VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"?

Started by Voodoo Magic, Feb 12, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Author
VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"? (Read 21,408 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 17, 2019, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 17, 2019, 03:41:12 PM
But there is no agree to disagree with some. Some need to be right, and get in the last word to boot. Otherwise it's an itch they can't scratch.

That does seems to summarize many discussions I have seen over the years here.

Yeah, unfortunately, considering this is fandom and supposed to be fun!  :-\

426Buddy

Then there are people who seem overly lighthearted and never serious, but are actually quite defensive of their opinions and don't like when the logic of there theories are questioned.

Oh well

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 17, 2019, 04:38:02 PM
Then there are people who seem overly lighthearted and never serious, but are actually quite defensive of their opinions and don't like when the logic of there theories are questioned.

Come on now, ya actually got to read the thread before you make statements like that. These are all replies of mine, to my therioes being questioned. None are duplicated:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 12, 2019, 10:43:57 PM
Thanks brother John. You may be right, the City Hunter might be young and reckless.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 13, 2019, 01:23:03 PM
And that's the neat thing when it's left unambiguous. We can all come away with a different take on it.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 13, 2019, 02:23:49 PM
In all seriousness, I can get that. Cheers!

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 14, 2019, 12:59:30 PM
And because you feel this behavior is valid play, it directs your opinion. Fair enough.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 14, 2019, 04:47:28 PM
Fair enough.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 14, 2019, 09:59:15 PM
It's okay if we disagree.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 01:24:00 AM
Agree or disagree in that context, that's cool.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 02:03:25 AM
Ha! Fair point! :laugh:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 15, 2019, 01:53:58 AM
Fair points.  :)

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 14, 2019, 11:57:17 AM
It was slim pickings for human prey in the jungle.

After watching the first movie again this weekend I remembered this line, it wasn't slim pickings in the jungle. There were Hopper's men, the guerrilla's at the encampment Dutch's team destroyed, and Hawkins says that there were more guerrillas a mile or two away (hence no chopper pick up at the camp).

JH saw what Dutch's team did to the guerrillas and marked them as the better game to hunt.Since he tried to kill Dutch while he was playing bait, and again with the plasma cannon after Billy died, I don't think he was ever purposefully saving Dutch for last. I doubt he "knew" how much of a challenge Dutch would be until their final fight.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 17, 2019, 08:00:59 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 14, 2019, 11:57:17 AM
It was slim pickings for human prey in the jungle.

After watching the first movie again this weekend I remembered this line, it wasn't slim pickings in the jungle. There were Hopper's men, the guerrilla's at the encampment Dutch's team destroyed, and Hawkins says that there were more guerrillas a mile or two away (hence no chopper pick up at the camp).

JH saw what Dutch's team did to the guerrillas and marked them as the better game to hunt.Since he tried to kill Dutch while he was playing bait, and again with the plasma cannon after Billy died, I don't think he was ever purposefully saving Dutch for last. I doubt he "knew" how much of a challenge Dutch would be until their final fight.

Ah, the more guerrillas!  I forgot about that! That's a really good catch. Nicely done! :)

And much agreed about Dutch.

SiL

My post was supposed to be fun. Pose a question. Not a declaration. But for some, instead of a desire to discuss and explore ideas, they are firing off shots trying, with a goal in mind - discredit.
The idea was always to discuss ideas, but when pressed on points you just kept going back to your original statements even when people presented perfectly valid counter points - or just saying "cool, thanks".

Exploring ideas doesn't mean agreeing to disagree when two people don't see eye to eye, it means, well, exploring ideas. And some ideas end up not having much strength behind them.

That's not a bad thing. So many cool ideas have been had over the years but when poked and prodded a little they don't hold up. And that's fine! That's part of the fun. We move on, have new epiphanies, and start over.

People disagreeing with you isn't being condescending or shitting on your thoughts, it's the honest point of having a discussion.

If you think that posing a topic to discuss means everyone has to think your idea is wonderful or valid or full of merit regardless of anything else, that's not really having a discussion. That's just looking for people to pat you on the back for how clever you've been for having an idea.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 20, 2019, 01:46:57 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2019, 01:31:50 PM
My post was supposed to be fun. Pose a question. Not a declaration. But for some, instead of a desire to discuss and explore ideas, they are firing off shots trying, with a goal in mind - discredit.
The idea was always to discuss ideas, but when pressed on points you just kept going back to your original statements even when people presented perfectly valid counter points - or just saying "cool, thanks".

Exploring ideas doesn't mean agreeing to disagree when two people don't see eye to eye, it means, well, exploring ideas. And some ideas end up not having much strength behind them.

That's not a bad thing. So many cool ideas have been had over the years but when poked and prodded a little they don't hold up. And that's fine! That's part of the fun. We move on, have new epiphanies, and start over.

People disagreeing with you isn't being condescending or shitting on your thoughts, it's the honest point of having a discussion.

If you think that posing a topic to discuss means everyone has to think your idea is wonderful or valid or full of merit regardless of anything else, that's not really having a discussion. That's just looking for people to pat you on the back for how clever you've been for having an idea.

Mmmm. A fresh cup of passive aggressiveness in the morning. Tasty!  Righty-o. I thought when I posted a theory, everyone was obligated to agree with me. That's not in the forum rules? My bad!

Not a single person agreed with my theory. Not a single one. Yet we had civil discussions for some reason? What could be the difference here? It's not disagreements itself.  Hmmm.... let me think.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

AhabPredator

QuoteA fresh cup of passive aggressiveness.
To be fair, we do have two buttons for that issue. I use them when necessary. ;D Which has been pretty often lately.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 20, 2019, 04:20:05 PM
To be fair, we do have two buttons for that issue. I use them when necessary. ;D Which has been pretty often lately.

Ah, true. Indeed. Wise point sir.

Now I know why, when we hang out together around here, everyone refers to you as the smart one.  ;D

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 20, 2019, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 20, 2019, 04:20:05 PM

Ah, true. Indeed. Wise point sir.

Now I know why, when we hang out together around here, everyone refers to you as the smart one.  ;D

I'm not necessarily smart...but common sense and self awareness are present.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quit it guys, chill.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 20, 2019, 03:19:27 PM
Not a single person agreed with my theory. Not a single one. Yet we had civil discussions for some reason? What could be the difference here? It's not disagreements itself.  Hmmm.... let me think.

I've seen some theories tossed around in my day that right out of the gate I said "yeah, I don't agree with that at all". But I'll take a well-articulated and interesting "wrong" theory any day of the week over people patting themselves on the back with a topic that's been discussed to death for decades.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 22, 2019, 04:23:08 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 20, 2019, 03:19:27 PM

I've seen some theories tossed around in my day that right out of the gate I said "yeah, I don't agree with that at all". But I'll take a well-articulated and interesting "wrong" theory any day of the week over people patting themselves on the back with a topic that's been discussed to death for decades.

Thanks for the response brother. Much agreed and much appreciated.  :)

I don't mind being wrong, or considered wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.   ;D  Though regarding this hypothesis itself, right or wrong, I personally feel it stands on much sturdier ground when Kevin Peter Hall was recorded saying the things I am thinking. But I can play devil's advocate:

The valid counter is the City Hunter is just young and reckless (the Thomas brothers have used both of these words), and reckless means careless of consequences and irresponsible. So the question becomes, does not-caring-of-consequences or being irresponsible ever equate to dishonorable behavior to Predators (aka the fan favorite phrase "Bad Blood")?

Does recklessness get a pass when you're young, but if you're a seasoned adult Predator, it's unacceptable? Could be. Or is it, no matter what the age, even though recklessness is bad behavior, it will never equate to dishonorable behavior? Could also be.

So maybe the common ground is dishonorable or not, "bad blood" or not, most of us can agree that the City Hunter Predator was practicing some bad behavior.  ;D

HuDaFuK

The City Hunter never struck me as a band blood.

As for his being killed by Greyback in the novel - I read that as the chief giving him an honourable death when he was mortally wounded and shamed by defeat.

AhabPredator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
The City Hunter never struck me as a band blood.

As for his being killed by Greyback in the novel - I read that as the chief giving him an honourable death when he was mortally wounded and shamed by defeat.

That strikes me as a Samurai-esque culture type thing. How like when Samurai are defeated in battle, they commit ritual suicide. If unable, they are assisted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed