Alien: Blackout Details Announced

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Author
Alien: Blackout Details Announced (Read 48,142 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 11, 2019, 04:57:12 PM
Quote from: Hemi on Jan 11, 2019, 04:04:07 PM
Don't want mobile game. Want propper sequel with Amanda. The end.

Better get working on it then.

No one is going to invest in a sequel if they dont think they can make money on it. If Isolation was a financial success we would probably already have a sequel by now.

I feel like I'm in a time loop.
Isolation was a success,
Sega were unrealistic about the measure of it's success.
Especially considering that incredibly shit IGN review.
ACM's reception the previous year, Isolation's expense
(Triple AAA) and niche genre.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 11, 2019, 04:23:40 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 11, 2019, 08:51:10 AM
The apparently recurring misadventures of Amanda Ripley.  One encounter with the alien was contrived enough.

I wasn't that contrived.  Finding the black box was a bit contrived, but Amanda wanting to find out about her Mother's fate was a natural motive.  To say otherwise is to denounce the persistence of memory.

Alien's about blue collar working Joes,
most of which- if their mother disappeared
in the vast expanse of space would grieve
and then move on. Guess we're lucky that
Amanda Ripley's the Hollywood
perseverance archetype.

It was contrived, but it was done well-
for it to happen repeatedly makes it more
absurd each time- Amanda knowing Zula
BEFORE either of their encounters makes
the universe very small indeed.

But I'm willing to give it a chance depending
upon how they handle Isolation's ending,
perhaps they pick up the Torrens and Ripley
is forced to watch and scream helplessly
as she begs them to not open the airlock.
(A rescue USCM ship perhaps) we'll see.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 11, 2019, 10:45:01 PMIt was contrived, but it was done well-known

Yeah, I just finished Defiance and thought the same thing.  I don't get the obsession with Ripley's family, aside from the specific character of Ellen Ripley.

Perfect-Organism

The whole relationship between Zula and Amanda is off the charts contrived.  I will admit that.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 11, 2019, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 11, 2019, 10:45:01 PMIt was contrived, but it was done well-known

Yeah, I just finished Defiance and thought the same thing.  I don't get the obsession with Ripley's family, aside from the specific character of Ellen Ripley.

Connor/Terminator
McFly and Tannen/Back to the Future
O'Connell/The Mummy
McClane/Die Hard

People can associate certain names with certain franchises. I'd rather they didn't. It makes no sense for the same characters to go up against the same dangerous situations over and over again. But, the studios will use the name to draw attention. It's a poor idea, and adds a factor of ridiculousness to the situation. But it's not about narrative, it's about money.

SiL

SiL

... to be fair, without McClane Die Hard would just be a series of unrelated action movies.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2019, 01:49:29 AM
... to be fair, without McClane Die Hard would just be a series of unrelated action movies.

Yes, that's true. However, to have the same supposedly (regular guy) find himself in the same mess again and again is pushing the envelope way too far. Ripley 8 was pushing it way too far. Predator 2 and Predators handled themselves just fine without Dutch. I prefer a franchise "constant" be the event, not a character. But that's merely a personal preference.

The Old One

The Old One

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 12, 2019, 02:07:29 AM
Predator 2 and Predators handled themselves just fine without Dutch. I prefer a franchise "constant" be the event, not a character. But that's merely a personal preference.

My Man!

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 12, 2019, 02:34:25 AM
Predator 2 and Predators handled themselves just fine without Dutch. I prefer a franchise "constant" be the event, not a character. But that's merely a personal preference.

My Man!

https://i.imgur.com/boyRiZp.gif

Did this just happen?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 12, 2019, 02:39:12 AM

My Man!

Did this just happen?

You bet it did!

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 12, 2019, 02:43:49 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 12, 2019, 02:39:12 AM

My Man!

Did this just happen?

You bet it did!

https://i.gifer.com/Qsuy.gif

I like Predator 2. For the longest time P1 and P2 was all there was. I loved it and Aliens most when I was a kid, because they were the most action heavy. My tastes might have changed somewhat, but the old feelings are still there.

P2 is like the cousin you grew up with but drifted apart from over time. You might not see them much anymore and now have important relationships with other people, but that doesn't mean family ain't still family.

SiL

SiL

Right, but in Die Hard McClane is that constant :P

I agree on the other franchises, but that's the odd one out.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2019, 03:24:06 AM
Right, but in Die Hard McClane is that constant :P

I agree on the other franchises, but that's the odd one out.

The constant plots he's running into and foiling aren't?

SiL

SiL

...no? Besides one and three there's no real connection between any of those plots other than McClane. Like I said, it'd just be a series of unconnected action movies.

Individual Predators may die, but the running theme is intergalactic space hunters. "International thiefs-cum-terrorists" doesn't really have the same specificity to it.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2019, 04:23:19 AM
cum-terrorists

Of all things to weaponize, it would have to be that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed