It is Impossible

Started by Xenomorph60, Dec 25, 2018, 03:00:58 AM

Author
It is Impossible (Read 24,721 times)

SM

SM

That because, until such a time as the origin of the Derelict is explored and contradicts something, there isn't any.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

That recent Alien novel trilogy that was labelled as canon has Xenomorphs existing before David though right?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2019, 03:12:07 AM
That because, until such a time as the origin of the Derelict is explored and contradicts something, there isn't any.
Well you heard it here first, the derelict is still Alien.

SM

SM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 03, 2019, 06:57:43 AM
That recent Alien novel trilogy that was labelled as canon has Xenomorphs existing before David though right?

They're books written prior to Covenant.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I can't wait for the third prequel film to either be scrapped or be released but still not answer this question so that people like you and I will forever have this discussion  :laugh:

SM

SM

No doubt.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

@SM

Does that automatically
in your opinion make said trilogy
non-canon? /Not part of
the official continuity.

Huggs

Huggs

They need to film a short video called "Ridley Scott Defines Canon".

Ridley just stands in some guys yard. There's a large object next to him covered in a blanket.

"Ridley Scott? It's an honor sir. But what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to explain the concept of canon in the Alien universe."

"You see, canon is...(tears blanket away, revealing a large cannon)...what I say b*tch!"

He pulls a long string and the canon fires, destroying the dude's house. As the place burns, the camera is just behind Scott. While the guy is running around in his yard screaming hysterically and trying to fight the flames with his garden hose, Scott slowly turns his head back towards the camera, with a mischievous smile on his face. We then see the famous "end transmission" animation from the films, before everything fades out.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 03, 2019, 03:01:31 PM
They need to film a short video called "Ridley Scott Defines Canon".

Ridley just stands in some guys yard. There's a large object next to him covered in a blanket.

"Ridley Scott? It's an honor sir. But what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to explain the concept of canon in the Alien universe."

"You see, canon is...(tears blanket away, revealing a large cannon)...what I say b*tch!"

He pulls a long string and the canon fires, destroying the dude's house. As the place burns, the camera is just behind Scott. While the guy is running around in his yard screaming hysterically and trying to fight the flames with his garden hose, Scott slowly turns his head back towards the camera, with a mischievous smile on his face. We then see the famous "end transmission" animation from the films, before everything fades out.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 03, 2019, 01:04:32 PM
I can't wait for the third prequel film to either be scrapped or be released but still not answer this question so that people like you and I will forever have this discussion  :laugh:

SM has a destiny.

SM

SM

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 03, 2019, 02:56:24 PM
@SM

Does that automatically
in your opinion make said trilogy
non-canon? /Not part of
the official continuity.

Vermillion

Vermillion

That'll never get answered how she got the lightsaber

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jan 02, 2019, 12:51:31 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 02, 2019, 08:46:27 AM
And I believe this is where we must part ways on this particular mental journey, for I must beg to differ on this one. ;D
I can't take this seriously from someone who argues that David didn't make the Aliens fundamentally because he doesn't like the idea :P
Attacking why someone is arguing something is a pretty hefty logical fallacy. :P

That, and it doesn't actually change anything in my argument - an actual case citing evidence from the movies can be made that David is wrong.

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2019, 02:18:46 AM
It's not a contradiction until information actually exists to contradict it.
'Alien' exists.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jan 03, 2019, 02:51:20 AM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 03, 2019, 02:25:22 AM
It is a contradiction to what the original film hinted at as well as the EU lore.

Leaving aside Dallas' speculations about the antiquity of the Derelict ("looks like it's been dead a long time, fossilized") I don't see any in-universe contradiction at all  ???
The Derelict appears to be old, and 'Covenant' doesn't address the Derelict's origins or its visual state.

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2019, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 03, 2019, 06:57:43 AM

They're books written prior to Covenant.
And they're still canon, per FOX's policy. Covenant doesn't automatically overrule them just because it's a movie, or because it came out later - FOX's stated policy is that everything that came out after a certain point in time is canon, full stop; there's no provisions within that about a "ranking system" or what supersedes what, and anyone claiming otherwise is using their own personal interpretation of what the canon should be.

In other words re: canon - believe what you want (because you already are, whether you realize it or not). :P

razeak

razeak

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2019, 02:18:46 AM
It's not a contradiction until information actually exists to contradict it.

The ship appears old. It is stated to be old. Why does Dallas have less weight than David?

These things exist on screen. It's not a displaced hate of the concept. I just can't reconcile the apparent age of the derelict with the xenomorph being solely David's creation.

The evidence is David's statements and actions in Covenant and the derelict in Alien. Is David the creator of the xenomorph as portrayed in Covenant? Yes. Is it concrete as presented on film that the Derelict is protrayed as being ancient? Yes.

It isn't an assumption that the derelict is old. Contradictions occur in film all the time. It doesn't ruin anything for me in this particular case.

Huggs

Huggs

How old is definitely up for debate. Heck, even I might have to eat some crow. 57 years after the Nostromo landed, the derelict seems quite decayed and losing structural integrity. The left arm has fractured and collapsed onto the ground. Of course if these things are indeed grown, then decay is understandable. So if that happened in 57 years, it's probably not 2000 years old. Space Jockey on lv-223 aside, this ship is out in the elements, it's exposed. Not to mention there was still enough power left in the thing to still be broadcasting a warning.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed