Alien: Blackout Details Announced

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Author
Alien: Blackout Details Announced (Read 49,417 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Jan 10, 2019, 12:03:26 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 11:43:20 PM
No microtransactions?  And just like that, it's already not as bad as some made it out to be.
"Not as bad as some made it out to be" sounds like something to aspire to.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

a $5 game you can beat in literal minutes doesn't have room for microtransactions, there's nothing to buy for Facehugger at Freddy's/Five Nights on Nostromo.

Context is king.
QuoteI can also tell you that Fox are pretty on the ball when it comes to the fans,
This magical universe where Bernie Sanders was elected and got Universal basic income and Unified healthcare exists sounds dreamy. I suppose Elon Musk invented unicorns there too.

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 03:00:07 AM
And aren't you glad you glanced?

The Watch has not been revealed yet.

4K transfers and cinematic run before consumer home use have in fact been revealed.

Local Trouble

Would you pay $5 for a console or PC port?

Xhan

Xhan

I wouldn't take $5 for a pc or console port.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xhan on Jan 10, 2019, 07:45:52 AM
4K transfers and cinematic run before consumer home use have in fact been revealed.
Those aren't the "Watch" component.

The Old One

The Old One

4K Blu-ray release.
Cinema re-run.
Memory.

Three watchable things that aren't the WATCH thing.
I guess people must be really confused because
there's no Amanda Ripley in any of these things.

No room for a Cold Iron Studio's game Art + Title
to mitigate the PR disaster of Alien Blackout at all!

No.

The ultimate point is announcements of new material
can be made, and no one is confused; so hell, show
the damn Cold Iron Studio's game before you start
the Amanda Ripley campaign.

SiL

SiL

Memory was announced long before Read.Play.Watch. It was obviously never part of some Amanda Ripley plan, whereas the Cold Iron game was a complete mystery.

Alien hits theaters every few years lately and a 40th anniversary release was to be expected.

But hey, this may well prove my point, not yours. I strongly doubt people are going to give a damn about Memory or Alien 4K when the Watch reveal is made; they're going to judge the Watch reveal based on their expectations and on what it's announced to be. If it turns out to be a 30 second stop motion parody like The Predator's christmas joke, I seriously doubt the response will be "Oh well, all that hype for nothing -- at least I get to watch Alien in cinemas again."

And please stop willfully misinterpreting what I wrote about the confusion. That was specifically to the idea of announcing the Cold Iron game as part of or alongside the Read.Play.Watch initiative, neither of which has happened with these film releases.

Necronomicon II

Getting saucy in here.  :D

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
I think the initial mistake is centring the marketing campaign,
around a character known from a Triple AAA videogame.

With READ.PLAY.WATCH being a major element-
people are then going to expect a Triple AAA videogame.

Not Alien Blackout. (Mobile Phone Game)

I don't think people are so dumb-
that announcing a few details about Cold Iron Studio's Game
before, during or afterwards would confuse anyone as far as
I'm concerned- they had an obvious way to mitigate the A.I/I
Diablo negative reaction, but they didn't elect to go that route.

tyrannosaurusjones

QuoteI can also tell you that Fox are pretty on the ball when it comes to the fans,
This magical universe where Bernie Sanders was elected and got Universal basic income and Unified healthcare exists sounds dreamy. I suppose Elon Musk invented unicorns there too.

I like how you left the rest out just so you could stay bitter.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 10, 2019, 07:35:53 AM
I saw definite signs of skullage on the first alien corpse encountered aboard the LV-44-40 station.  However, the other aliens in Defiance appeared to be entirely skull-free even though one or two of them appeared to have the smooth carapace of the original.  Were they supposed to be young adults while the so-called "ridge tops" were their fully-matured siblings?

That wasn't intended, but I know what you saw, because I see it too. It's the unintended side-effect of the shape of the front of that head being shattered.

As for castes, I'm not really one for how those particular ones evolved. There's a definite continuity to how those ones worked, and the praetorian in #2 played into that, but I've got a very distinctly clear idea of how the biology works and it wasn't something I could put to full use in Defiance. Not to say I don't love what I drew in there, but if you gave me a series to myself, I'll give you a clear vision of how I see the biology working in regards to the caste system.

At the end of the day, changes were made to the look of the Xenos in Defiance. I started off using the ridgetops as mindless drones in need of a hive mind creature (queen, praetorian), and that brain bug was the Big Chap, but I had to change it, and with that I started to tweak things into a design I could use over and over again that was a compromise between the two. I kind of ended up taking the Big Chap's dome off and smoothed out the skull. to be more in line with the dome on the runner/big chap. It's a mix of all three.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 06:33:37 AM
It's very faintly visible in some shots in the shuttle at the end on BluRay. If you're looking for it and don't blink.

I must be blinking every... time...! ;D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 10, 2019, 10:03:14 AM
Holy crap, can you let go of the confusion line? I can't even find the post but from memory it was addressing a marketing consideration, not that the audience is idiots.

Even so, it was the least of the points I made.

The fundamental issue here -- which I reiterated above, which you still ignored to cling to that only point -- is that people were waiting specifically for an Isolation-related "play" release, and their disappointment is in the reality of that offering. Cold Iron's game is unrelated; they would have realised this, gone back to waiting for the actual Play announcement, and still been disappointed.

And now we get to see if that bares out with the Watch announcement.

(Although, as for people getting confused, Xhan did think that the Alien 4K was the Watch announcement -- so maybe people are that easily confused on the matter? ;D)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 10:11:26 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 10, 2019, 10:03:14 AM

The fundamental issue here -- which I reiterated above, which you still ignored to cling to that only point -- is that people were waiting specifically for an Isolation-related "play" release, and their disappointment is in the reality of that offering. Cold Iron's game is unrelated; they would have realised this, gone back to waiting for the actual Play announcement, and still been disappointed.

I'm not going to even fight you on the marketing thing, because
y'know marketing is based on a perception of how people think.

I never once argued anything else,
only that they should've done that
regardless.

As it would've mitigated reactions.

SM

SM

Quote4K transfers and cinematic run before consumer home use have in fact been revealed.

Those aren't the Watch bit.

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 09:11:03 AM

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 10:28:50 AM
Quote4K transfers and cinematic run before consumer home use have in fact been revealed.

They are for me.

As my interest in any OC donut steel deviantart tier adventure starring Give US Money for Canon Insert Character is -1.

If any part of this 'confusion' is confusing, you can refer to my posts in the original IsolAlien thread on the "plot" COUGH of said game.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 10, 2019, 10:22:58 AM
I'm not going to even fight you on the marketing thing, because
y'know marketing is based on a perception of how people think.
And yet you've been dragging it up every chance ... ? ???

QuoteI never once argued anything else,
only that they should've done that
regardless.

As it would've mitigated reactions.
And then never actually explained how, just asserting that it would have. Could you please explain how people expecting an Isolation sequel would be less shitty with a mobile offering if they heard about an entirely unrelated project first? You assert it's the case, but your reasoning seems to be "Because it didn't work when people didn't do that."

Also take into account that people are already starting to react poorly to Cold Iron's game for being an MMO.

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 10:28:50 AM
Beat you to it. ;D

Quote from: SiL on Jan 10, 2019, 09:11:03 AM

Quote from: Xhan on Jan 10, 2019, 10:33:07 AM
They are for me.
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

The Old One

The Old One

C'mon SIL- the answer is obvious.

Just look on Twitter for the amount of;
"At least we still have Cold Iron's Game."

The amount of that would be much more-
if there was an announcement making the
general public more aware, and therefore
less vitriol/attention directed towards AB.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed