The Weyland-Yutani Report makes AVP canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Feb 21, 2019, 05:32:44 AM

Author
The Weyland-Yutani Report makes AVP canon? (Read 13,503 times)

Frosty Venom

Now I know this is likely to ruffle some feathers but that is not the intention of this post. I simply want to have a discussion around these ideas.

Many people use examples from The Weyland-Yutani Report to argue against AVP being canon but I find you can do quite the opposite. The Weyland-Yutani Report canonizes the 2014 Alien Novel Trilogy with it's reference to the events of Out of the Shadows and River of Pain (mentioning Captain D. Brackett by name).

Out of Shadows introduces an alien species other than the Xenomorphs - the Drukathi. The Drukathi play an important yet mysterious role in The Rage War Trilogy; an AVP story. The first book of the Rage War - Predator: Incursion mentions the events of Sea of Sorrows when Weyland-Yutani has been running a successful Xenomorph research program aboard the USS Evelyn-Tew following the recovery of samples from New Galveston.

River of Pain also makes reference to the comic series Fire and Stone when Anne assumes Cale, Dione, and Russell had slipped away to get to the Onager, an excavation vessel that some colonists of Hadley's Hope used as a makeshift escape vehicle to ferry themselves off planet when the colony was infested in Aliens: Fire and Stone.

So if you consider The Weyland-Yutani Report canon does that also make AVP canon?

SM

SM

There are also no references to the AvP films.

I can't offer anything more.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Maybe because the entire expedition was destroyed (except Lex) by a Predator self-destruct device and buried by ice and then the United States Army used a tactical nuclear strike on Gunnison, Colorado to destroy any evidence of the Xenomorph infestation. Perhaps this successfully kept the events under wraps?

Maybe the films aren't canon (I think they could be) but the new AVP canon is?

SM

There is no reference the Weyland Corporation of AvP and its founder.  There would be no need to cover this up.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

You just love to revert to the same old arguments don't you? Haha that's okay.

There's no need to reference the spiritual predecessor of the Weyland Corporation (Weyland Industries) especially when it's going to make Peter and his corporation look all the more powerful. It also doesn't relate to Xenomorph XX121 and its historical interactions with mankind. Which is the purpose of Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report as a technical guide.

But I'm talking about the Weyland-Yutani Report and how it relates to AVP novels and comics, not films, in this thread.

Local Trouble

Does it reference DotS?

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 21, 2019, 06:17:04 AM
Does it reference DotS?

Unfortunately not.  :P

SM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 21, 2019, 06:03:25 AM
You just love to revert to the same old arguments don't you? Haha that's okay.

There's no need to reference the spiritual predecessor of the Weyland Corporation (Weyland Industries) especially when it's going to make Peter and his corporation look all the more powerful. It also doesn't relate to Xenomorph XX121 and its historical interactions with mankind. Which is the purpose of Alien: The Weyland-Yutani Report as a technical guide.

But I'm talking about the Weyland-Yutani Report and how it relates to AVP novels and comics, not films, in this thread.

Oasis Nadrama

Why would you even want to put AVP back into the canon?

Local Trouble

For a lot of fans, there shouldn't even be an A without a P.  :(

Local Trouble

That they're inextricable.  Like peas and carrots.  Peanut butter and jelly.  Pork and beans.  Shepard and Vakarian.

The Old One

The Old One

Shepard and Vakarian's a five star restaurant quality meal, AVP's afterbirth.

@OP

No, the presence of the "Drukathi" (f**king d u m b) in OotS/RoP/SoS doesn't not therefore make AVP Canon anymore than Dwayne Hick's presence in Aliens makes ACM Canon, or any other myriad examples.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 21, 2019, 07:04:04 AM

That's harsh.

The Old One

The Old One

Frosty Venom

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 21, 2019, 07:04:04 AM

@OP

No, the presence of the "Drukathi" (f**king d u m b) in OotS/RoP/SoS doesn't not therefore make AVP Canon anymore than Dwayne Hick's presence in Aliens makes ACM Canon, or any other myriad examples.

You have not given a rebuttal for the links I have provided between The Weyland-Yutani report (which you often site), the 2014 Alien Trilogy/The Rage War Trilogy and Fire and stone.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 21, 2019, 06:55:08 AM
For a lot of fans, there shouldn't even be an A without a P.  :(

I definitely can and often do enjoy Alien and Predator separately but I also thoroughly enjoy AVP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed