Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Jan 05, 2019, 02:49:37 PM

Author
Things You Liked About Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 26,338 times)

[cancerblack]

I honestly don't dislike very much about it, although saying I do like any of it might be going a bit too far.
I had a bad feeling about it a year or more before it finally came out, so when it was a disaster I felt vindicated rather than let down. Didn't bother playing it til a couple years later when physical copies were going for $5, and it'd been patched a bit. Very mediocre shooter really, but I missed the worst of it and had low expectations so my experience over all wasn't bad. 

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 16, 2019, 05:30:08 PM
The Raven's design is atrocious.

I've got a soft spot for the big goofus, honestly.

acrediblesource

It was a game that was a great effort based on a engine which was it's achilles heel. I liked the Alien design, not so much one or two, but the other original creations were really inspriring and our first look at detailed alien alternatives.
Architectually  everything was there, conceptually it was there.

The Old One

The Old One

It's the reverse of a great effort, it's maximum outsourced.
Conceptually nothing's interesting, it's cliché nonsense and the architecture is incorrect often and awful pastiche.
Awful everything, apart from CM weaponry.

Local Trouble

What about the story though?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Xenomrph

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 16, 2019, 04:16:33 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Apr 16, 2019, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Apr 16, 2019, 02:48:39 PM
That power loader boss battle was terrible though.

I'd honestly say this was the worst thing about ACM.

The final boss was the worst thing about it.

At least you got to fight the raven.

Running around pressing buttons is a decent boss fight, for Mario.
To be fair, AvPClassic did the same thing for the Queen boss fight in the Marine campaign.

I'm not saying it's *good*, mind you.

Corporal Hicks

I thought it was novel in Classic. You get to just pew-pew her in the Predator campaign.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, novel and decent fun for 1999.
No valid reason for a inferior version circa 2012.

Wweyland

The Queen fight in 1999 was great. And you had to figure it out yourself, without any HUD pointer crap.

[cancerblack]

I killed the queen with a knife on Hardcore in AvP2, in a blind panic, running backwards while hoping I'd trip over a gun. Everyone said it was a fluke (it was) so I did it again. For Honour.

Komenja

Speaking of honor, the Pred's Queen fight in '99 gets bonus points for restricting your weapons to the wristblade and speargun so you can't just cheese her with the more powerful stuff. And there are facehuggers on normal difficulty and above.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 21, 2019, 07:44:38 PM
The Queen fight in 1999 was great. And you had to figure it out yourself, without any HUD pointer crap.
One of my funniest playthroughs happened when I pushed the button to open the airlock, scrambled to the safety "cage" thing, but the Queen was right near it so she smashed the glass and took me with her.

Wweyland

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 22, 2019, 06:08:46 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 21, 2019, 07:44:38 PM
One of my funniest playthroughs happened when I pushed the button to open the airlock, scrambled to the safety "cage" thing, but the Queen was right near it so she smashed the glass and took me with her.
She always threw a box at the glass and broke it. Later on, I always destroyed as much as the boxes as possible.

Monster Man

I'm going to jump on and say the multiplayer. Albeit frustrating at times it was still in good fun. In fact my favorite memory is when I was ranting to my buddies about how the aliens acid is practically useless (unlike in the original AvP's). So my retaliation was me tinkering with the Spitter class, replacing it's 'sniper' attack with the close-range 'shotgun' spit and giving it the traits where not only do I explode in acid but my blood lingers where I died doing damage to whomever steps over it.

Lemme tell you -- one game of that made me feel so good, my K/D was through the roof hilariously. Never before have I felt so content.

[cancerblack]

That actually does sound great.

Also, where'd your Hive Tyrant avatar go? Not that the new one isn't cool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed