Has you instantly realise all of the stupidity in prequels?

Started by Kradan, Feb 06, 2019, 09:59:34 PM

Author
Has you instantly realise all of the stupidity in prequels? (Read 6,166 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 07, 2019, 02:06:42 AM
'ALIENS' also has characters doing stupid shit.  From Vasquez idiot comment "I only need to know one thing..."  and Hudson declaring "How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?" to Gorman putting all his men in danger by having them stow their arms.  What a f**khead.  lol.

Vasquez and Hudson were taking the piss. Gorman was already established earlier on as being greener than the grass of Ireland. And they couldn't have any firing in there because otherwise, big badaboom.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, it's not remotely the same. The most questionable thing in Aliens is leaving absolutely no-one on the ship.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 07, 2019, 09:55:35 PM
Yeah, it's not remotely the same. The most questionable thing in Aliens is leaving absolutely no-one on the ship.

It's obviously not a movie-breaker, but that bugs me too.  Didn't occur to me until after many viewings though.

The only thing in Covenant that personally bugged me on first viewing was Tennessee taking the huge Covenant ship full of colonists down to the surface.

The crew didn't wear protective gear because they had scanners telling them the air was safe... and it was.  The spores only entered them when they got kicked up.  (It's also more expensive to shoot and harder to tell who's who when your characters are all in air-tight suits.)  So this didn't bug me at first and it still doesn't.

I really don't understand why people question the crew trusting David.  He saves them from the neomorphs and leads them to shelter.  When Oram witnesses David interacting with one, he loses trust and gets edgy.

Oram looked into the egg out of curiousity from a slight distance with a gun in his hand.  (I see people describe Oram as if he's literally one plastering his face into the egg, but he's standing straight up and his face is a good three feet from it.)  I probably would have done the same thing.  He hasn't seen any Alien movies, so he's not expecting a critter that can instantly leap several meters to be inside.  He assumes the short distance and weapon for defense are adequate if anything dangerous is inside.

The Old One

The Old One

Huh, never noticed Oram having a gun in his hand.

Never considered the Tennessee thing a problem, he does stay above the danger threshold after all.
But for the whole Spores thing, the only way that could've worked for me is if David made it clear the Pathogen's so advanced it can hide from planetary scans.

SM

Tennessee and Upworth issue a command override to descend closer than structural tolerances allow.

QuoteI really don't understand why people question the crew trusting David.  He saves them from the neomorphs and leads them to shelter.  When Oram witnesses David interacting with one, he loses trust and gets edgy.

Oram looked into the egg out of curiousity from a slight distance with a gun in his hand.  (I see people describe Oram as if he's literally one plastering his face into the egg, but he's standing straight up and his face is a good three feet from it.)  I probably would have done the same thing.  He hasn't seen any Alien movies, so he's not expecting a critter that can instantly leap several meters to be inside.  He assumes the short distance and weapon for defense are adequate if anything dangerous is inside.

Ditto and ditto.

windebieste

windebieste

He just used in on the Neomorph and he's holding it in his right hand.  It is lowered and out of shot for most of the scene; however, at the very least the green laser sight is clearly visible in in the darkness in a couple of shots when he's walking around in the egg nursery.

I have no problems with this scene.  As David's Creation states, it's a solid scene.  Most of the movie is.  My only issues with it are the same as 'PROMETHEUS' - some of the dialogue is just bad.  For example, the scene where they descend to the planet's surface the banter is execrable.  They are about to land on another planet and all they can talk about is dicks and tits.  Wow...  Just... wow.

Here's another fine example during the same scene Hallet comments "I hate space!" This is just such a lolworthy comment.  They're no longer in space - they are entering the planet's atmosphere.  A much more intelligent and meaningful comment would have been "I hate descents!"

With just the alteration of a single word, this small piece of dialogue changes from being an ill considered chat to something much more respectful of the material, of the character, his understanding of his situation and what's going on around him.  It gives the writer and director more more credibility that they understand what they are making.  It's unfortunate that such pieces of dialogue are present in these movies - especially 'PROMETHEUS' as just about every piece of dialogue between Milburn and Fifield should have been re-written.

As for the flute scene and David's 'fingering' comment, that was fantastic.  David's machine mind expression of eroticism and attempt at bonding with Walter (His narcissistic allusion to himself) was based on his twisted and perverted understanding of human intimacy and need to gain an ally.  Something he completely lacks any real knowledge of and of course it comes across as infantile and peurile. 

It's meant to be.  In many ways David is just a child, playing with fire.

-Windebieste.

Necronomicon II

I don't know, finding evidence of facehuggers (and acid burns) - thus confirming Ripley's story about parasites laying embryos in throats - should have been fair warning to adopt the precaution of wearing masks. With a potential biological threat, wearing NBC suits would have been proper prudence, especially given how they enter the atmosphere processor infested with unknown biological material; breathing in all that dry heat, touching resin...

The Old One

The Old One

Damn, never thought of that.

Kradan

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 09, 2019, 10:07:55 PM
I don't know, finding evidence of facehuggers (and acid burns) - thus confirming Ripley's story about parasites laying embryos in throats - should have been fair warning to adopt the precaution of wearing masks. With a potential biological threat, wearing NBC suits would have been proper prudence, especially given how they enter the atmosphere processor infested with unknown biological material; breathing in all that dry heat, touching resin...

Good point! I think that often people overrated inteligence in older movies and underrated it in new ones.

Necronomicon II

Lmao I'm going to certainly ruffle some feathers with the upcoming interview  ;D HAS TO BE DONE.

Oh wait...

:D

SM

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 09, 2019, 10:07:55 PM

Ripley didn't contract any disease when she encountered the Alien on the Nostromo.

Necronomicon II

Yeah but she had no idea what that infestation was; the colony is missing, there's potential parasites that can lay embryos in throats running about... It follows that NBC suits would have been proper prudence when encountering a biological threat like that, or this awesomeness -

;D

SM

"There's nothing they can't handle.  Lieutenant, am I right?"
"That's true.  We've been trained to deal with situations like this."

I think the lack of preparedness was the point.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps they thought it was pointless? Being that the Alien burned through Kane's helmet, the lack of proper protection you can criticise but it partially comes down to not believing Ripley's story.

SM

Initially.  But once they find the acid holes and huggers - they'd believe her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed