Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 18, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither?

Vegan
Vagatarian
Neither
Author
Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks? (Read 4,525 times)

LastSurvivor92

Just curious, I know a lot of folks who go really like health foods and eating clean.

What's your opinion/experience?

Ingwar

I'm almost vegan. Don't eat meat, fish all diary products at home. In this case I'm 100% vegan but at work I don't mind drinking tea with a bit of milk.

Immortan Jonesy

Neither here. But I only like to eat white meat (poultry, fish and seafood). I'm quite interested in the subject though  :)

Huggs

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 18, 2019, 10:59:08 PM
Neither here. But I only like to eat white meat (poultry, fish and seafood). I'm quite interested in the subject though  :)

Similar. I try to confine my meats to birds. I hate fish. I still eat beef every now and then. Gotta get that protein. But I hardly ever eat processed junk like bologna or hot dogs. That stuff jacks up your pancreatic cancer risk like nobody's business. And you can't live without that pancreas.

Frosty Venom

I was almost vegan for awhile some time ago. No meat or cows milk but the occasional cheese or egg. At the moment I try to avoid meat and dairy as much as possible but do still often partake. Been meaning to return to the meatless diet as it does make me feel fairly guilty to support big meat industry companies that slaughter so many animals in horrible ways on such a large scale just to fulfil our lust for animal flesh. The meat industry is also the biggest cause of green house gases and I can't even imagine how much water the industry would use. We could also feed the world with the amount of wheat used to create just the red meat we eat.

Also it's just the healthier option.  :o

SiL

Oh boy do not start on "the healthier option". It's really not. You can 100% eat a shittier vegan diet than one that includes meat.

My fiancee is a dietician and I will fight all of you on this subject so help me God.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 04:53:37 AM
Oh boy do not start on "the healthier option". It's really not. You can 100% eat a shittier vegan diet than one that includes meat.

My fiancee is a dietician and I will fight all of you on this subject so help me God.

True. I also try and keep politics out of as many areas of my life as possible. Including the dinner table.

yautjapet

I'm vegan, or 95% vegan I should say. I do it for the environment and animals, rather than for my health, and since everything I've read indicates that going vegan is the best thing you can do for the environment, that's a major selling point for me and makes me feel like I'm doing the best I can. So far I've noticed no particular drawbacks - purchasing groceries and eating out takes more mental effort, but not much since veganism is becoming prevalent now and there are tons more options than just tofu and lettuce! I'll also say that I think it's far more feasible to reduce your intake of meat and animal products than to say "it has to be 100% or nothing." Anybody can try out some vegan/vegetarian dishes a few times a week and see what you think!

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 04:53:37 AM

At the end of the day it's up to the vegan person which diet he/she chooses: healthy vegan or shitty vegan. Most vegans are have met are more on healthy vegan diet rather than shitty one.

SiL

You can say that about literally any diet, though. That's my point. It's not inherently healthier to not eat meat.

Deadmeat

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 07:53:39 AM
You can say that about literally any diet, though. That's my point. It's not inherently healthier to not eat meat.

We get it?

Not vegetarian but I've noticed a considerable positive change in mood/well-being once I started eating less red meats. I still eat them, just not ever day or two like I used to. I've also been trying to eat more seafood, but that's too expensive to consistently maintain.
It's kinda more fun to cook when you challenge yourself not to use any meat too, especially if the people you cook for aren't fond of meat-free meals. Would I convert to that kind of lifestyle entirely? Probably not. But my experience in being more open with these options has only been positive so far.

SiL

Quote from: Deadmeat on Feb 19, 2019, 10:10:32 AM
We get it?
I'm sorry, does me responding to replies to my posts annoy you or something... ???

QuoteIt's kinda more fun to cook when you challenge yourself not to use any meat too, especially if the people you cook for aren't fond of meat-free meals.
Ever tried jackfruit as a meat substitute? Makes the nicest barbecue pulled "pork".

SM

Seriously?  Jackfruit as pulled pork?

SiL

Yes, but you have to use the canned jackfruit in brine, not the syrup stuff.

It probably wouldn't fool anyone if you tried to pass it off as actual pork, but god damn it's a really, really nice alternative.

SM

I think the only jackfruit I've had is fresh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed