Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3?

Started by Kradan, Feb 06, 2019, 01:44:57 PM

Author
Do you think that Covenant deserve/will eventually repeat fate of Alien 3? (Read 4,626 times)

Kradan

Kradan

What i think is similar between Covenant and Alien3 that when these movies came out many fans were very pissed off. But as time goes you can find more and more people saying that Alien3 not so bad and grew for them. And kinda the same for the Covenant. I see a lot of common in tone and all that nihilistic stuff between Covenant and Alien3. I myself was very dissapointed after watching Covenant in cinema (there's a lot of marketing and ads guilty actually) but now i find it really good movie and like to rewatch it from time to time.

So, what do you think?

The Old One

The Old One

In terms of being equals? No, I don't.

In terms of their reception being assessed as more positive over time?

Yes, but only to a degree because unlike AlienĀ³ there are things concretely wrong with character behaviour in Alien Covenant, that divorces it's tier of quality from the original three films; but on every other level it's a cut above Resurrection, Prometheus and the AVP spin-offs. The soundtrack alone but much like Resurrection it does indeed have a wobbly third act.

It's really funny, because it's a case of the the prequel that cried wolf, because with Prometheus' initial reception there was a reaction of "Oh yeah, parts of it are stupid- but it also has this really interesting subtext, look at the crystal in the tomb man! Blah Blah Blah." Which you realise is all a crock of shit when you watch "Furious Gods" and look at Damon Lindelof's career of mystery boxes and putting things in Prometheus with the intention to intrigue, but not actually mean anything.

Where-as Covenant is actually that film, the arthouse Alien, Blade Runner mix- with stupid humans because that's not what the film's interested in- it's interested in the creator and creation dynamic. It's actually the Alien film full of subtext written by an actual playright, John Logan that everyone was initially fooled into thinking Prometheus was the first time round.

chappaeye

So now that we have had discussions and insight since 2012 with "Prometheus" and then later with "Covenant," I guess I'm confused with why Riddles even wanted to start the Alien franchise/story up again. What was the purpose or new direction with the prequels/sequels?

• (yet to be answered) Explain how/why the derelict on LV-426 crashed there and who the pilot was...the character Dallas in the original film was wrong and the Space Jockey's body was not fossilized
  • (answered) Explore more of the Space Jockey/Engineers...no...we are them; they are us; they created us and wanted to kill us; David killed them...the end
  • (answered) See more of the big/original "Alien" in the film...no...according to Riddles the "Alien" is "cooked" or washed up
  • (sort of answered) "Defective David" did everything and will put humanity in its place...beware artificial intelligence (AI)

So the third film will either provide the outcome for "Defective David" or explain how the derelict ended up crashed on LV-426 and hopefully who the pilot was...or answer both of these questions?

So what was the new direction with the prequels/sequels and why Riddles started up the franchise films again...anybody....anybody? I'm confused as to what I was supposed to get out of these new films again...to answer the question abut the derelict on LV-426 and warn us that our own creations might end up killing us because we treat them badly? Was any of that presented clearly in "Prometheus" and "Covenant?" Did I miss something? I might need a film to answer the question about the origins of the derelict on LV-426, but I don't think I needed a film (and definitely not two films) for the other things.

The Old One

The Old One

Step 1, Forget Prometheus.

Step 2, Alien Covenant.

Step 3,

The Alien is the "perfect" A.I.
Capable of reproduction.

Step 4, Profit.

Samhain13

After Alien R. and the AVP movies... yeah Alien 3 isn't that bad. But still is considered worse than the previous movies by most of the fanbase. I suppose knowing how worse things can be makes you appreciate the previous movies more. AVP was less hated after AVPR.

I appreciate Predators now more than before watching The Predator. Its still have issues but I guess I will take what I can get.

Maybe if the next movie is really bad, Covenant will be more appreciated. Things can always get worse.

The Old One

The Old One

AlienĀ³ isn't bad, even in a white room without the context of the other entries.
Prometheus, The Predator, AVP, AVPR and arguably Resurrection still are.

Covenant? Eh... Maybe?

Predators, mediocrity incarnate.

Evanus

I dunno, I feel like the prequels have already been condemned too hard by the internet. I don't think many people will look back and change their opinion. Perhaps they'll be forgotten. Lost in time, like tears in the rain. :P

Samhain13

Like the AVP movies?  :laugh:

Ingwar

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Necronomicon II

Human characterisation is stronger in Alien 3, and the score is God-tier, but there are structural/technical flaws, Covenant is a better made film overall.

The Old One

The Old One

I disagree, vehemently- obviously.

Necronomicon II

Fassbender's performance alone and the thematic richness raises it above Alien 3 for me. It's far more interesting and dynamic from sets, environments, set-pieces, etc. Love 3 but that non-sequitur egg... ;D

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 06, 2019, 06:47:27 PM
Human characterisation is stronger in Alien 3, and the score is God-tier, but there are structural/technical flaws, Covenant is a better made film overall.

This.

Alien3 is just a bad remake of the first one. They had all these great scripts to choose from and they chose the one with monks on a wooden planet, which eventually got changed to a prison planet. That's asking for trouble.

The Old One

The Old One

Hey, I'm more than willing to give Covenant it's fair shake. More than many.

But that's crossing a line.  :-X

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed