Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 05, 2019, 06:37:28 PM

Author
Fred Dekker On The Predator Fan Reception and The Predator Killer Ending (Read 43,423 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 09, 2019, 01:54:07 PM
Granted I haven't played it yet but from a quick Google, it doesn't look like Five Nights at Freddy's (which is what people are saying this is like) doesn't seem to have micro-transactions so I'm not expecting this one to.

It's still an inferior follow up no matter what damage control you do for it.

Let me put it in perspective. Say we had a great movie that did fantastic, right? Had all the right plot points, characters, and special effects, etc. Now imagine the sequel was a 2 minute short clip that was done in a much more inferior style.

How do you think the response would be?

That's too narrow of a perspective. You need to add in that Sega was disappointed with the game's reception, that they called the sales of Alien Isolation "weak".

You add that to the narrative and some may respond  we're lucky to have gotten anything new with Amanda Ripley.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 03:52:19 PM
Granted I haven't played it yet but from a quick Google, it doesn't look like Five Nights at Freddy's (which is what people are saying this is like) doesn't seem to have micro-transactions so I'm not expecting this one to.

Let me put it in perspective. Say we had a great movie that did fantastic, right? Had all the right plot points, characters, and special effects, etc. Now imagine the sequel was a 2 minute short clip that was done in a much more inferior style.

That's too narrow of a perspective. You need to add in that Sega was disappointed with the game's reception, that they called the sales of Alien Isolation "weak".

You add that to the narrative and some may respond  we're lucky to have gotten anything new with Amanda Ripley.

https://youtu.be/SLKz6E4vlXI

This is relative to brands and products...
https://www.wefirstbranding.com/advertising/what-to-do-when-good-brands-make-bad-things-or-bad-brands-do-good/

This is clearly a case of good brand making a bad product.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Jan 09, 2019, 03:57:00 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 03:52:19 PM

https://youtu.be/SLKz6E4vlXI

This is relative to brands and products...
https://www.wefirstbranding.com/advertising/what-to-do-when-good-brands-make-bad-things-or-bad-brands-do-good/

This is clearly a case of good brand making a bad product.

But they already did a good product in the past (Isolation), which according to Sega did not sell well, or at least not well enought for them to have any faith in a sequel.

I am as disappointed as anyone about the mobile reveal, but it is understandable that Sega did not put time and resources in an fully fledged Isolation sequel or Alien AAA title, when the returns are very questionable.

They tried with Isolation and as great as that game was, the further public seemed not to be interessted in that kind of game.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 03:34:26 AM
Xhan's correct.

SEGA's Isolation expectations, projections...
Unrealistic.

Isolation sold incredibly well.
Considering it's Genre, ACM &
the history of movie-licensed games.
(& Cheaper alternatives.)

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 04:50:02 PM
Xhan's correct.

Unrealistic.

That may objectively be the case considering genre, past history etc, but it did not sell well enough that the time and money they would need for a sequel would not be better and saver invested in another game apparently.

AhabPredator

That's stupid. We're a niche gaming market though. As I have said these are "old people" franchises. At least I did my due diligence in buying 2 copies...PC and Xbox1.

Oh well.

Voodoo Magic

Xhan's correct.

Unrealistic.

Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. is publicly traded company. A declaration of "weak" sales of Alien Isolation wouldn't be declared publicly, unless they found the sales to be weak. Full disclosure.

I'd forget genre comparisons etc... As with anything, it's all about what they spent versus what they earned.

The Old One

The Old One

And SEGA has a public history of expecting WAY too much from niche IPs.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 05:35:02 PM
And SEGA has a public history of expecting WAY too much from niche IPs.

*COUGH COUGH* ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES *COUGH COUGH*

The Old One

The Old One

No, ACM's a completely different beast.
Randy Pitchford literally stole most of the funding and put it into the development of Borderlands.
Whilst outsourcing parts of the game to many different studios and paying them in pennies.

Sure, SEGA should've canned ACM and given AVP 2010 more development time-
whilst they went ahead with Aliens Crucible. But no one could have predicted the shitshow ACM turned into.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 06:23:04 PM
No, ACM's a completely different beast.
Randy Pitchford literally stole most of the funding and put it into the development of Borderlands.
Whilst outsourcing parts of the game to many different studios and paying them in pennies.

Sure, SEGA should've canned ACM and given AVP 2010 more development time-
whilst they went ahead with Aliens Crucible. But no one could have predicted the shitshow ACM turned into.

Every company has quality control (QC). From customer service call centers to companies who produce and make the games. Somebody put their name on ACM and okayed it to the gaming market. Whoever's signature it was should be held accountable just as much as Pitchford.

The Old One

The Old One

Now, you're being unreasonable.

It was probably clear to whoever gave the go ahead on the game's release-
that to invest any more time or money, would be essentially burning money
the best they could do reasonably, financially speaking would be to release
ACM and try to get some return on their investment.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 06:42:48 PM
Now, you're being unreasonable.

It was probably clear to whoever gave the go ahead on the game's release-
that to invest any more time or money, would be essentially burning money
the best they could do reasonably, financially speaking would be to release
ACM and try to get some return on their investment.

Asking to have a working game is unreasonable?
https://youtu.be/F-FnyTakrr4

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/2452240/gearbox-had-a-hilarious-response-to-the-aliens-colonial-marines-bug

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/14/a-single-typo-wrecked-aliens-colonial-marines-and-people-are-handling-it-fine/

https://screenrant.com/aliens-colonial-marines-typo-broke-discovered/

And don't worry, I have another unpopular opinion. I think Bugthesda is just as guilty of shipping out broken, lazily made, or quality untested games.

The Old One

The Old One

No, just saying that the person who "ok'd" it was probably just trying desperately,
to make something back from the trash fire they invested in that Gearbox created.

& Yes, Bethesda has always made sub-par trash-
the widest, shallowest puddle is how I'd describe
their RPGs- the only reason New Vegas is good
is because of Obsidian and Chris Avellone.

SiL

There's a short film sequel to Thomas Jane's Punisher movie that everyone f**king loved, so maybe the response would be "wait until the thing is out before declaring it's awful".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed