Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,454 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 08, 2019, 06:21:37 PM
I'm rockin' a 2017 model 55" LG HDTV at a distance of about 10 or 12 feet. My player is a 2018 model LG Bluray Player. My vision (when last checked) was 20/15 in both eyes. All settings on my television are still factory, and I'm running in cinema mode with energy saver enabled. So I have a movie-tuned picture, but it's darker.

My copy of AVPR is the unrated U.S. version from the now-standard AVP 2-pack that can be found online and in retail stores. It was purchased in late 2017/early 2018.

I can see every detail in AVPR quite clearly. Picture quality is outstanding. Like looking through freshly cleaned glass. Fine detail is exquisite. I can see everything, and it looks good.
I've got around the same setup with the same disc and there's still crushed blacks for most of the film. Edge detail is great, but there's no more detail in the shadows than there ever was.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

"Around" doesn't seem to be precise enough then it seems.

I'll try to post some comparison pics this weekend so people have a reference.

SiL

SiL

If you need literally that combination of products to make the film watchable then there is something seriously wrong.

Huggs

Huggs

It's just what I have. I had the same experience on a 32" LG HDTV. Maybe it's all just a matter of what seems dark to other people seems just fine to me. But for some reason, my copy of AVPR is by no means dark enough to effect the experience in the slightest.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 10:13:32 PM
If you need literally that combination of products to make the film watchable then there is something seriously wrong.

Alas. The point.  Yes there is seriously something wrong. The digital streams and dvd were severely messed up. For me, my blu corrects it, and was pleased when it did.

Nevermind the reference pics. I doubt many people are as insane as me to actually swap discs for comparison analysis anyway.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
Alas. The point.  Yes there is seriously something wrong. The digital streams and dvd were severely messed up. For me, my blu corrects it, and was pleased when it did.
I have the same Blu that you guys are talking about and the blacks are still, well, black. The hospital is almost unwatchable in some places (good luck seeing what happens to Drew).

QuoteNevermind the reference pics. I doubt many people are as insane as me to actually swap discs for comparison analysis anyway.
I'd love to see the reference pictures to see if there is actually a difference.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 10:32:11 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
I have the same Blu that you guys are talking about and the blacks are still, well, black. The hospital is almost unwatchable in some places (good luck seeing what happens to Drew).

QuoteNevermind the reference pics. I doubt many people are as insane as me to actually swap discs for comparison analysis anyway.
I'd love to see the reference pictures to see if there is actually a difference.

Aren't you swapping discs or you saying there's no difference per memory?

SiL

SiL

I'm swapping discs between the DVD and the BluiRay and see no difference beyond the increased picture quality (and even deeper blacks, thanks to Blu-Ray's broader colour range!). I use the PredAlien moulting, the Alien crawling on the ceiling in the sports shop, and the hospital as my reference points because they're the worst.

The parts that are lit -- usually the edges of objects -- are definitely much sharper and clearer, but it's the shadows where all the detail is lost.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

The most noticeable comparison for me was Hawkin's tombstone.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Conclusion: the movie is dark as f*** and everyone saying otherwise is in denial.

That raises the next question:

Why in the world would anyone willingly subject themselves to watch a piece of garbage like this?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 09, 2019, 12:14:27 PM
Why in the world would anyone willingly subject themselves to watch a piece of garbage like this?

Because sometimes you can get fun of it. Sometimes something is so bad that its "bad" quality turns into "good". If it would be just simply bad movie it would be just bad. But because it's SO bad, SO trashy there's something enjoyable about it. Hope, you''ll get my point.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 07, 2019, 11:24:52 PM
The Predator is like the Alien Resurrection of the Predator franchise.

Both of which are still more enjoyable than AvPR IMHO.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 10:55:09 PM
The most noticeable comparison for me was Hawkin's tombstone.

I wonder if Shane Black knows his poor character was not only evicerated by a Predator, but then through another Predator's incompetence his f**king gravestone was obliterated.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 08, 2019, 01:29:18 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Feb 08, 2019, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 07, 2019, 11:48:19 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 07, 2019, 11:41:14 PM
No.

Alien Resurrection's coherent, at least.
And visuals, excellent.

Covenant > Resurrection > Prometheus > AVP > The Predator > AVPR

You find autistic child hunting, spinal fluid injecting Predators vs humans in Iron Man suits superior to AVP:R?

Whoa.

As if it was the only things The Predator did  :laugh:

Oh, I agree wit'cha, bro. It had plenty more sins as a movie. I found myself physically cringing and facepalming for ththe majority of the film. I don't know how I sat for the whole movie. I had those d-box seats that move and roll like a simulator. Maybe that's why? Of course some prick was in my seats and I told him to move because he hadn't paid for the premium seating. He told me to f**k off, proceeded to act like an asshole by throwing his drink and popcorn at the movie attendant girl (which is battery and an arrest-able offense), cursed her out and knocked over promotional materials on his way out.

I told her to press charges and have the theater criminally trespass him from the property if he came back. Later on, I found him posting on Facebook for the theater's page complaining he was harassed by the theater. I called him TF out and said exactly what he did and he promptly deleted his post. Lolololol

Sounds more like bad luck more than the movie's fault...

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Sounds more like bad luck more than the movie's fault...
Those events alone didn't make the movie suck, it was apt at doing so itself. I was lucky enough to have someone to take me, so I did not pay for it. They knew I was a hardcore Predator fan and wanted to take me. They were just as disappointed as I was, having watched the originals but only being a "casual" fan. I watched it once more at home after that to be sure and it left me just as enraged and disappointed once again. I did not purchase it, I streamed it. I would (never) buy a copy of this movie. I've only watched it the two times. I will not watch it again unless absolutely necessary.

I own P1, P2, AVP, and Predators 2010. I also own Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection.

I do not own AVP:R or The Predator. I never intend to own either, but for very different reasons.

This movie didn't break even or make large profits (in domestic sales or opening weekend. It only made money because of international numbers). Which pretty much guarantees I won't get another Predator movie for a very, very long time. Maybe ever again. So yeah...THAT is the movie's fault. I leave that result square on the shoulders of Black and Decker.

They should stick to powertools.

Iknowtheydontmakepowertools.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed