Don't get me wrong, please...but what's wrong with authistic stuff ?

Started by Kradan, Feb 09, 2019, 07:53:22 PM

Author
Don't get me wrong, please...but what's wrong with authistic stuff ? (Read 4,727 times)

Valaquen

Same here. It's like they wanted to show he was autistic and promptly forgot about it. My daughter has sensory issues and it can be a real challenge doing simple stuff (like public toilets - she hates the sound of the handryers and won't go near them.)

D88M

I am indifferent to it. It was just another dumb idea in a movie filled with a long list of dumb ideas.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:14:45 PM
Same here. It's like they wanted to show he was autistic and promptly forgot about it. My daughter has sensory issues and it can be a real challenge doing simple stuff (like public toilets - she hates the sound of the handryers and won't go near them.)

To understand more, may I ask is it any loud noise that bothers her, or is it more selective, based on pitch etc.?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I know you were asking Valaquen, but with my son its really any very loud noise. Lower level noises can sometimes bother him depending on the pitch as well.

Voodoo Magic

I've been watching a heartwarming show on Netflix called Atypical (2 seasons so far), that features a family with a teen on the autism spectrum. Now I don't know how realistic it is, but the teenager wears noise-cancellation headphones to help him cope with his sensitivity to sound, and it seems to be really helpful for him.

Here's a trailer for the show:

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah we watched a few episodes of Atypical. I enjoyed most of it except for the focus on the parents relationship drama.

The depiction was okay although it seems like when they write these autistic characters they throw everything in but the kitchen sink when it comes to behaviors.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2019, 03:48:40 AM
Yeah we watched a few episodes of Atypical. I enjoyed most of it except for the focus on the parents relationship drama.

The depiction was okay although it seems like when they write these autistic characters they throw everything in but the kitchen sink when it comes to behaviors.

Well that's a bit frustrating to hear. I wonder if there is any fiction out there that protrays it accurately then...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2019, 04:09:07 AM
https://www.spectrumnews.org/opinion/viewpoint/portrayals-autism-television-dont-showcase-full-spectrum/

Interesting read

Wow. Definitely.

"What we see on TV and in movies reflects our own reluctance to deal with the enormous burdens severe autism places on individuals and their families."

I'm glad it's being said.

426Buddy

My son has breakdowns where he will hit his head off things, lash out at anyone near him, or otherwise try to hurt himself. Its soul crushing.

Voodoo Magic

I know alone how parenthood changes us. Now add in what you describe?  Soul crushing. I think I can understand.

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 13, 2019, 04:18:39 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 13, 2019, 04:09:07 AM
https://www.spectrumnews.org/opinion/viewpoint/portrayals-autism-television-dont-showcase-full-spectrum/

Interesting read

Wow. Definitely.

"What we see on TV and in movies reflects our own reluctance to deal with the enormous burdens severe autism places on individuals and their families."

I'm glad it's being said.

Good quote. One of my cousins is still very low functioning (he's in his late twenties), and the representation of most autistic individuals as savants by film and television does no one any favors.

Valaquen

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 12, 2019, 08:01:31 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:14:45 PM

To understand more, may I ask is it any loud noise that bothers her, or is it more selective, based on pitch etc.?

Usually just volume. She can visit the cinema if she brings her ear muffs, and she sits and adjusts them herself, giving her some control over the volume. But generally she needs to leave the area if she hears something distressful.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

It's positive thing to see good discussion come from this terrible movie. Some of these comments are pretty heartfelt.

JokersWarPig

The way its presented is just ridiculous is the problem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed