Meet the modder who's spent years trying to fix the "unfixable" Aliens CM

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 24, 2019, 02:20:06 PM

Author
Meet the modder who's spent years trying to fix the "unfixable" Aliens CM (Read 8,765 times)

PsyKore

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 20, 2019, 03:45:04 PM
Why people keep polishing this turd..? Waste of time. It will never get good because it's rotten at the core.

It's not a waste of time. This mod makes the mechanics and gameplay much much better. Bug Hunt especially is a lot of fun now with these fixes. The story will always remain rubbish, but who cares about that?

windebieste

I agree.  It's not a waste of time. 

These efforts won't fix the game in its entirety - the mod author isn't out to do that - but any improvement is still welcome.

This game will be around of years to come.  Now if a proper modding support had been a priority for SEGA, Fox and GBX, then this game would seriously be Rockin' some amazing custom content by now.  Sadly, this is all we get.

I'll take whatever there is - even if the game itself is ultimately unfixable.

-Windebieste.

Predwars24

Honestly I'm glad someone want's to polish a game for a franchise they hold in their hearts. One important thing for most people to understand is to never give up on anything you do. There's a game out there called Orion on steam. A dinosaur shooting game, it's original version was utter garbage but instead of just leaving it as is as most people do, they decided to update it and improve it. If it were a Triple A title then I would've given them more crap as when it's a bigger title like maybe Gears of War I'd expect better as it's predecessors had proven is possible, but since it was pretty small and almost hardly anyone knew about it I gave it a chance. ACM though had years to become what it was supposed to with a huge promise to make it the greatest alien game ever with a DS game being better than what actually came out with ACM. So it's kind of funny one person wants to at least improve it instead of the company that you know made the game.

P-Rock

But we've already had great Alien games like AVP Classic 2000, AVP2 and Alien Isolation. Just play those instead of wasting your time on crap like A;CM. The problems with this game reach far deeper than just giving it a visual overhaul and some game tweaks.

PsyKore

But all those games fall short of being great. But we take what we can get. ACM is no different.

AvP '99 is a shell of a game.
AvP2 was disappointing on release and has always been overrated.
And Isolation is a bloated, over-long door simulator with no replayability after the initial play through.

Predwars24

I think replayability is a key factor in a great game.

Why: Any game at launch is usually around $60 dollars, and most games have the ability to replay it because they know some will probably try to get a refund if they feel that it wasn't worth it. Isolation does have a few extra dlc but none of them IMO are worth noting besides the nostromo stuff. Challenge mode is a joke as I never did it in the elaborate time that they wanted. Another problem is that the collectibles are also pointless. I would've thought the ID's held something interesting about the person it has but it's just the developers. The only one's worth nothing are the audio logs but I'm not risking death just to try and get an audio log that I'll listen to one time and never speak of again. This isn't really isolations fault though as horror is just never good about it's replayability. I think the only games in the genre with that ability is Resident Evil, but you also unlock interesting costumes the more you beat the game.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 09, 2019, 10:40:00 AM
Aside from the ending of the Marine Campaign,
(Cliché as f**k garbage) the graphical fidelity and the lack of Controller support- what exactly is disappointing about Monolith's AVP?

Cartoony graphics with ugly colours and bad models, bad sounds, bad animations, the rigid lithtech engine, gameplay was more quake DM styled even right down to the maps, hugely unbalanced MP as a whole with emphasis on spamming the cheapest weapons, Single-player was overly scripted and too linear, terrible AI even for the time, stripped the Alien of its stealth mechanics and wasn't as fast or fluid, Predators also not very fluid..

AvP2 has a good story with how it intertwines, but gameplay, mechanics and aesthetically it's horrible. Its saving grace was the modding scene (specifically an SDK) which is what ACM desperately needs.

P-Rock

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 09, 2019, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Mar 09, 2019, 10:40:00 AM
Aside from the ending of the Marine Campaign,
(Cliché as f**k garbage) the graphical fidelity and the lack of Controller support- what exactly is disappointing about Monolith's AVP?

Cartoony graphics with ugly colours and bad models, bad sounds, bad animations, the rigid lithtech engine, gameplay was more quake DM styled even right down to the maps, hugely unbalanced MP as a whole with emphasis on spamming the cheapest weapons, Single-player was overly scripted and too linear, terrible AI even for the time, stripped the Alien of its stealth mechanics and wasn't as fast or fluid, Predators also not very fluid..

Samhain13

Samhain13

I never disagreed with someone here so much before. AVP2 is still the best thing that ever happened to the series and the fandom since the original movies, we wouldn't even be on this forum if it wasn't for it.

PsyKore

P-Rock has nothing to say. :laugh:

I had great fun with it, don't get me wrong, but after Rebellion's game it was many steps backwards. And that was the general reception at its release.

The Old One

The Old One

The world-building and atmosphere's excellent though.

PsyKore

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 11, 2019, 12:23:45 AM
The world-building and atmosphere's excellent though.

Agree! And it's the game's primary draw card.

The Old One

The Old One

Enough today though?

I request a modernisation!

PsyKore

I think AvP2's story should be redone today in a comic. The game itself just doesn't hold up.

And AvP2010 should have been a great modernisation of the formula. I believe Rebellion would have come through with that had they been given a lot more time.

JokersWarPig

I loved AVP2010, if it had mod support some great things could have come from that game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed