Is it great to be a young fan?

Started by Kradan, Feb 14, 2019, 11:56:55 PM

Author
Is it great to be a young fan? (Read 4,370 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 07, 2018, 10:22:35 AM
I wish you'd make some calls and get them to tack the Fox fanfare on to the new Star Wars movies.

SM

SM

I did.

Local Trouble

I also want the retro-style green block letters for Lucasfilm instead of that fancy new-fangled logo of theirs.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 15, 2019, 03:09:17 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 15, 2019, 02:15:59 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 15, 2019, 01:30:17 AM
There will never be movies or games as good as those that came before.

It's quite depressive. I prefer to be more optimistic.

It's realistic, there can be good stuff, just not as good the old ones. We can still get 7-8/10 things, just never another on pair with ALIEN, PREDATOR or AVP2(2001).

Why not? Have talented people ran out? Or what? It's kinda unjusticied for anything that will come out in future. If you pre-set yourself in that way you won't be able to be amazed and excited anymore. And i think that people often overrated old movies, see them as unbeatable masterpieces and in generall consider everything what left in the past as better then what we have right now.

Also if it  ::)  is named as realistic POV i prefer to stay with my "unrealistic" POV and continue to hope.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy not? Have talented people ran out?

No, but the original films had the advantage of being something we'd never seen before.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2019, 05:26:08 PM
Why not? Have talented people ran out?

Its not just about talent. Talent people can have bad ideas that are not suited for a specific thing.

Or what? It's kinda unjusticied for anything that will come out in future.

They are free to prove me wrong.

If you pre-set yourself in that way you won't be able to be amazed and excited anymore.

I can enjoy and look for 7-8/10 stuff. It can still be good. Hell I enjoyed playing ACM, I just don't think the ones on the past will be surpassed.

Also if it  ::)  is named as realistic POV i prefer to stay with my "unrealistic" POV and continue to hope.

No problem.

Predwars24

Predwars24

Well having grown up with parents that let me watch these movies all my life, I can say that I don't really see age as hindering anything. It can make a viewpoint more different than most. Also about the whole thing with why can't anything be better than the original, to me it's a mixed bag. It really depends where they take the franchise, some movies are better than their originals, and others are not all that great, it's also a matter of opinion, and the fact that you don't know what an Alien or Predator are until that first movie comes out, but some people also don't see the first movie first like they should and watch maybe the third movie instead and will love it more, it really just depends on a variety of things.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 16, 2019, 09:13:38 PM
I can enjoy and look for 7-8/10 stuff. It can still be good. Hell I enjoyed playing ACM, I just don't think the ones on the past will be surpassed.
It's sort of an unwinnable situation, for the reason SM pointed out - 'Alien' (and to a degree, 'Aliens') had the advantage of being something no one had ever seen before, which automatically gave it a leg up. For something to "surpass" the originals, it would have an easier time forging its own identity with something completely unrelated -- and in doing so, the originals are still "unsurpassed" because the new work is unrelated.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 17, 2019, 12:30:30 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 16, 2019, 09:13:38 PM
It's sort of an unwinnable situation, for the reason SM pointed out - 'Alien' (and to a degree, 'Aliens') had the advantage of being something no one had ever seen before, which automatically gave it a leg up. For something to "surpass" the originals, it would have an easier time forging its own identity with something completely unrelated -- and in doing so, the originals are still "unsurpassed" because the new work is unrelated.

I suppose this is all subjective. I evaluate these movies in characters/acting, history development/plot and creatures design/behavior. I give a grade for each aspect, then take the average. The originals got higher grades, on the sequels there is always one aspect that gets a lower grade thus the average is lower than the originals. If a new movie get everything right it can get a high grade too.

For me its not about being the first one, like avp2 is the best game, it wasn't the first, it copied a lot from AVP Classic, but on the aspects I use to evaluate a game it ended up with the biggest grade, so its the best.

Corporal Hicks

Despite how old I actually get, SM makes me feel like a teenager all the time when it comes to fandom. lol. I regret that I missed out on the "golden age", so to speak, of the EU. And I will forever hate that I didn't get to experience Alien War. But that said, I do think it's still been a good time to be an Alien fan.

All that older material is there and while we're not getting as much content being cranked out as frequently in the 90s, we're still getting a book or a comic series a year. It's been fairly constant in terms of movie and game releases too. In terms of coming in as a younger fan, I think that's cool. You've got the older backlog to get through and you've got the new stuff to look forward to.

The Old One

The Old One

It is great to be a young fan, I may live yet to see another through and through good Alien Film, or potentially a TV Series.

SM

SM

QuoteDespite how old I actually get, SM makes me feel like a teenager all the time when it comes to fandom. lol.

My lawn. Get off of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed