It is Impossible

Started by Xenomorph60, Dec 25, 2018, 03:00:58 AM

Author
It is Impossible (Read 24,192 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Jan 10, 2019, 10:33:47 AM
Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 10, 2019, 09:43:27 AM
I like that, but I'm just going off of Cameron's explanation to some irate fans regarding the warning beacon being disabled.

"Since we and the Nostromo crew last saw it, it has been damaged by volcanic activity, a lava flow having crushed it against a rock outcropping and ripped open its hull. Aside from considerations of visual interest, this serves as a justification for the acoustic beacon being non-operational."             How the atmosphere processor would have a seismic impact here I don't know, I'm no geophysics expert haha

I don't imagine terraforming would make any difference to the Derelict.  It makes the air warmer and breathable - but the near constant gales were the same before and after.
To be honest, I'd say that terraforming could make a big difference. It's forced climate change, and a quick Google Search brings up this article. The terraforming engines could easily be the reason behind increased volcanic activity, and thus the additional damage to the derelict.

SM

SM

The area where the Derelict was already volcanic.  And according to Cameron as Necronomicon II said, the eruption that damaged the Derelict before the colonists arrived.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 04:20:35 AM
My head canon says that the explosion set off a chain of massive volcanic eruptions all over planet and that's what destroyed the derelict.

Huggs

Huggs

A lot happened in those 57 years.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that terraforming the atmosphere and whatever mining operations the company had there may have triggered similar side-effects long before the AP exploded.

Just look at the effects that modern-day fracking have had on otherwise seismically dormant regions of North America.

Thanks To Fracking, Earthquake Hazards In Parts Of Oklahoma Now Comparable To California

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jan 14, 2019, 02:21:01 PM
Wasn't that blue light on top of them working as some kind of stasis field for them? Thus preveting them from dying?
That's been the fan speculation theory for years - we don't actually know what it is.

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 14, 2019, 09:36:30 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 30, 2018, 08:05:27 AM
I think the answer to a lot of the hypothetical questions you offered as examples is "who cares"?
No, seriously. The origin of the Alien was an off-limits topic within the fiction for like 30 years and fans and audiences were completely okay with that - heck, I'd argue that a not-insignificant percentage (of not a majority) preferred not knowing where the Alien came from. The problem with Prometheus/Covenant (and with many prequels) is it answered questions nobody asked, or nobody wanted answered.

Not the pattern I've seen over the years. Countless people have asked those hypothetical questions countless times. There were page after page of threads regarding those questions on the old imdb forum to name one example. I'm not going to dig into this very forum's archive going back several years, but it wouldn't surprise me to find these questions the topic of multiple threads.

I don't know how far AVPG archive on display goes back, but for a quick AVPG example.....let's see..... how about revisiting this very thread where 21 pages are peppered with members debating the origin of the egg......not to mention the original post asks, "where do the eggs come from?"

So to answer your question who cares, I would bet quite a few.
I worded my post poorly - it isn't so much that fans didn't "care", it's that they implicitly didn't want to know "the truth" - the mystery is what kept it interesting and allowed for their imaginations to run wild. Sure, people would discuss ideas or theories about where the Alien came from and what the creature meant to them, but I think there's an important distinction between that and actually, genuinely wanting to know where the Alien came from. Prior to 'Alien Covenant' (and even after it) I had my thoughts on the Alien's origins, but ultimately I didn't want them to be confirmed or debunked because it's a whole lot more interesting to not know. My ideas could be right, or it could be something even more fantastical/scary/interesting than anything I could have come up with. Knowing "the truth" is bound to disappoint a shitload of people.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

That blue light on the derelict had to be some kind of stasis technology for the ovomorphs. Is this Space Jockey/Engineer technology already part of the derelict? Or will David implement this too?

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I don't think stasis is the right word since that would mean everything in it would be frozen or in stasis, the fact one egg opened while the field was still active calls that in question. What it might be is more a disrupter, stopping the eggs from sensing anything above the field which would be logical to protect those hauling to whatever world they plan on dropping them off on.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 17, 2019, 12:16:15 PM
I don't think stasis is the right word since that would mean everything in it would be frozen or in stasis, the fact one egg opened while the field was still active calls that in question. What it might be is more a disrupter, stopping the eggs from sensing anything above the field which would be logical to protect those hauling to whatever world they plan on dropping them off on.

Good explanation, makes sense.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Yeah I like that.

Adam802

Adam802

The general origin of the alien/eggs/etc itself should always be a mystery.  That's pretty much the main reason (of many) the prequels are bad.  Just the very idea of a prequel to Alien is a bad one imo.  Takes away the mystery and turns the Alien from being an abstract cosmic horror into just another stupid movie monster. 

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Adam802 on Jan 18, 2019, 05:31:42 AM
The general origin of the alien/eggs/etc itself should always be a mystery.  That's pretty much the main reason (of many) the prequels are bad.  Just the very idea of a prequel to Alien is a bad one imo.  Takes away the mystery and turns the Alien from being an abstract cosmic horror into just another stupid movie monster. 
Agreed.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 16, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
I worded my post poorly - it isn't so much that fans didn't "care", it's that they implicitly didn't want to know "the truth" - the mystery is what kept it interesting and allowed for their imaginations to run wild. Sure, people would discuss ideas or theories about where the Alien came from and what the creature meant to them, but I think there's an important distinction between that and actually, genuinely wanting to know where the Alien came from. Prior to 'Alien Covenant' (and even after it) I had my thoughts on the Alien's origins, but ultimately I didn't want them to be confirmed or debunked because it's a whole lot more interesting to not know. My ideas could be right, or it could be something even more fantastical/scary/interesting than anything I could have come up with.

Thanks for clarification. I suppose I would agree to a certain level. I mean, at what point do you end the story or choose not to reveal some plot elements either through the one film or through sequels, leaving some questions unanswered? Why not end Aliens 86 with them escaping the explosion and they settle down into cryo beds....fade to black. There's been plenty of action and tension already to satisfy viewers.

Then you, as the viewer, could have lots of fun speculating what happened to the queen. Did it hitch a ride? Did it kill the entire crew? Did it get destroyed from the blast? But you've been denied letting your imagination "run wild" because they already established what happened. Sure, playing what-if is a hoot, but I'm not so in love with my imagination creativity to not want to see what others create with their imagination.....such as the film makers.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 16, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
Knowing "the truth" is bound to disappoint a shitload of people.

True......and there's likely a shitload of people who enjoyed knowing "the truth." And there's likely an even much bigger shitload of people who are just casual fans.....they don't explore other xeno media, they don't hop on xeno forums, they don't do endless replays of the franchise....you know, the viewer masses who infinitely outnumber us xenophiles, who are completely neutral on the answer. "Hmm....so that's where the egg came from.....okay." Not necessarily positive, not necessarily negative.

Point is, I've seen no clear domination of one perception over the other. Even here in a xeno forum, I'll match every avpg member you pull up ridiculing the film maker's "truth" with an avpg member praising the film maker's "truth." .....Challenge! .....lol

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 19, 2019, 08:13:25 AM
at what point do you end the story or choose not to reveal some plot elements either through the one film or through sequels, leaving some questions unanswered? Why not end Aliens 86 with them escaping the explosion and they settle down into cryo beds....fade to black. There's been plenty of action and tension already to satisfy viewers.
The reason being is that ending Aliens with the characters escaping the explosion wouldn't reach the film's conclusion thematically. Aliens explored the theme of motherhood, and the battle between Ripley and the Queen was set to resolve the conflict between the two species' approaches to the subject.

Alien didn't answer the question about where the alien is from because not knowing where it's from is the point thematically. It's alien - you're not supposed to know where it's from.

Speculating over the species origins is fun, but actually trying to answer the question is failing to understand the film and thus undermining its message.

To sum up and answer your question: You resolve a plot once you've communicated the message behind your film. The plot is just a vehicle to pass that message to the viewer. It in itself is not the ultimate goal.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed