Similarities between Ellen Ripley and Sarah Conor

Started by Kradan, Jan 31, 2019, 09:15:54 AM

Author
Similarities between Ellen Ripley and Sarah Conor (Read 5,020 times)

Wysps

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 01, 2019, 01:08:52 AM
As soon as Ripley said "okay, what do I do?" she was surrendering all her agency to the patriarchy.

Can't it just be, one peer asking another peer for their advice? I wouldn't automatically assume that her asking for the opinion or direction of her counterpart is "surrendering all her agency to the patriarchy."

Huggs

The rundown of the weapon served multiple purposes.

1. It served as a distraction and a change of subject.

2. It was necessary. Nobody (let alone a Marine) worth their salt would just give a weapon to a potentially inexperienced individual without making sure they went over the fundamentals first and demonstrated proper handling of said weapon. That would be for both Hicks' safety and the safety of his fellow marines.

3. It was another gun in the fight. If it was me, I'd have run everyone through it.

It's not a man vs woman thing. I've taught full grown men how to shoot, and I didn't trust any of them with so much as a ham sandwich, some of them I wouldn't trust with a coconut. Just as the law assumes you're innocent until proven guilty, I assume everyone is a dumbass around a gun until I decide otherwise. If you've ever been swept by an inexperienced shooter, you know what I mean.

I don't blame Hicks for trying to change the subject, and ensuring that the advisor is at least familiar with a deadly weapon, before he turns them loose with it. He has a duty to protect the lives of everyone there, including from themselves and each other.

Local Trouble

If Hicks had been written as a woke male, he would have responded more correctly with "I understand how you're feeling and I sympathize."  It's not about the nail.

SiL

Honestly kind of feels like people are actively trying to miss the point here.

SM

srsly

Kids these days learning film analysis from Cinemasins...

Samhain13

I like where this is going.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 01, 2019, 01:44:10 AM
If Hicks had been written as a woke male, he would have responded more correctly with "I understand how you're feeling and I sympathize."  It's not about the nail.

Are "woke males" the gangly ones who wear the tiny jeans and don't shave?

I saw one in the wild the other day. It hissed at my calluses when I handed its mother an application.

SiL

If you want the flipside, Cameron films also generally take the stance that a man's contribution to society is to provide protection, empower the women to achieve their True Potential ... and then die.

Kyle Reese dies right after Sarah Connor attains warrior status; Hicks (effectively) dies after Ripley achieves self-sufficiency; The Terminator dies after teaching Sarah Connor how to be human again; Jack dies after teaching Rose how to grow a f**king spine; Jake dies after saving the day (he gets better though).

Cameron's got like one story arc he uses for his two leads and by God has he got it down to a science.

Local Trouble

Cameron obviously learned a lot over the course of five marriages.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Feb 01, 2019, 02:01:37 AM
If you want the flipside, Cameron films also generally take the stance that a man's contribution to society is to provide protection, empower the women to achieve their True Potential ... and then die..

That's mean.

Well Hicks wasn't suppose to die, Cameron is still mad about that one, he kept throwing jabs about what happened on ALIEN 3 during the ALIENS 2016 comic con panel.

Local Trouble

I wonder if anyone ever showed him how ACM fixed that.

Samhain13

Maybe Michael Biehn or Lance Henriksen told him, they met after those 2 did the voice work on ACM. Too bad they didn't do a reaction video for youtube.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 01, 2019, 02:07:29 AM
That's mean.
Bring it up with Cameron. ;D

QuoteWell Hicks wasn't suppose to die,
Hicks died in the original treatment -- right around the time Ripley achieved her warrior status ;D

Despite not dying, he's completely out of the action for the last act. He could've died in the elevator and you wouldn't really change the last twenty minutes or so at all.

Samhain13

It would make the overall ending of ALIENS less satisfying with him dying, he is a fan favorite.

With the still going anger of both Biehn and Cameron over Hicks's death it would be entertaining to see them doing a Let's Play of ACM.

Local Trouble

"Who the f**k is Turk?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed