Things you liked about Alien Resurrection

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 23, 2018, 03:41:49 PM

Author
Things you liked about Alien Resurrection (Read 10,511 times)

The Kurgan

After AvPR and The Predator got their own thread about things people liked about the movies, i decided to give one to the unloved stepchild of the original Alien quadrilogy.

So what are things you liked or even loved about Alien Resurrection ?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on Dec 23, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
After AvPR and The Predator got their own thread about things people liked about the movies

Did I start a trend with the AvPR thread?  ((Takes bow)) ;D

Let's see, I liked Sigourney Weaver. She's always great to watch. So is Brad Dourif in my opinion.

I thought some of the cinematography was beautiful.

Ripley-8 messing around with the basketball was always kind of cool to me.  Her whole improved agility and physicality.

Doctor Ash

That i could finally see an Alien movie in a cinema, as i wasn't old enough to see the first three movies there :-)

Nukiemorph

Dominique Pinon's character always amused me.

Love the scene with the seven failed Ripley clones.

I honestly really like the newborn.  It's face genuinely creeps me out.

I love the scene where the newborn gets sucked out into space.

The cinematography is beautiful.

I love the scene where the aliens kill one of their own to escape their cell.

I like the whole setup and payoff with the big red button that blasts nitrogen or whatever into that cell.

Huggs

1. The absence of WY
2. Xeno's finally incarcerated and getting loose
3. I actually like the Newborn. The eyes give it emotion, which is scary
4. The look of the ship, and the film overall.
5. Dan Hedaya and Mike Wincott are always a pleasure to watch
6. That basketball shot
7. The Clone Room scene (some great work here)
8. The writhing hive and Alien Carry
9. The opening surgical scene
10. Elgyn finding the guns and being killed scene (very tense)

I like it all really. Sure, it has some humorous moments, and some odd stuff. However, I think the humor and tone work in this movie more than something like The Predator because AR never forgets what it still has to be, which is an Alien movie. Surrounding those humorous moments, is a hardcore Alien film. No politics, no philosophy. Even with Ripley being brought back as a clone, we're still watching an Alien film in space. The xeno's get loose and people have to survive, and you get copious amounts of horror. That's all I want and need. Resurrection is a good Alien movie in my book.

The Old One

The Old One

Everything Huggs said,
With one major difference;

I don't take it as a hardcore
Alien film.
At all.
It's more of a tongue-in-cheek parody,
that happens to be considered canon.

I think overall it's successful
in that way-
But as a genuine Alien film?
That I'm supposed to take seriously?
It's below Alien Covenant.
(+Trilogy OFC)

Nukiemorph

I justify it by focusing on the fact that it's not even about the original xenomorphs or the real Ellen Ripley.
It's about a giant genetic clusterf**k that gets way out of hand.
It stands outside of the Alien Trilogy as its own weird thing.

Local Trouble

No one mentioned the Dutch angles.  They're everywhere.

SM

PsyKore

I think it's actually a pretty good film, even though I hate a lot of it and can't take it seriously. :laugh: Honestly though, it's just the odd humour, over-the-top character antics and lack of tension that really bring it down.

I like the whole aesthetic and design which is consistent with the "retro sci-fi" look. I like the corporate, uncaring feeling of the Auriga's denizens. It has some good artistic camera work and great music. Sigourney Weaver is flawless. Michael Wincott is always awesome (unfortunately not alive for long enough). The clone sequence is masterful. The Viper pit was cool. I like the Newborn for the most part; I think the whole bastardisation of Human and Alien was a good idea and pretty well realised. There's also a great moment in the extended version where Ripley 8 tries to recall Newt.

Yeah, it's not terrible, just tonally worlds apart.

Samhain13

Some of the secondary characters, action sequences, seeing humans finally having captured aliens. Can't think of much else.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: David's Creation on Dec 24, 2018, 05:56:23 AM
It stands outside of the Alien Trilogy as its own weird thing.

I may refer to it as "the weird thing" from now on. It's very fitting.

Samhain13

I have been calling the Newborn that for years, might as well use it to refer to the whole movie too.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed lol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed