How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 21, 2019, 02:24:41 PM

Author
How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)? (Read 12,558 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Mar 20, 2019, 01:39:07 PM
I've not said it's a retelling or a remake, but it is a retread of the original. It's entire premise is, essentially, Predator on a different planet.

Outside of the whole "Predators hunt people" premise that exists in all the films, once again, I completely disagree. From the very opening it's a completely different story.

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Mar 20, 2019, 01:39:07 PM
Every key event in Predator 'happens' in Predators. I'd disagree about it being a homage as a homage is more a subtle nod, as far as I'm concerned. Predatrs is just the same things happen but slightly differently.

Not always. They can be as subtle as a brick in the head. Which is a problem Predators does have as the homages are anything but subtle. 

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 01:20:36 PM
I think this all started with you quoting me "It gets knocked for retreading the first film", which I stand by. But I agree with you the entire package is not a retread. There's just enough retreading going on that warrants some criticisms to many, imo. 

I agree it deserves criticism for the repeated beats but I think it's often blown out of proportion. I think any sequel deserves those criticisms.

QuoteI still like the movie though! And the premise is fantastic!  :)

Good! It's the one film in the franchise's I find I truly get defensive over.

Voodoo Magic

A "homage" is something that shows respect or attests to the worth or influence of another. A "retread" is something made or done again especially in slightly altered form.

I've had fans of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" argue the same thing with me. It's not retreading segments of A New Hope! It's homages! When it's in that quantity, to me it's lazy writing and just lots of retreading.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's a completely different thing. The Force Awakens is retreading. It's not beats or moments or minor aspects, it's whole story structures.

Voodoo Magic

It's not a different thing. TFA doesn't carbon copy ANH. But it is just more egregious than Predators.

Look at the huge list I typed with Predator/Predators. You choose to call this homages which is not technically wrong. I choose to call it retreading which is not technically wrong. It's all based on perspective. Neither is baseless.

Corporal Hicks

I feel this has been wrapped up in semantics in regards to the re-words as I very much equate retreading to be equal to remaking.

My issue is when people claim that Predators is nothing more than just retelling/remaking/rewhatevering Predator and that is an assertion that is very much incorrect. I think the level in which Predators reuses elements, beats, moments, whatever from the first film is completely blown out of proportion.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 20, 2019, 02:47:29 PM
I feel this has been wrapped up in semantics in regards to the re-words as I very much equate retreading to be equal to remaking.

My issue is when people claim that Predators is nothing more than just retelling/remaking/rewhatevering Predator and that is an assertion that is very much incorrect. I think the level in which Predators reuses elements, beats, moments, whatever from the first film is completely blown out of proportion.

Well put me smack in the middle... between the people who claim that Predators is nothing more than just retelling/remaking/rewhatevering.. and the people that think the level in which Predators reuses elements, beats, moments, whatever from the first film is completely blown out of proportion.

To me I can still enjoy Predators, but it still detracts from it.

Cheers! ;D

PredBabe

Predators may be the stronger movie but I enjoy watching The Predator more. It's just fun even if it's somewhat senseless and all over the place. Plus the lab escape scene tops pretty much all scenes in Predators.

Predator 2 still remains to be my favorite sequel though. It's has just the right amount of outlandish 90s sci-fi mixed with some loveable new creature ideas and designs.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Mar 20, 2019, 04:31:04 PM
Predator 2 still remains to be my favorite sequel though. It's has just the right amount of outlandish 90s sci-fi mixed with some loveable new creature ideas and designs.

Now we're talking!

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 04:35:12 PM

Now we're talking!

https://i.imgur.com/boyRiZp.gif

And don't forget . . . you-know-who.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Mar 20, 2019, 04:47:21 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 04:35:12 PM

Now we're talking!

https://i.imgur.com/boyRiZp.gif

And don't forget . . . you-know-who.

Kradan

What i love in P2 is Los Angeles set. I like idea of Predator moving through big crowded city and still remaining unvisible to anyone.

Add the score and meathouse scene here. Perfect.

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 20, 2019, 02:54:31 PM

Well put me smack in the middle... between the people who claim that Predators is nothing more than just retelling/remaking/rewhatevering.. and the people that think the level in which Predators reuses elements, beats, moments, whatever from the first film is completely blown out of proportion.

To me I can still enjoy Predators, but it still detracts from it.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/7c028660b80fabecc721098c33f5ccb6/tumblr_oli5pu83si1rstq9ro2_500.gif

Cheers! ;D

Going to agree with you here, and not just because I'm a Predators fan.  I feel like people get hung up on the "hunting down a group of people" angle, in the jungle, and automatically equate it to being a carbon of the original.  Yes, there are similarities - but no, it's not a carbon copy.  The Predator always hunts down a group, killing one by one, and that group is always diverse  :laugh:  In that regard, all of the movies are somewhat the same.  I think the movie was different enough to add to the lore, but similar enough to the original to make it feel like it belonged in the boxset (so to speak.)

Stitch

I think, basically, Predators uses a lot of the same elements to tell a different story. It's not a remake because it's not telling the same story as Predator, but it is in a lot of ways a retread because it's using the exact same mechanics and storytelling devices as the first.

It's more than a homage, and less than a remake.

Still, it's a good film. Better than AVP, AVP:R & The Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 23, 2019, 09:36:47 AM

I think, basically, Predators uses a lot of the same elements to tell a different story. It's not a remake because it's not telling the same story as Predator, but it is in a lot of ways a retread because it's using the exact same mechanics and storytelling devices as the first.

Perfectly said.

Predators still makes a nice three movie set for fans though.  I really wish we could have added The Predator without impunity, but alas, it's somewhat poetic I guess that the fourth Predator film became the Alien Resurrection of its own franchise.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 23, 2019, 01:43:08 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Mar 23, 2019, 09:36:47 AM

Perfectly said.

Predators still makes a nice three movie set for fans though.  I really wish we could have added The Predator without impunity, but alas, it's somewhat poetic I guess that the fourth Predator film became the Alien Resurrection of its own franchise.

Someone should draw the Newborn and the Upgrade Predator having pizza and talking about how they're the oddest members of their families.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed