Is it great to be a young fan?

Started by Kradan, Feb 14, 2019, 11:56:55 PM

Author
Is it great to be a young fan? (Read 4,373 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2019, 06:13:50 AM
David Shipley.

"Me, I'd just rape." - David Shipley, circa ... 2004?5?
I recognized the name David Shipley but I must have taken a break from the online fandom before that happened.

Uh... yikes.

Local Trouble

Surely there was some context that would justify such a remark.

SiL

SiL

A photo of a passed-out girl at what looked like a frat party. It was something about how other guys would draw dicks or take photos of a passed out chick, while he'd just rape.

On the front page of PlanetAvP.

Which he was getting paid to run by GameSpy.

For everyone to see.

Site closed not long after that.

Local Trouble

Jesus.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Feb 15, 2019, 06:30:38 AM
A photo of a passed-out girl at what looked like a frat party. It was something about how other guys would draw dicks or take photos of a passed out chick, while he'd just rape.

On the front page of PlanetAvP.

Which he was getting paid to run by GameSpy.

For everyone to see.

Site closed not long after that.
Holy shit.

SiL

SiL

But the community was awesome!

Corporal Hicks

f**king Dave Shipley. I never liked him or PAvP. I was an AvP News boy.

SiL

SiL

Traitor! PAvP was to the community then what AvPG is now.

Necronomicon II

Samhain13

Samhain13

I remember finding PlanetAVP, they wrote a lot of stuff about avp2, back then I didn't even knew what online forums were, so I just read their articles. Months before AVPR came out they stopped updating the news about it, so I moved to see stuff here.

SiL

SiL

2004-2007 was the downturn of the site. I looked on the Wayback Machine and my last real activity there was around 2005-2006ish. After that I migrated here.

windebieste

windebieste

Ah, them days is gone. 

Them days is loooong gone. 

-Windebieste.

SiL

SiL

Those daaays are paaaased now, and in the paaaast they will remaiiiin...

Still Collating...

Wow, now that's quite a story.
I'm 22 and I watched the films in order. Alien to A:R, Predator , Predator 2, and then the AvPs. Still thought the Newborn was the worst design ever, I do enjoy both AVPs, especially the first one even though I know it's not a masterpiece to say the least. That was all around 2009. My opinions on some of the movies changed over time, but still, since the first time I watched Alien, I was hooked. A great part of it is due to the expanded universe, all that media that furthered my immersion. I remember reading the wiki and xenopedia articles, the Anchorpoint essays as well were just brilliant.

First, I was fascinated by the biology of the creature more than anything else, maybe I still am, and I remember having such fond memories of reading the Earth war trilogy when I was frequently ill with the flue. This obsession has been growing more and more over the years and it is somehow always comforting to me. All the movies, figures, games, comic books, novels, they are my safe space where I can be calm and at peace, yet make me thrilled with every new release.
This franchise is definitely a big part of my life and my greatest hobby if I can call it that. I've learned so much about so many things thanks to a usually indirect involvement with the Alien/Predator franchise that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

I, as a young fan find it thrilling to have 40 years worth of awesome Sci Fi history at my fingertips. I'm grateful, enjoying most of the media coming out and hoping the future of the franchise is bright.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 15, 2019, 01:30:17 AM
There will never be movies or games as good as those that came before.

It's quite depressive. I prefer to be more optimistic.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 15, 2019, 09:36:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcb4_QwP6fE

I'm interested what happens if say to people that you still haven't watched any Star Wars movie? Because that exactly what i haven't done.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed