Charles Bishop & Peter: two sides of the same character

Started by Oasis Nadrama, Feb 03, 2019, 01:01:35 AM

Author
Charles Bishop & Peter: two sides of the same character (Read 5,947 times)

Oasis Nadrama

- Funder of Weyland Yutani
- Genius of robotics
- Self-made men, pioneers, visionary
- Creators of androids
- Board for a long and difficult travel on a high technology ship
- In a quest for knowledge, and the search of a form of immortality
- Reach an ancient dome/pyramid created by an ancient, sentient alien species, and containing the xenomorph menace
- Ignore a female guide's advice
- Inadvertently trigger the contamination of the team
- End up unceremoniously killed short range by a member of the ancient, sentient alien species

It is painfully obvious Charles Bishop and Peter are in fact not two persons of the same family, but two versions of the same character.

And I'm sure I'm missing some similarities.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Prometheus is pure plagiarism. They also copied the ancient astronaut crap from AVP. Maybe Anderson should have sued someone.

Here: https://www.avpcentral.com/prometheus-rips-off-avp. To think they resort to copying stuff from a movie like AVP.

They also took a little from Aliens: Destroying Angels, star map, edgy android loses his head and is the cause of events that leads to an engineer/space jockey getting chestburstered. To think they could fool me. Haha. I was there when this was written.

Oasis Nadrama

I agree. And I get the exact same feeling from the similarities: "To think they resort to copying stuff from a movie like AVP". This is so ridiculous. I mean, AVP. The thing which screamed "cheap direct-to-video" even with a millions-dollar budget on a theater screen.

Xenomrph

Charles Weyland also happens to be a more fully realized and sympathetic character than Peter.

Both movies crib heavily from Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness' anyway. :P

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, unless you bring the TEDTalk and Covenant's prologue into it, Charles is a much better character. But that's down to really one little (good) speech, the "10% fall in share prices, maybe 12, that's it."

But if you consider the TEDTalk and the Covenant prologue, I much prefer Peter to the extent I'd really have loved him to be the protagonist of Prometheus with it mostly acting as a well-written, well-acted biopic about his egomania like Birdman for instance.
Which would lead to him getting crushed by a eldrich "Engineer" which actually didn't create man.

Huggs

Peter was a letdown in the fact that he became a whiner 49er, begging spacemen for more time. I think there was some missed potential with him.

Nevertheless, I take him more seriously than Charles, who was great. But, we're talking about AVP, and I see that movie as a fun "anything goes" sort of movie. I could never see it setting any kind of canon outside of the AVP films.

The Old One

The Old One

Prometheus is "missed potential" incarnate.

TurokSwe

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 03, 2019, 01:01:35 AM

- Funder of Weyland Yutani
- Genius of robotics
- Self-made men, pioneers, visionary
- Creators of androids
- Board for a long and difficult travel on a high technology ship
- In a quest for knowledge, and the search of a form of immortality
- Reach an ancient dome/pyramid created by an ancient, sentient alien species, and containing the xenomorph menace
- Ignore a female guide's advice
- Inadvertently trigger the contamination of the team
- End up unceremoniously killed short range by a member of the ancient, sentient alien species

It is painfully obvious Charles Bishop and Peter are in fact not two persons of the same family, but two versions of the same character.

And I'm sure I'm missing some similarities.

Neither Charles nor Peter founded "Weyland-Yutani", but Charles founded Weyland Industries in the 1960's-70's, which carried over to Peter founding Weyland Corporation in 2012, eight years after Charles death. The similarities between the two could simply boil down to Charles having an impression on Peter, as parents naturally tend to have (as well as Peter inheriting his father's assets). And yeah, the fact that they were both killed by an alien creature in an ancient structure in a desolate location on a search for eternal life was a remarkable yet fitting coincidence, as well as plagiarism on Scott's part. ^^

SiL

Why would the company need to be founded twice.

The Kurgan

Because we got to get AVP in that timeline somehow.

The Old One

The Old One

lol  :laugh:

Samhain13

Its a canon thread now.

The Kurgan

Isn't it always sooner or later? :D

The Old One

The Old One

I'll make my own Canon!

With Aliens and Blade Runners!

TurokSwe

TurokSwe

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2019, 11:03:57 AM
Why would the company need to be founded twice.

Assuming the death of Charles had a detrimental effect on his company and Peter wanted to rejuvenate and take the company in his own direction.

Quote from: The Kurgan on Feb 03, 2019, 11:04:53 AM
Because we got to get AVP in that timeline somehow.

It's not that difficult to start with.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed