Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 102,167 times)

Voodoo Magic

And I don't mean something snarky like "I liked when it was over".

AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem gets bashed a lot around here, but for many, there is still plenty of enjoyment to be had while watching this film.

So dust off that Unrated Version blu-ray, turn up the brightness on your television, give it another watch and tell us something you liked about it!

I'll start!

I really like how they portrayed the Predator Homeworld, everything from Wolf's throne room to the two sun landscape. It was a real nice balance between ancient yet technologically advanced, with jungle foilage about.

I really appreciated director Colin Strause indicating the interior of the Predator ship seen in "Predator 2" was an important reference to him when designing the world's look, including the color palette.  (I still haven't forgiven Paul Anderson for ignoring that P2 design for a more human cold steel technological ship design in the first AVP)

Nicely done!

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

I liked Wolf showing sadness over the death of one of the predators from the crashed ship. Implying they were friends, old hunt buddies or family. Yeah I know, it humanises him a little, but for me it was a nice touch.

I liked that the aliens were significantly harder to kill with contemporary weapons than the pulse rifles of the marines. 

Hmmm that's all i can recall ATM  :P

edit: Wolf had normal sized wristblades.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 09, 2018, 06:01:47 PM
I liked Wolf showing sadness over the death of one of the predators from the crashed ship. Implying they were friends, old hunt buddies or family. Yeah I know, it humanises him a little, but for me it was a nice touch.

I did too. I'm fine with a Yautja taking a moment to mourn, like a Spartan, but not becoming overcome with grief.

I also very much prefer the original unrated cut, where Wolf uses the helmet to investigate what happen. I can only assume it was originally cut because how poorly the face of ADI's Wolf with robotic eyes appeared in that scene. Incredibly low lit, yet still so fake looking imo. Oh Stan, how I miss you!

QuoteI liked that the aliens were significantly harder to kill with contemporary weapons than the pulse rifles of the marines.

100 times YES!!

QuoteWolf had normal sized wristblades.

Anderson....

Fleshwound

The very end where they tie Weylund and Yutani into things in the final scene.

426Buddy

One of the few things I liked? when the shuriken pins that girl to the wall. The effect was great and it made me a fan of the weapon itself.

AVP-CAPCOM

I liked the entire movie.

No seriously; other than the modern world setting AVP-R has a lot going for it, especially for a 90 minute movie.

If only they transferred it to the future it would be a 4/5 movie for me.

The Kurgan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 09, 2018, 07:07:41 PM
One of the few things I liked? when the shuriken pins that girl to the wall. The effect was great and it made me a fan of the weapon itself.

Yes, it looks super powerful when it is  just picking her up like she weights nothing.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 09, 2018, 07:02:50 PM
Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 09, 2018, 06:01:47 PM

I did too. I'm fine with a Yautja taking a moment to mourn, like a Spartan, but not becoming overcome with grief.

I also very much prefer the original unrated cut, where Wolf uses the helmet to investigate what happen. I can only assume it was originally cut because how poorly the face of ADI's Wolf with robotic eyes appeared in that scene. Incredibly low lit, yet still so fake looking imo. Oh Stan, how I miss you!

QuoteI liked that the aliens were significantly harder to kill with contemporary weapons than the pulse rifles of the marines.

100 times YES!!

QuoteWolf had normal sized wristblades.

Anderson....
https://media1.giphy.com/media/9ySjuLTJEpPAA/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c0d668038667a49366cf6b1

Yeah, it was just a quick moment of showing grief and than he was ready for action again. Like a seasoned warrior would do it.

What was Anderson thinking ? How would you even fight with two of this oversized things on your wrists? Glad we never really saw them in action. Would look pretty akward i think.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheKurgan on Dec 09, 2018, 07:20:14 PM
What was Anderson thinking ? How would you even fight with two of this oversized things on your wrists? Glad we never really saw them in action. Would look pretty akward i think.

It's certainly would be counterproductive when fighting close combat. Since Aliens have acid for blood, maybe it's meant to fight at a distance, at  medium range? But they already have weapons like the combistick for that.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Anderson simply thought bigger was cooler, without ever considering the practicality of it (much like the humongous horns on the hell-hounds in "Predators".)

Yes, it looks super powerful when it is  just picking her up like she weights nothing.

Yep, it made me a fan of it too. The way it scooped her up... Pretty gruesome!

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 09, 2018, 07:51:07 PM

It's certainly would be counterproductive when fighting close combat. Since Aliens have acid for blood, maybe it's meant to fight at a distance, at  medium range? But they already have weapons like the combistick for that.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if Anderson simply thought bigger was cooler, without ever considering the practicality of it (much like the humongous horns on the hell-hounds in "Predators".)

Yep, it made me a fan of it too. The way it scooped her up... Pretty gruesome!

I think Anderson propably thought bigger means cooler. Judging from his other movies  ;D
The wristblades should just be a side arm or last resort kinda weapon. Combisticks and especially the naginata from the comics are much better weapons to engage xenomorphs in close combat.

Found two other things i liked, wolf had way less armor than scar and his crew. The armor makes sense when fighting something up close with acid blood and it propably kept Celtic alive a little longer, but it just does not look the part. The asymetrical armor on just one side of the body and less armored shoulders and legs looks much better to me. And Wolf did not look like his main dish are whey shakes :P

Huggs

Now that I own the unrated cut on bluray and can actually see things other than darkness, there are several things I like.

I like the opening onboard the ship. I like the predalien, the fight through the hospital, and the fight at the power plant. I especially enjoyed the moment where the deputy saw and ran from wolf in the woods. It felt like the truest Predator scene since P2. I like most of it really. If you take it one scene at a time, there was really a lot more to see and experience than people think. The cast wasn't very good, and the human elements weren't grand, but it felt far more mature and scary than AVP1.

Even though the characters were so poorly written, I sometimes wonder if AVPR would've been better received had it taken place in a more interesting location like AVP1?

I still want to see AVP3. Hell, I want to see alot of AVP movies. I'd love to see the company venture deep to the bottom and see the queens corpse, like the fallen kingdom opening, or see a film set on a cruiser or a distant colony. There is a lot of things to build upon with AVP, but I worry that Shane and his antics might've cost us that chance.

windebieste

There's 2 things about this movie that I really like.

The first movie was goofy fun so taking those cues and following up the story on Earth worked for me.  Crashing the ship in the forest and letting loose a bunch of facehuggers near a population center has great appeal.  The general story works as far as I am concerned and if this had been a novel, I would have enjoyed it a lot.  It's unfortunate that the movie is sooo dark and a wasted opportunity to bring Aliens back to Earth.

The other thing I liked a lot about the movie was the Predalien.  It was an enormous hulking brute and the narrative was always heading towards the Big Showdown between it and Wolf.  This was a central goal leading up to the end of the movie.  I really wanted to see a victor emerge from that fight... Welp. 

I don't mind a lot of the other issues present in the movie that some people have problems with.  Kids getting facehugged and the pregnant woman scene were pretty essential considering the locale.  Any 'ALIEN' movie needs to live up the the name - it has to be confronting on some level in order to give the word 'alien' that much needed adjective meaning.  It should be confronting, hostile and outside conventional experience and these scenes definitely checked those boxes.  'ALIEN' movie content is always intended to convey a sense of personal loss and body horror.  How much more confronting can it be to assault children and mothers to be - the most vulnerable among any community?  Yeah.  That's gonna hurt; and it should! 

Otherwise what's the point of calling it 'ALIEN'? 

'AvP-R' much like ALIEN Resurrection as far as I am concerned.  There's a worthwhile story tucked away in there - but the direction  of it suffered from considerable mishandling, taking it down the wrong path stylistically and in many other ways.   This could have been a great movie.  It's 'meh' at best.

-Windebieste.

DerelictShip

Honestly, liked a lot of things. This just wasn't the AVP movie I wanted on screen.

Huggs

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 09, 2018, 09:57:10 PM
Honestly, liked a lot of things. This just wasn't the AVP movie I wanted on screen.

Same. I liked the setting of the first but hated the toned down feel. Loved the gruesomeness of AVPR but it still felt lacking. Then I read the novel AVP: Prey and realized what was missing.

DerelictShip

Yes, gruesomeness I felt was much better. Personally, I would have made it more gruesome, hold nothing back. I just really want to see an AVP movie in the future featuring all the highlights of the franchise's....colonial marines, xenomorphs, Yautja, futuristic setting.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2018, 08:06:23 PM
Now that I own the unrated cut on bluray and can actually see things other than darkness, there are several things I like.
Is it better? I just assumed it was the same shit as the dvd and never bothered with it.

I like the movie... ironically didn't much care for the parts in the daylight which were visible though. :P

I liked how the aliens cleared the town over night and slaughter the national guard. All those empty and bloodless cars on the roadway was a neat scene. Wolf punching that one xeno was fantastic. The dumb redneck town folks were accurate to a fault. The final bombing run/fight was better than most can accept. I liked that they had the balls to kill fetuses. They shouldn't huv dun it but these things are supposed to be nightmare fuel.

Also no one actually stabbed the other in the back? People seemed to be working together and talking it out and not in the boring AVP 1 way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed