The Operation: Aliens Conspiracy

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 14, 2018, 01:21:17 PM

Author
The Operation: Aliens Conspiracy (Read 2,267 times)

Corporal Hicks

In the far flung regions of human colonized space, children who are born and raised amongst the stars sit around camp-fires on barely habitable chunks of rock and tell each other stories of vampires and aliens that burst out of your chest. You will also hear stories of Operation: Aliens, a would-have-been 90's Saturday morning kids cartoon based around Kenner's Alien figures.

The story goes that in the early 1990's, 20th Century Fox was looking into producing an animated Alien series aimed at children that would have aired during the 11:30am slot on Saturday mornings. It would have aired while Kenner's popular Alien figures were in stores and interest in the Alien franchise was being bolstered by Alien 3's theatrical release.

The legend continues that an unnamed Korean studio had produced a pilot episode for the series and stills had been obtained from their website and circulated online. Ultimately, it would be cancelled due to the poor performance of Alien 3. Or so the myth would have us believe.

The truth of the matter is somewhat different, though. There simply was no Operation: Aliens series in development and there was no long lost pilot episode. Click here to continue reading!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

SiL

SiL

Great to see this up finally! Hopefully the article is seen enough to get it high on the search ranks so people see it when looking up Operations Aliens ;D

TheSailingRabbit

I don't know if this has been said before, but I think an Aliens animated series would be successful nowadays if aimed at adults. I'd love to see it. It would give some variety among what else is out there. What's there to choose from in terms of adult cartoons? Superheroes, tasteless "comedy," and anime. Aliens would add something else--decent horror. In the right hands, you know, people who actually care about good storytelling, there's something with whopping potential in there. Use a good style, too, to bring out the aesthetic of the world.

Voodoo Magic

Nice in-depth article Hicks!

It would be a longshot, but maybe you can contact AKOM and see if they wouldn't mind sharing some of that unaired animated commercial work.

The Kurgan

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 14, 2018, 01:48:04 PM
I don't know if this has been said before, but I think an Aliens animated series would be successful nowadays if aimed at adults. I'd love to see it. It would give some variety among what else is out there. What's there to choose from in terms of adult cartoons? Superheroes, tasteless "comedy," and anime. Aliens would add something else--decent horror. In the right hands, you know, people who actually care about good storytelling, there's something with whopping potential in there. Use a good style, too, to bring out the aesthetic of the world.

Agreed. It could also be used as a test ballon as an relatively inexpensive way to test aliens as a ongoing series or some new concepts if they are feeling bold.
Come to think of it the AvP universe would also be great for an adult themed animated show.
Style and tone would of course have to fit, but why not?

Voodoo Magic

Eh, the more I think about it, the only luck getting a hold of that footage wouldn't even be through Kenner, just through Will Meugniot. If even.  :-\

Corporal Hicks

Also available on YouTube:

Whiskeybrewer

Time to subscribe

426Buddy

426Buddy

Great article/video, very interesting. Love this stuff.

I grew up with the kenner figures and still have many of them. Unfortunately the mini comics & lil facehuggers are long lost. I still have the operation aliens puzzle but its missing one piece >:(. But i think its interesting that I never realized aliens operation stuff was connected to the aliens toys until  much later.

When it came out recently that there was no planned tv series, I was blown away. Ive always believed the story about the series being in production, just seemed to fit lol. Anyway ita crazy that the truth was there never was a real plan for a kids show. I know I would have loved an aliens cartoon series as a child.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Dec 14, 2018, 01:32:17 PM
Great to see this up finally! Hopefully the article is seen enough to get it high on the search ranks so people see it when looking up Operations Aliens ;D

It'd be nice! Unfortunately none of the bigger outlets are picking this one up. At least it's there to drop a link for folk now.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 14, 2018, 01:50:08 PM

It would be a longshot, but maybe you can contact AKOM and see if they wouldn't mind sharing some of that unaired animated commercial work.

Thanks, very much appreciated. The website doesn't actually load for me so I can't see any contact details.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 15, 2018, 01:13:45 PM
When it came out recently that there was no planned tv series, I was blown away. Ive always believed the story about the series being in production, just seemed to fit lol. Anyway ita crazy that the truth was there never was a real plan for a kids show. I know I would have loved an aliens cartoon series as a child.

Yeah, I'd always believed it too. I'm a little disappointed there's no hidden pilot episode somewhere but I'd rather be properly informed. I'm with you though - I know I would have absolutely loved this.

EBGEHN4

EBGEHN4

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 17, 2018, 08:41:26 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 14, 2018, 01:50:08 PM

Thanks, very much appreciated. The website doesn't actually load for me so I can't see any contact details.

Yeah, I tried too and it doesn't load for me either. Maybe it's some internet plugin exclusive to Korea? All they have is that telephone number and fax at the very bottom of the page.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Great investigative reporting Hicks! Glad to finally get the real story behind this mythical cartoon.

Nukiemorph

Great article.  I will let go of hope that this pilot will surface some day... but now I want to see those animated commercials!

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed