Jake Busey talks 'The Predator' deleted scenes and Olivia Munn's topless demands

Started by Voodoo Magic, Jan 28, 2019, 04:34:56 PM

Author
Jake Busey talks 'The Predator' deleted scenes and Olivia Munn's topless demands (Read 25,129 times)

Vermillion

Quote from: D88M on Jan 30, 2019, 08:54:05 PM
His character was little else than a cameo, i havent seen such a conscious intent of ruining a movie since Justice League by warner
TLJ. Is in the running here

Hudson

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 28, 2019, 04:37:48 PM
I think his character could have been interesting but he disappears as soon as the Predator escapes. And unlike Traegar, Keyes seemed sympathetic and more decent compared to him.

But Traeger is the most engaging character in the movie exactly because he is unsympathetic and not decent, the most entertaining presence. Why does a character need to be decent and sympathetic? What makes that type of character more interesting? Decent and sympathetic people are your family, friends, the people you encounter every day. That just sounds boring, and also the exact opposite of Peter Keyes, who was one of the most entertaining characters in Predator 2, again, because he was unsympathetic and an asshole.

Ever seen American Psycho? Taxi Driver? Monster (2003)?

SiL

Traeger was just obnoxious, and got most of the shitty self-aware dialogue that seemed designed to take the piss out of the Predator concept.

Vermillion

He was a walking Nicorette commercial. 
I liked his FU attitude though.
His death was the stupidest.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 30, 2019, 10:46:48 PM
He was a walking Nicorette commercial. 
I liked his FU attitude though.
His death was the stupidest.

His laugh was distracting from his character.

Wysps

His laugh got old very quick. It was cute the first couple of times, then not so much.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Jan 30, 2019, 10:42:21 PM
Traeger was just obnoxious

As opposed to what other character in the movie?

And also...what other character in another Predator movie?

I think I need more evidence of what you take as being so self-serious when it comes to this franchise. The original movie is two degrees short of being a straight up satire of 80s action movies.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 31, 2019, 12:41:19 AM
Traeger was just obnoxious

As opposed to what other character in the movie?

And also...what other character in another Predator movie?
Are you just asking about obnoxiousness or the rest of my post you decided to cut out of the quote? I'm lost. Did I compare him to anyone else?

QuoteI think I need more evidence of what you take as being so self-serious when it comes to this franchise. The original movie is two degrees short of being a straight up satire of 80s action movies.
Of 80s action movies, sure. But it takes the concept of an intergalactic space hunter seriously. It doesn't keep winking at the audience about how silly the whole setup is. Once the Predator guts Hawkins, shit gets real.

BishopShouldGo

Would've been nice to have a Peter Keyes reference in this film.

Highland

I think Traeger could have worked better had not everything and everyone around him been also a one liner. The whole lab scene sums it up, when you start with the security guard taking the piss out the elevator, then everything from then in the lab is just a piss take, so nothing is actually a piss take because the whole movie is just one giant living piss take. So it's not funy or cool anymore, it's annoying.

Imagine in Predator everyone is Hawkins.....

I mean even the Predators are dishing out gags...

Huggs

Traeger was just obnoxious, and got most of the shitty self-aware dialogue that seemed designed to take the piss out of the Predator concept.

He was, he did, and it's a shame.

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Jan 31, 2019, 03:40:19 AM
I think Traeger could have worked better had not everything and everyone around him been also a one liner. The whole lab scene sums it up, when you start with the security guard taking the piss out the elevator, then everything from then in the lab is just a piss take, so nothing is actually a piss take because the whole movie is just one giant living piss take. So it's not funy or cool anymore, it's annoying.
That actually really threw me off. I thought Olivia Munn would be the "straight" character to everyone's antics at least, but no -- she just talks the same as everyone else. You need a "straight" character to offset the witty quips, otherwise the whole thing turns into a cartoon.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Valaquen on Jan 28, 2019, 04:40:25 PM
The more I hear about this movie the more I want to see it untrammelled by the studio. They really botched this.
They botched something that was botched to begin with. The leaks from the script drafts were an absolute nightmare and so was the end product

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Jan 31, 2019, 08:32:18 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 31, 2019, 03:40:19 AM
That actually really threw me off. I thought Olivia Munn would be the "straight" character to everyone's antics at least, but no -- she just talks the same as everyone else. You need a "straight" character to offset the witty quips, otherwise the whole thing turns into a cartoon.

It was a cartoon. I actually think some of the jokes would have landed , like "the predators cooler" had we not already been through the funnies before. The lab scene should be serious, then your jokes fire to cut the tension.

To be honest though I had the same problem with Iron Man 3 so my hopes were super low. I know people like that movie, but I just couldn't concentrate or better, I kept getting thrown out the cinema for the gag.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Hudson on Jan 30, 2019, 10:33:26 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 28, 2019, 04:37:48 PM
I think his character could have been interesting but he disappears as soon as the Predator escapes. And unlike Traegar, Keyes seemed sympathetic and more decent compared to him.

But Traeger is the most engaging character in the movie exactly because he is unsympathetic and not decent, the most entertaining presence. Why does a character need to be decent and sympathetic? What makes that type of character more interesting? Decent and sympathetic people are your family, friends, the people you encounter every day. That just sounds boring, and also the exact opposite of Peter Keyes, who was one of the most entertaining characters in Predator 2, again, because he was unsympathetic and an asshole.

Ever seen American Psycho? Taxi Driver? Monster (2003)?

I found Traegar to be too cartoonish though. Peter Keyes was not a complete a**hole as he did save Harrigan's life when he didn't have to.
Having Sean Keyes be sympathetic and decent when he is part of shady group adds layers. It shows that not everyone there is mad scientist or complete unethical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed