What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs?

Started by Frosty Venom, Jan 09, 2019, 05:32:11 AM

What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs?

David is the creator of the Xenomorph species
20 (51.3%)
David recreated a strain of the Xenomorph species
8 (20.5%)
The interpretation has been left ambiguous and may be confirmed in a future film
11 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author
What did Alien Covenant tell us about David and the Xenomorphs? (Read 5,387 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 06:08:34 AM
In the context of Alien Covenant, David is the creator.
This.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 11, 2019, 05:32:07 AM
But it doesn't leave you wanting more of the universe, it leaves you wanting those specific questions answered. And then they don't get answered.

That's kind'a lame from where I'm standing but if you enjoy, you're the one winning here :P

There are 2 tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

I was just as passionate about learning the origins of the xenomorphs and space jockey as the next guy. Then (in my opinion) the answers they created for us turned out to be quite disappointing, and I was left wishing it had all been left unanswered.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 11, 2019, 06:08:04 AM
But it doesn't leave you wanting more of the universe, it leaves you wanting those specific questions answered. And then they don't get answered.

That's kind'a lame from where I'm standing but if you enjoy, you're the one winning here :P

There are 2 tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

I was just as passionate about learning the origins of the xenomorphs and space jockey as the next guy. Then (in my opinion) the answers they created for us turned out to be quite disappointing, and I was left wishing it had all been left unanswered.
I think you'll find there was a not-insignificant percentage of this forum (and at the risk of using a logical fallacy, a large percentage of the fanbase in general) who didn't want those things answered.

Nostromo

How the Heck could David have created the Alien when there's already an Alien on the murals in Prometheus...........

Voodoo Magic

I find it ironic that even AVP's Paul Anderson, when asked if he would expand on the Alien or Predator's origin, was smart enough to say F*ck No!

• Exact Quote: "I wouldn't f*cking dream of that, no."

Space7Horror

Yeah but those questions are a big part of the universe and just asking them is enough to be interesting.  I understand you dislike them and want them answered but if we get the answers chances are we won't like them at all.  It's a tough situation because no matter what someone is not gonna like what happens on screen.  Not everyone can be pleased no matter what, which sucks because we are all fans of the franchise.  Hopefully if Scott gets another movie, which at this point seems so unlikely, we will get a little bit of everything to please all sides of the fanbase.

Stitch

Quote from: Nostromo on Jan 11, 2019, 01:34:47 PM
How the Heck could David have created the Alien when there's already an Alien on the murals in Prometheus...........
Aaaaaand here we go again!

SiL

Quote from: Space7Horror on Jan 11, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
Yeah but those questions are a big part of the universe and just asking them is enough to be interesting.  I understand you dislike them and want them answered but if we get the answers chances are we won't like them at all.
Why the Engineers wanted to kill us were never a big part of the universe until that specific movie made it one. And then rather than saying there was no answer or no obvious answer, it told the audience to pay extra to get that answer.

And then they dropped it for the next film, so it's gone back to being a completely inconsequential part of the universe as a whole.

Literally the only way they could have made it unsatisfying is to do what they did -- not answer, and leave it as a cheap cliffhanger. Any answer would've been more satisfying for the story. Whether I liked the specific response is another matter; I at least wouldn't have felt the entire second half of Prometheus was a waste of time.

Huggs

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 12, 2019, 12:57:28 AM

To be fair, it's an Alien, not The Alien.

It's a deacon, and yes there are creatures resembling facehuggers, apparently doing what facehuggers do.

So it all may not be a case of David creating the species, but merely improving upon the design.

Nevertheless, I concur that there is a deacon and proto facehuggers on the large wall. This predates David's experiments by at least 2000 years. It's right there, on film, and I won't say it isn't.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 12, 2019, 01:13:34 AM
It's right there.

"Goddamn it he's right there, he's right there!"

"Gimme the co-ordinates! Where is he?!"

*Gary Busey Screams*

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 01:27:48 AM
It's right there.

"Goddamn it he's right there, he's right there!"

"Gimme the co-ordinates! Where is he?!"

*Gary Busey Screams*

Too late to go home now! HAHAHA!!!!

Voodoo Magic

David Weyland

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 12, 2019, 12:57:28 AM

To be fair, it's an Alien, not The Alien.

It's a deacon, and yes there are creatures resembling facehuggers, apparently doing what facehuggers do.

So it all may not be a case of David creating the species, but merely improving upon the design.

Nevertheless, I concur that there is a deacon and proto facehuggers on the large wall. This predates David's experiments by at least 2000 years. It's right there, on film, and I won't say it isn't.

I think the mural is a form of portend or a mirror
It is when David touches the black goo in the ampules and remarks it as being organic that at that very moment, the paintings in the ceilings change. Elizabeth Shaw notices this and exclaims that they must of somehow contaminated the room. I hypothesise that what we see in the mural is a reflection or portend of the result, Deacon or not of the outcome of those in the mural room would mutate into in conjunction with the black goo.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 11, 2019, 01:46:23 PM

I find it ironic that even AVP's Paul Anderson, when asked if he would expand on the Alien or Predator's origin, was smart enough to say F*ck No!

• Exact Quote: "I wouldn't f*cking dream of that, no."

That's genuinely really funny. :D

Space7Horror

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2019, 01:05:38 AM
Quote from: Space7Horror on Jan 11, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
Yeah but those questions are a big part of the universe and just asking them is enough to be interesting.  I understand you dislike them and want them answered but if we get the answers chances are we won't like them at all.
Why the Engineers wanted to kill us were never a big part of the universe until that specific movie made it one. And then rather than saying there was no answer or no obvious answer, it told the audience to pay extra to get that answer.

And then they dropped it for the next film, so it's gone back to being a completely inconsequential part of the universe as a whole.

Literally the only way they could have made it unsatisfying is to do what they did -- not answer, and leave it as a cheap cliffhanger. Any answer would've been more satisfying for the story. Whether I liked the specific response is another matter; I at least wouldn't have felt the entire second half of Prometheus was a waste of time.

Yes, Prometheus introduced that part of the universe and they didn't answer it, again I'm totally fine with it.  If things went according to plan we would have been given the answers we wanted in the sequel and it would have given us another movie following what Prometheus set up.  These would have become large and important questions in the Alien universe but were cut out due to fan reactions.  Scott wanted to make this journey of discovery a trilogy but every fan lost their minds and complained forcing him to drop most of these ideas in favor of another Alien killing people on a ship movie.  I understand at this point its annoying that we weren't given answers but its not like they didn't plan to originally give them to us.  Prometheus was meant to ask this questions and the rest of the trilogy would have been the journey getting them, now we have nothing and probably won't even see what happens after Covenant.  Its a shame but I don't consider the lack of answers an issue for me, I feel bad things didn't go as planned and now everyone is torn.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed