Has you instantly realise all of the stupidity in prequels?

Started by Kradan, Feb 06, 2019, 09:59:34 PM

Author
Has you instantly realise all of the stupidity in prequels? (Read 6,143 times)

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Not exactly pointless, they'd have a chance at least, why wear armour then...  ;D Yeah I understand the Vietnam allegory, etc, they were never trained to encounter bugs quite like that before, hence the NBC suits. Arrogant, haughty, yes, Milburn was cocky too, but he was never briefed about a potential endoparasitoid, at least he had a helmet on.  ;D

SM

In the same way Ripley didn't get sick from the Alien - neither did Newt.

Necronomicon II

She survived, yes, yet there's still a potential threat, there were survivors from atomic blasts too.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, and the resin's entirely new.

Necronomicon II

Exactly. It's simply about minimising risk as much as possible.

SM

El riesgo siempre vive.

The Old One

The Old One

Adios, the one who takes that risk.

Necronomicon II

Corporal Hicks

I think the difference is that the lack of biohazard material doesn't really drive parts of the plot in Aliens. But let's be honest, it does get a pass because it's more all around a a better experience and people are less likely to pick faults with something they enjoy.

For me, I don't think it's the characters being stupid as such. I think the film suffers a bit at the hands of its creator. ADF has them run mcguffin scans to make sure the planet is safe. Ridley can't be bothered by that. The scene with David looking over the eggs and nothing happening should have also been left in so it doesn't seem as daft.

SM

David does walk among the eggs and standing very close to them when Oram is attacked, which would help the latter think there's nothing untoward.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2019, 01:48:27 PM
I think the difference is that the lack of biohazard material doesn't really drive parts of the plot in Aliens. But let's be honest, it does get a pass because it's more all around a a better experience and people are less likely to pick faults with something they enjoy.

For me, I don't think it's the characters being stupid as such. I think the film suffers a bit at the hands of its creator. ADF has them run mcguffin scans to make sure the planet is safe. Ridley can't be bothered by that. The scene with David looking over the eggs and nothing happening should have also been left in so it doesn't seem as daft.

Not entirely true, the ship does make scans of the planet but it's treated as background information.

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 11, 2019, 01:48:27 PM
But let's be honest, it does get a pass because it's more all around a a better experience and people are less likely to pick faults with something they enjoy.

Totally agreed. If people like something in general they can forgive some faults but if they don't like experience in general they gonna dig into what movie did wrong here and there

Jarac

To me, Prometheus characters seemed to do far dumber things than the Covenant crew.  At least, enough for me to notice on the first watch. I'll never forget that stupid "getting lost and petting a hissing alien snake" scene.

PsyKore

I sort of think the blind trust the people in Covenant have in technology is an interesting aspect. I don't know if it's deliberate but it fits nicely in our times with the uncertainty of how humans and technology will co-exist in the future. There's a feeling in that film that humans are so used to technology that they never question it. They scan the planet and totally trust the results, then they meet David and don't even think that he could deceive... because he's a robot and it shouldn't happen, but it does. Even in Oram's final moments, he doesn't stop to think that David could be setting him up.

SM

To be fair, everything they scanned about the planet - habitability, weather, etc. - proved correct.

Daniels should've gotten on the horn back to the Company and told them to develop a scan for murderous androids for future missions.  Would've helped the Nostromo immensely.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed