "The story or reasoning behind occurrences."

When writing horror, fantasy or any form of speculative fiction, lore provides consistency, a set of rules and standards that make your fictional universe believable. What are the specific characteristics, powers and limitations of your characters and why?

Without lore there is no suspension of disbelief. You need it to tell good stories.

When you don't do that, you get: The Predator.

The Old One

The Old One

I was referring to the EU Lore, I thought you were too. In no way did I see the pitch contradicting anything in the first two Predator flicks.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 22, 2019, 09:32:46 PM
I was referring to the EU Lore, I thought you were too. In no way did I see the pitch contradicting anything in the first two Predator flicks.

He cherry picked some EU elements. That's where most of the honor based stuff comes from. That and Predator 2.

I think that was mostly unknowingly. I also find it hard to believe Harrigan would join Keyes' lot given his experience with them in P2. That's yet another issue with this proposal.

The Old One

The Old One

The oppressed sometimes becomes the oppressor. (Magneto)

In the same way, I can easily see the Predator's existence consuming Harrigan's life and OWLF being the easiest and most direct outlet, maybe the way to prevent another Peter Keyes, is to assume that position of power so no one else can abuse it in Harrigan's view.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 22, 2019, 09:51:44 PM

In the same way, I can easily see the Predator's existence consuming Harrigan's life and OWLF being the easiest and most direct outlet, maybe the way to prevent another Peter Keyes, is to assume that position of power so no one else can abuse it in Harrigan's view.

That would literally be the only way to explain it. But they didn't seem too keen on including him into anything at the end of P2. Also OWLF sounds terrible... :D I hope that they rename that sucker.

The Old One

The Old One

What about just OWLF?

I don't know I think the whole concept is pretty solid, you can even parallel Dutch's perception of the Predator's honour with our own society's perception of it in the military, our disconnect from morality using various justifications to take a life. Just like Dillon betraying Dutch in Predator, and his justifications- you can play with that concept and the ideas of where the place is in society for those in the military that are discarded because they don't become "pencil pushers" -Harrigan and Dutch could be mirrors of each other in this way.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 22, 2019, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 22, 2019, 09:51:44 PM

That would literally be the only way to explain it. But they didn't seem too keen on including him into anything at the end of P2. Also OWLF sounds terrible... :D I hope that they rename that sucker.

ROGUE

Rapid observational group for unidentified extraterrestrials

FART

Friendly Alien Response Team

The Old One

The Old One

lol  :-X

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I've always liked the idea of bringing Harrigan and Dutch together. It's funny almost everyone who pictures a new story with Dutch always puts him in a remote cabin somewhere, far away from society. :)

I'm not discarding the idea, but I'm not completely sold on Harrigan joining OWLF. Nor am I a fan of returning to the same jungle either. But I do like how it ends, and how it provides closure.  Plus the pitch had me at hello, when I saw the "Predator 3" logo.  :o

There's some good stuff in there. Thanks for sharing it Old One.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 23, 2019, 12:09:24 AM
I've always liked the idea of bringing Harrigan and Dutch together. It's funny almost everyone who pictures a new story with Dutch always puts him in a remote cabin somewhere, far away from society. :)

I'm not discarding the idea, but I'm not completely sold on Harrigan joining OWLF. Nor am I a fan of returning to the same jungle either. But I do like how it ends, and how it provides closure.  Plus the pitch had me at hello, when I saw the "Predator 3" logo.  :o

There's some good stuff in there. Thanks for sharing it Old One.

I think this is the movie most of us wanted, but didn't get.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed