Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3?

Started by Kradan, Feb 06, 2019, 01:44:57 PM

Author
Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3? (Read 4,623 times)

SM

Covenant is much better structured and paced and just more accomplished overall.

However Alien 3 will continue to be generally more highly regarded due to people deifying the Special Edition, despite all evidence to the contrary.

SiL

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 06, 2019, 11:13:55 PM
Alien3 is just a bad remake of the first one.
In that it's one Alien and some civilians, yes.

In literally any other aspect, no.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2019, 11:20:10 PM
Covenant is much better structured and paced and just more accomplished overall.

However Alien 3 will continue to be generally more highly regarded due to people deifying the Special Edition,
despite all evidence my opinion to the contrary.

You couldn't resist.  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2019, 11:20:11 PM

Covenant's third act it's its biggest flaw. Pacing is rushed and it doesn't fit into overall painting, however I really like last scene with David and Daniels. If only third act took place within Engineer's citadel instead on the ship and pacing was slower and more dense then movie would benefit from it. If you introduce nightmarish setup (citadel) you should stick to it to the very end. Use it as much as possible. Don't waste it. And it's been wasted.

Another flaw (among many) is not enough focus on David's laboratory which is probably the best and most interesting thing about this movie. Like with citadel, it's been wasted. It should have been given more screen time, more exploration and more dialog between David and Oram. If you have golden goose make use of it.

SM

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 06, 2019, 11:21:40 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2019, 11:20:10 PM

However Alien 3 will continue to be generally more highly regarded due to people deifying the Special Edition,
despite all evidence my opinion to the contrary.

You couldn't resist.  :laugh:

It had to be done.

And my opinion is the only evidence you need.

The Old One

The Old One

:laugh:

Agreed Ingwar.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 06, 2019, 11:13:55 PM
Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 06, 2019, 06:47:27 PM
Human characterisation is stronger in Alien 3, and the score is God-tier, but there are structural/technical flaws, Covenant is a better made film overall.

This.

Alien3 is just a bad remake of the first one.

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2019, 12:09:31 AM
...my opinion is the only evidence you need.

Hearsay and Heresy. I declare a mistrial.

P-Rock

A lot of people desperately want Alien 3 to be some kind of misunderstood masterpiece. It isn't. The whole movie was doomed from the start and they ended up with a bad remake of the first movie. They whole controversy that happened during production is more interesting than the final product.

Stitch

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 07, 2019, 12:08:50 AM
Covenant's third act it's its biggest flaw.
Covenant's third act is basically Alien 3's third act but without the pacing.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Granted Covenant's 3rd act's a little sloppy but not to any significant degree, it ends on such an utterly misanthropic, Wagnerian triumph of bleakness that is so refreshing to see.  It's funny, there were many that thought there was too much time spent with David and Walter ha, would have loved more time in David's rape castle of horrors myself but you know, bums on seats and all that. It's quite an accomplished film on many levels, just got to get more juicy human characterisation happening.

SM

Quote from: Stitch on Feb 07, 2019, 10:53:47 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 07, 2019, 12:08:50 AM
Covenant's third act it's its biggest flaw.
Covenant's third act is basically Alien 3's third act but without the pacing.

"John?  Ridley.  Yeah, the third act.  Yeah, it needs more bald guys running around tunnels that exist only for them run down in the dark saying "f**k" a lot.  No, no, tomorrow morning's fine.  Alright bye."

Samhain13

David Weyland

Covenant like Prometheus as what was presented in the cinema sit below Alien 3
However, certain extended fan cuts like the Chaos editions and or the Evanus edits elevate them just behind the first two. They could repair the reputation of these prequels quite a lot with a director's cut adding the 30-40 mins per film left out

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Nah. SM and I are rowing this boat all the way to juicy land.

...all the rest of you pussies can sit it out too. Me and SM will do all the fighting.  :laugh: :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed