Things you liked about Alien Resurrection

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 23, 2018, 03:41:49 PM

Author
Things you liked about Alien Resurrection (Read 10,512 times)

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 13, 2019, 11:21:15 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 13, 2019, 10:36:44 PM
Actually Giger didn't, I remember reading that he called it a piece of sh*t or a turd or something like that. I don't remember the exact phrase he used.

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/alien-resurrection-hybrid-theory/

Quote"I always wanted my Alien to be a very beautiful thing, not just something disgusting, not just a monster, but something aesthetic. Throughout the creature's evolution what they've done is change it from something aesthetic to something that looks like shit – I mean literally, it looks like a turd."
~ HR Giger, Alien Evolution, 2001.

:laugh:

"The creatures in ALIEN: RESURRECTION are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in ALIENS and ALIEN 3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. ALIEN: RESURRECTION is an excellent film."

H.R. Giger - Letter to Fox 23/11/1997 (excerpt)

The Old One

The Old One

^H.R Giger's Maturation... IMO

Addendum:

The videogame, despite the controls;
It was a faithful recreation of the film
and expansion, the ship environment,
the weapons etc... A "proto-Isolation"

-FPS Survival Horror
-Play as (Not) Ripley
-Invincible Alien Enemy
-Multiple character POVs
-Identical save-station system
-Ventalisation utilisation
-Environmental Hazards
-Faithful recreation and expansion
of the film environment it's based upon.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I like Alien: Resurrection but I get little nostalgia from the alien designs inside of it. I think they are the weakest and I'm not entirely sure why they appear to change throughout the film. Maybe the lighting?

I love the clone concept which was new back then and the devastation of Paris.

The Old One

The Old One

They change through-out the film?

whiterabbit

No I mean to me they "appear" to change. I defend the film because I think it is a good film but the aliens are not the reason. There look seems to turn brown even thought it doesn't (may just be the color palette from the scenes) and well the cgi was rudimentary back then, so the shading is poor. I can't defend how bad I think the alien had fallen in that movie.

So when I hear Giger praising the creature I assume that was after examining them pre-set and I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't even see the movie.The aliens in the movie are the biggest let down for me, way more than hicks and newts deaths or space jockey being dudes.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2019, 10:05:41 AM"The creatures in ALIEN: RESURRECTION are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in ALIENS and ALIEN 3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. ALIEN: RESURRECTION is an excellent film."

I would think his latter-day "turd" comment is a more genuine reflection of his honest opinion than a letter to Fox.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed. I'd say so.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 16, 2019, 01:19:50 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2019, 10:05:41 AM"The creatures in ALIEN: RESURRECTION are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in ALIENS and ALIEN 3. The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster. ALIEN: RESURRECTION is an excellent film."

I would think his latter-day "turd" comment is a more genuine reflection of his honest opinion than a letter to Fox.

Therefore his "original Alien design" looks like a turd.

Besides the whole 'brown' thing is a bit of a furphy.  Apart form the ladder scene, due to the lighting where the Alien does appear brown, every other scene they are quite black, with the brown tint barely visible.

And Giger whinged way too much on the Resurrection issue.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2019, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 16, 2019, 01:19:50 PM
Quote from: SM link=topic=61194.msg2347418#msg2347418 date=1547633140
"The creatures in ALIEN: RESURRECTION are even closer to my original Alien designs than the ones which appear in ALIENS and ALIEN 3.
The film also resurrects my original designs for the other stages of the creature's life-cycle, the Eggs, the Facehugger and the Chestburster.
ALIEN: RESURRECTION is an excellent film. What would it look like without my Alien life-forms?
In all likelihood, all the sequels to ALIEN would not even exist!
The designs and my credit have been stolen from me, since I alone have designed the Alien.
So why does Fox not give me the credit I rightfully earned?
"

H.R. Giger - Letter to Fox

Therefore his "original Alien design" looks like a turd.

"Turd" = The Resurrection incarnation.

He was clearly being disingenuous,
in regards to them being closer to his designs than Aliens or Alien³
with aim being to attain credit for the Alien featured in Resurrection.
Because he felt cheated by the previous two sequels.

Necronomicon II

He obviously wasn't talking about the original, classic design.

Voodoo Magic

"ALIEN: RESURRECTION is an excellent film."
H.R. Giger 

For my world to make sense, I need to pretend I didn't read that.

Local Trouble

I still can't understand AR being regarded as watchable, much less excellent.  IMO, it's even worse than AvPR.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 16, 2019, 02:22:07 PM
I still can't understand AR being regarded as watchable, much less excellent.  IMO, it's even worse than AvPR.

Seconded.

bobby brown

To be fair, Giger never loved his own alien either. He hated the backpipes, and he felt the end result never escaped the man in suit vibe.

The Old One

The Old One

I've always thought that if the Alien was to appear in a new film.
(Prior to 2017's Protomorph Design)

It should use this design as a basis:

Of course, I think the backpipes are
pretty much synonymous with the
creature today, but otherwise I think
everything else in the design, is a
much more flowing incorporation
of the bio-mechanical aesthetic.

The "tongue" is much more
tight to the mouth, giving off
vibes of oral sex, a foreskin
with teeth with a translucent
cover over the whole thing.

Much superior to the tube
with teeth that we received.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed