Let me get this straight...

Started by DerelictShip, Dec 11, 2018, 09:33:17 PM

Author
Let me get this straight... (Read 3,135 times)

yhe1

yhe1

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 12, 2018, 08:30:23 PM
No, Humans didn't evolve from chimps, gorillas, or even orangutans. We just shared a common ancestor. But that is the study of human evolution.

I'm asking how did the Engineers do it with Chimps, since you decided to agree with my silly statement and go there.

the chimps infected by the goo got a slight edge over other chimps and eventually human?

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

If the engineers kickstarted life then wouldn't we have similar DNA to anything else on this planet since it all came from the engineers.

Yet humans and Engineers DNA is supposed to be an exact match after all these years of evolution.

Maybe life was already in motion on Earth and the engineers DNA and black goo made multiple mutations. But somehow human DNA must resist any change to be exactly that of engineers.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

There might have been life on Earth when the engineers dna bombed it but I think everything started with them. Whatever life was on Earth was destroyed to make room for the engineers life experiment. Then for what ever reason people happened.

People might have been inevitable by design though. Remember David's "resurrection" theory. That the people of Earth are trying to start over. Perhaps the dna bombing of Earth was a start over for the engineer as well.

SM

SM

Quote from: yhe1 on Dec 12, 2018, 08:45:23 PM
No, Humans didn't evolve from chimps, gorillas, or even orangutans. We just shared a common ancestor. But that is the study of human evolution.

I'm asking how did the Engineers do it with Chimps, since you decided to agree with my silly statement and go there.

the chimps infected by the goo got a slight edge over other chimps and eventually human?

Yeah why not.

Except the ones who were hanging around that big black monolith thing.  They did alright too.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2018, 10:36:40 PM
Quote from: yhe1 on Dec 12, 2018, 08:45:23 PM

Yeah why not.

Except the ones who were hanging around that big black monolith thing.  They did alright too.

Well it looks like we have a consensus then.  Our works here is done.

Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 12, 2018, 08:44:52 PM
Imagin the evolution of species like a tree branching out to the top. We all share the some basis, the Tree trunk, as life evolves new branches grow, forking in different directions, diverging, some dying of, new branches gowing out of the old ones different. For example chimp-branch and human-branch would have a common bigger branch from which they both are growing.

So the engineer disolving either kickstarted the whole tree, life itself on the planet, or he manipulated one of the branches to grow in the human direction, or it taped the human branch on an already existing "life tree". 

It think the kickstarting version makes the most sense.

What? Our research is rock solid. You dare challenge our chimp theory?

SM

SM

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Dec 11, 2018, 10:16:13 PM
1) They 'seeded' humans - not all life.

The final film is ambiguous, but you can find an amphibian creature in the storyboards; as the culmination of the black goo's chain of events. Of course, nothing of this is canon; but rather suggest that at some point, they were thinking in turning the Engineer into the common ancestor of almost every land animal; or at very least the creator of such a common ancestor.     

2) It's only a movie.

and no even a hard science fiction movie.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 12, 2018, 07:37:58 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2018, 07:10:46 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 12, 2018, 01:59:55 PM
1) They 'seeded' humans - not all life.
2) It's only a movie.

How does one just seed human life?

1) Drink the black bubble tea.
2) Fall off a waterfall.

And magically humans sprout from what?  Chimpanzees drinking the water?  Good thing the ostriches drank somewhere else!  :P

Actually IIRC, Jon Spaihts' original draft has the transformation of an ape-like creature after having being injected with Engineer's DNA by the "black scarabs" (a prototypical black goo).   

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 13, 2018, 12:37:53 AM
Actually IIRC, Jon Spaihts' original draft has an ape-like-creature being injected with Engineer's DNA by the "black scarabs" (a prototypical black goo).

Huh. Well that would certainly have been a movie-logical way to seed only humans - not all life, I guess.  Creator born, yet with a science experiment aftertaste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think it was some human ancestors. Something like the Neanderthal's. They get bit by the scarab creatures the Engineers used to disperse the DNA.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Also we don't if the planet shown in the beginning that was seeded was earth...or was it? I can't remember for certain.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

I don't think it was stated that it was earth. At least not in the movie.

SM

SM

It's not stated that it's Earth and Ridley says on the commentary that it's not necessarily Earth.

Valaquen

Valaquen

I was sure I'd addressed this on Strange Shapes years ago. I found this:

QuoteArthur Max, in Prometheus: The Art of the Film, did note that the Engineers "play the role of God in the universe" and "have visited Earth many times over the millenia and given Mankind genetic upgrades, both physical and intellectual."

"The idea there is that it's part of the culture of the Engineers," said Arthur Max, "this race of interplanetary visitors who have given us upgrades –mentally and physically– over the millennium."

In Jon Spaihts' script it is revealed that the Engineers return to Earth every thousand years to 'update' their creations. "I was analysing historical changes in human DNA," the script reveals through the character of Watts/Shaw. "I found the same pattern. Every eleven centuries, a pulse of new information in the genome of the human race. All over the world. Evolution can't do that. Something was changing us. Changing the DNA of our species."

This would have clarified why humans are so genetically close to the Engineers, whilst our Earthly cousins, such as other primate species, have taken another evolutionary path. Essentially, what makes the human race so unique among Earth-life is merely a helping hand.

From these articles: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/gods-monsters/
https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/the-engineer-mythos/
https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/engineer-architecture/

They might be helpful. I wrote them years ago though.

The Old One

The Old One

TY Valaquen.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2018, 10:00:00 AM
I think it was some human ancestors. Something like the Neanderthal's. They get bit by the scarab creatures the Engineers used to disperse the DNA.

Yes, now that I think about it, it was a more evolved hominid; and it was a female. Also, this prehistoric hominid started to change to become more Engineer-like, after being bitten by the scarabs.

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 13, 2018, 07:52:31 PM
I was sure I'd addressed this on Strange Shapes years ago. I found this:

QuoteArthur Max, in Prometheus: The Art of the Film, did note that the Engineers "play the role of God in the universe" and "have visited Earth many times over the millenia and given Mankind genetic upgrades, both physical and intellectual."

"The idea there is that it's part of the culture of the Engineers," said Arthur Max, "this race of interplanetary visitors who have given us upgrades –mentally and physically– over the millennium."

In Jon Spaihts' script it is revealed that the Engineers return to Earth every thousand years to 'update' their creations. "I was analysing historical changes in human DNA," the script reveals through the character of Watts/Shaw. "I found the same pattern. Every eleven centuries, a pulse of new information in the genome of the human race. All over the world. Evolution can't do that. Something was changing us. Changing the DNA of our species."

This would have clarified why humans are so genetically close to the Engineers, whilst our Earthly cousins, such as other primate species, have taken another evolutionary path. Essentially, what makes the human race so unique among Earth-life is merely a helping hand.

From these articles: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/gods-monsters/
https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/the-engineer-mythos/
https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/20/engineer-architecture/

They might be helpful. I wrote them years ago though.

The content is highly reliable. Keep it up, dude.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed