The Renovated Members' Studio Thread

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Jan 28, 2019, 02:21:07 PM

Author
The Renovated Members' Studio Thread (Read 14,577 times)

Necronomicon II

Sometimes things are better left mysterious, my sweet Huggs.  ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 09, 2019, 09:09:23 PMI can't invite you to things in London, but I can invite you to things here in Phoenix. They're practically the same place!

If you're offering to fly me out... :P

Phoenix is actually one of the places I've been in the US (briefly), didn't realise you were from there. I like how your airport kicks you out into a shopping mall. It's so American :laugh:

Necronomicon II

Rabbit, I'm going to turn you into stew if you don't hurry up. ;D :D

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Feb 10, 2019, 10:40:13 AM
Rabbit, I'm going to turn you into stew if you don't hurry up. ;D :D

Give me a few hours. I was getting caught up in something yesterday and didn't anticipate it would take so much time. Before noon, I swear.

The Cruentus

I am hungry for some rabbit stew myself now.... :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Is that "juicy" in this context?

TheSailingRabbit

- The Cruentus
- Corporal Hicks
- Voodoo Magic
- Huggs

- Vermillion (? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?)
- MudButt
- HuDaFuk

- Necronomicon II (in progress)
- Xenomrph

Updated schedule.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 10, 2019, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 09, 2019, 09:09:23 PMI can't invite you to things in London, but I can invite you to things here in Phoenix. They're practically the same place!

Phoenix is actually one of the places I've been in the US (briefly), didn't realise you were from there. I like how your airport kicks you out into a shopping mall. It's so American :laugh:
That "shopping mall" is the airport, and a lot of American airports are like that. Sky Harbor (the Phoenix airport) isn't even the most egregious in that regard.

What time of year were you out here?

HuDaFuK

I wanna say it was labour day weekend, because the city was deserted.

Didn't stay long to be honest, it was really just the start/end point for a road trip - we drove to the canyon, then Vegas, then L.A., then back to Phoenix to fly home. We were only really there at all because the flights were half the price compared to either of the other two cities lol. Surprised how big it was though, had no idea until I went.

Necronomicon II

Well that was fun.  ;D

Xiggz456

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 10, 2019, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 10, 2019, 10:28:47 AM

That "shopping mall" is the airport, and a lot of American airports are like that. Sky Harbor (the Phoenix airport) isn't even the most egregious in that regard.

Haha very true! Phoenix huh? I'm in Denver. Between me you and Ridgetop (who's from Utah) we practically make up the "Four Corners" for AVP fandom haha. (For those wondering, the Four Corners is the only part of the U.S. where four states (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah) meet at one point).

Great thread SailingRabbit I'm thoroughly addicted.

TheSailingRabbit

We have a rather . . . *sighs* juicy treat for you today . . . Man, I hate myself for that one . . . Give a warm welcome to Necronomicon II.

First up, what is your favorite film in the franchise and why?

Thanks for the invitation my sweet rabbit. I was craving some stew but I guess I'll keep you around for a little longer  ;)

Ahem, my absolute favourite to this day remains the original film. It is unquestionably without peer in its execution, art design, atmosphere, dread, suspense, and the sheer talent involved in making it will just never quite happen ever again. H.R. Giger is my favourite artist, and as much as I love Aliens, and 3 (I do enjoy Resurrection however I wouldn't say I "love" it exactly; it's like the neighbours' dog that's goofy and nonchalant but can't help slobbering all over you), it's the only film in the franchise that he was completely involved in; both conceptually and practically.

The original big chap is also the most aesthetically refined. Ridley's eye for composition and texture is also another big reason why it stands out; the photography is just sublime. It's been often said that Ridley was/is the greatest visualist since Kubrick, but in many ways he surpassed him with Alien; Ridley infuses more life into every frame with the condensation that runs off the grease-laden pipes and hatches, to the careful, restrained exposure of the titular beast throughout its metamorphosis. There's a texture and lived-in reality that to this day that has not been surpassed. There's also no doubt for me that it's the most terrifying, and so much of that is owes to the phenomenal performances from a perfect cast. It really is special. And what Cameron did as a sequel is quite special too but for different reasons, and the same for Fincher.     

How did you come up with your username?

Well I wanted Necronomicon IV but that was already taken, so I chose II. I'll let this "juicy" picture do the talking -

Who are you and what do you do outside of AvPGalaxy?

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...but I'll let you in, just a little, sweet rabbit. I live in Melbourne, Australia, and I look like a cross between a blonde Jim Morrison and Michael Pitt. Outside of nerdom and fandom I study part time (the arts, literature, etc.) and work as an Integration Aide and Speech Pathology assistant for children with special needs.

How has the franchise, and the fandom in general, influenced you?

Hard to say... Fandom is a funny and occasionally toxic pass time ha, I like to think I bring a little more levity to proceedings, as I've found that insularity and haughtiness in communities can reach to regressive levels; I've seen quasi-religious paroxysms of venom and juice spilt over minutiae. Like, step back, breathe, you're a grown ass man/woman/other on a movie forum; make some tea, eat a ginger bread man, play with some puppies, go and have the ol' in and out. Relax. ;D

The films have influenced me more than the communities and fans surrounding them, though I guess the fandom has fuelled my obsession somewhat; there's always more to learn about the franchise.   

Who is your favorite member/best friend out of everyone you've met on these humble forums?

I was pretty infrequent before becoming more of a regular presence. There's some funny characters on here, and I'm glad that we can all be jovial and humorous with one another without agreeing about the films. I'd say Huggs is my favourite only because he extends the juiciness of my juicy ramblings.  ;D Other than that I have to thank Corporal for putting up with such an oddball lunatic.  ;D ;D :D

What are your thoughts on how the franchise has evolved since you became a fan?

Boy, well here it goes. I was no fan of the AVP films; they're garbage and should be jettisoned into the sun. That's all I'll say about them. Ridley returning to the franchise, for me, has been an interesting ride. Both Prometheus and Covenant, while not perfect, have a degree of world building that I thought was much needed, and while the retcon of the beloved Space Jockey still proves to be divisive, I've come to accept it (though, make the jockey great again, David!). There's a brazenness and ambition to crazy Riddlez' ever evolving/changing design here that I find both bonkers and yet infectious. Want answers ye faithful? Yeah, nah, there's nothing out there but a rock and some albino body builders that are adept at gardening and just want to remove some weeds to plant something else. "There is...nothing." *smokes cigar*  :D

As for the rest of the media in the franchise, I skim the comics from time to time, I'm glad they are in steady and thriving production. A:CM should be jettisoned into the sun. Isolation was a near masterpiece of a video game, I still haven't finished it since my anxiety reaches a certain level where it's hard to discern whether I need a drink or to release my bowels, perhaps both. Blackout was a pleasant surprise, all in all I'm pretty happy where things are as of now.  ;D

It's really no secret that you joke about how much you want to see something "juicy" in the next Alien film. Care to disclose why without prompting poor Hicks to close down this thread?

:D ;D Juicy in this context is anything remotely erotic. The heart and essence of the titular creature is Giger's aesthetic, and once you delve down that rabbit hole you'll find it's almost always penises all the way down, and other...parts.  ;D

I was elated with the homoeroticism in Covenant, for example, more of that please.  ;D

You're one of the few people I've encountered here that seems to enjoy the prequel series (I do to, but not as much as Aliens). Why is that, and how do you respond to people who hate the prequels?

I've partially answered, but for me it's just a matter of balance. There are pros and cons with both entries, but on the whole I find them to be ambitious if flawed films that have inspired discussion and ruffled some feathers. Visually and thematically I don't think there's been anything else that has come out that comes close to Ridley's mad dreams here. I really had no huge problem with the idiocy of the characters in Prometheus, for example, to me it seemed like a counterpoint to David's superiority, albeit that could have been still achieved without them being that incompetent. Nonetheless, I think as far as the human characterisation goes Ridley has his tongue firmly in cheek in many regards, your mileage may vary on that one.  :D ;D

The visuals in Prometheus are some of the best in recent memory, Ridley's eye is still absolutely stellar. The c-section scene is also a great scene and one of the best set-pieces in the franchise. There's a lot to like in Prometheus, though there are issues, mostly in the editing and human characterisation department. David, however, just steals the show.

I love how it really starts with these fungoid egg-sacs from yuggoth in Covenant (precursors to the titular eggs we know), and then you get the beautifully creepy neomorphs, seriously, the back and mouth bursters were beautiful. I also thought the mouthburster made up for Poltergeist II screwing up Giger's original vision for that bottle scene. I love all the literary influences in Covenant, the Wagner piece, how it all buttresses David's arc; the gothic, mad scientist horror, there's a lot to sink your teeth in if one permits. While not perfect - I'm well aware of the grievances - I love the ballsiness of ending it where the villain has not only won, they have thousands of test subjects at their disposal. That was refreshing to see.

As far as the recent revelation of David having a hand in the creation of the titular creature, I've made my views on this pretty well known by now. It's much more nuanced than "ugh, it's a man-made creature now BAH!"  :D All he did was pour his psychosexual fevers into a primordial, shoggoth-esque organism; there's no violation of Giger's aesthetic there at all, and seeing that tribute to Li I with Shaw's fate was beautiful. The book of David's drawings is also a wonderful affirmation of Giger's aesthetic. The classic beast reflects a morbid perversion of sexuality that is now text thanks to a sexually repressed satanic A.I. ascending to God-hood. I love it.

In your opinion, what is the most important part of making a film? Is it the script, the characters, effects, etc.? (Don't say how "juicy" it is, seriously.)

;D Script and characters, that said if the themes carry a film (with stunning visuals to match) to such a degree that makes up for some lapses in scripting and characterisation it's not necessarily a disaster, either.

I feel like this is a dumb question already, but I'll ask anyway: would you rather see Scott complete David's story, or some kind of Alien 5 (regardless of who directs it)?

Obviously I want to see David's story completed, I find it fascinating, and he is quite simply the most interesting villain we've had in cinema for quite some time. That said, I'm curious about whatever Cameron/Blomkamp could potentially cook up. Once Ridley finishes his story I'll be down for whatever. So long as it's a little juicy.  ;D

Most importantly--more important than anything I've ever asked--what is your stance on the skull?

I love the skull, however it needn't be so obvious, just barely there. I love how creepy it is. Throughout Giger's works you'll find extended craniums galore so yeah, I love it, it's Giger.  :) :-*

Local Trouble

Just so you know, I'm making a list of all the skull lovers outing themselves here.  There will be a reckoning...

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 10, 2019, 08:40:53 PM
Just so you know, I'm making a list of all the skull lovers outing themselves here.  There will be a reckoning...

You're gonna fight Hicks?

Local Trouble

Don't need to.  His sanity is already on a razor's edge.  All he needs is a nudge.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed