User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two ALIEN TV Shows in the works (Rumour)  (Read 11936 times)

SM
Sep 30, 2020, 06:33:23 AM
Reply #240 on: Sep 30, 2020, 06:33:23 AM
Q
I wasn't disagreeing.

And in reference to a post a few posts up - The Terror was f**king great.  Something like for Alien would be sweet if it hadn't already been done with The Terror.

Silence pathetic edgelord!

But isn't that how the RPG is trending though?

Don't think so.  But people can make it trend anyway they want.  Had Olivia Schipp's story been able to progress beyond Echo, it would've gone into the a-bit-too-cosy relationship between the Company and USCM.

Local Trouble
Sep 30, 2020, 07:10:26 AM
Reply #241 on: Sep 30, 2020, 07:10:26 AM
Q
We're all counting on you to be a bulwark against that sort of thing.

SM
Sep 30, 2020, 08:36:03 AM
Reply #242 on: Sep 30, 2020, 08:36:03 AM
Q
I think the ideas they had were sound.   How they might've played out could've been different, but we'd talked a lot about how the marines worked as an organisation, how they interact with the Company, Cameron's original concept based on British-East India company etc.  So the powers-that-be were well aware of the deets.

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2020, 08:37:55 AM by SM »

Local Trouble
Oct 01, 2020, 01:16:12 AM
Reply #243 on: Oct 01, 2020, 01:16:12 AM
Q
Have you pitched a Heart of Darkness adaptation set in the Alienverse to them yet?

SM
Oct 01, 2020, 02:21:31 AM
Reply #244 on: Oct 01, 2020, 02:21:31 AM
Q
We already have Apocalypse - The Destroying Angels.

And the original Colonial Marines comic.

I had a couple of things in the pipeline before the Mouse foiled me.

TC
Oct 01, 2020, 03:33:01 AM
Reply #245 on: Oct 01, 2020, 03:33:01 AM
Q
Re. The Terror.

The Terror has a historical basis to it that helps out with its oppressive atmosphere of danger. Much like the Chernobyl mini-series. I feel like fiction has to work twice as hard to get the same kind of powerful effect. (Although, granted, Terror did have the made-up thing with the bear monster.)

TC

SM
Oct 01, 2020, 03:46:14 AM
Reply #246 on: Oct 01, 2020, 03:46:14 AM
Q
I originally thought The Terror was all fiction, but I think in the first episode they started referencing real people so I looked it up.

Local Trouble
Oct 01, 2020, 05:52:59 AM
Reply #247 on: Oct 01, 2020, 05:52:59 AM
Q
As good as it was, I didn't even bother with season two.  How was it?

SiL
Oct 01, 2020, 06:06:34 AM
Reply #248 on: Oct 01, 2020, 06:06:34 AM
Q
Re. The Terror.

The Terror has a historical basis to it that helps out with its oppressive atmosphere of danger. Much like the Chernobyl mini-series. I feel like fiction has to work twice as hard to get the same kind of powerful effect. (Although, granted, Terror did have the made-up thing with the bear monster.)

TC
A Hadley's Hope story would give us that same sense of dread -- we know it's all going to end horribly, we just want to see how. I think that's what gives things like Chernobyl and The Terror their atmosphere -- they're otherwise so fictionalised I don't feel the reality of their origin gave them too much of a leg-up.

HuDaFuK
Oct 01, 2020, 09:31:24 AM
Reply #250 on: Oct 01, 2020, 09:31:24 AM
Q
A Hadley's Hope story would give us that same sense of dread -- we know it's all going to end horribly, we just want to see how.

I've really never understood the appeal of seeing an Aliens prequel. The colony is so much creepier for not seeing how it got that way.

Although maybe my opinion's just tainted by the fact I think so little of Newt's Tale and River of Pain.

The fact remains, the same story would probably be far more interesting if you just made it another colony.

SiL
Oct 01, 2020, 10:15:36 AM
Reply #251 on: Oct 01, 2020, 10:15:36 AM
Q
Same as the appeal of seeing stories about Marie Celeste I guess.

judge death
Oct 01, 2020, 05:20:07 PM
Reply #252 on: Oct 01, 2020, 05:20:07 PM
Q
A Hadley's Hope story would give us that same sense of dread -- we know it's all going to end horribly, we just want to see how.

I've really never understood the appeal of seeing an Aliens prequel. The colony is so much creepier for not seeing how it got that way.

Although maybe my opinion's just tainted by the fact I think so little of Newt's Tale and River of Pain.

The fact remains, the same story would probably be far more interesting if you just made it another colony.
Mainly due to: nostalgia, want to see more of the aliens movie and see what happened prior to it and make it to a part of the aliens movie and make fans of it relive the feelings they had, and this is why it most often fails: as the same feeling and theme etc is almost impossible to recreate and it also in most cases fails to live up to the expectations fans have had of what happened there for so many years that only a mircale of storywriting can live up to it.

Same reason why so many fans want to get more colonial marines vs aliens movies and have more action scenes and tension and themes aliens did, instead of something new which I hold Alien 3 in high regards of doing.

So yes I like you think doing a story/movie of a different colony or ship etc getting infested by aliens and new charachters is the way to go.

SiL
Oct 01, 2020, 07:02:16 PM
Reply #253 on: Oct 01, 2020, 07:02:16 PM
Q
Yeah nah I just think there could be an interesting story there.

bb-15
Nov 13, 2020, 02:15:38 AM
Reply #254 on: Nov 13, 2020, 02:15:38 AM
Q

Mainly due to: nostalgia, want to see more of the aliens movie and see what happened prior to it and make it to a part of the aliens movie and make fans of it relive the feelings they had, and this is why it most often fails: as the same feeling and theme etc is almost impossible to recreate and it also in most cases fails to live up to the expectations fans have had of what happened there for so many years that only a mircale of storywriting can live up to it.

Same reason why so many fans want to get more colonial marines vs aliens movies and have more action scenes and tension and themes aliens did, instead of something new which I hold Alien 3 in high regards of doing.

So yes I like you think doing a story/movie of a different colony or ship etc getting infested by aliens and new charachters is the way to go.

I saw the Noah Hawley video on the AVPGalaxy YouTube channel.
It presented some interesting ideas but I think the concerns brought up by judge death highlight some of the issues for any future Alien TV/Streaming project.
- Getting the audience to feel the same terror of the original "Alien" or the same rush from "Aliens" is very difficult even in a bigger budget movie.
In a TV series where the budget is much smaller, the task is even harder.
- I'm not saying it's impossible and I'd love to be proved wrong.

- Hawley says he wants to set up the story first without the aliens/Xenomorphs.
That could be kind of like "Another Life", the Katee Sackoff series on Netflix. That was successful enough to be renewed for another season.
Still, the expectations for that show were very low. A mediocre monster on a ship story was good enough.
- But put the Alien name on a new series and the expectations from some viewers will be; ’ was it as good as "Aliens" or “Alien”?’
- That is a tough puzzle to solve.
(Ridley went another direction with some related ideas in "Raised by Wolves". It's not about “Alien“ though.)

- Hawley mentioned “The Mandalorian”. It's a western in space built around a cute baby Yoda. In terms of demographics, it's a family show.
Alien projects have never had such a wide appeal.
It's going to be tough to get Disney to agree to putting up the money for an Alien Disney+ TV series.
Yet I believe that eventually Disney will change their mind and a new Alien film will happen.

;)

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed