Were the Xenomorphs Extinct....(or thought to be)

Started by DerelictShip, Dec 06, 2018, 03:13:07 AM

Author
Were the Xenomorphs Extinct....(or thought to be) (Read 20,539 times)

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Do you fancy the theory that maybe the engineers/space jockeys believed the xenomorphs were extinct, maybe just a legend, or myth from their past?

I say this only to spark some ideas but here are my reasonings (feel free to add):

The Space Jockey I, in my personal opinion, think the Space Jockey and Engineers were two separate branches of the same species. Anyhow, in Alien, the Jockey appears fossilized and the ship seems as though it has been there for thousands of years, abandoned. God knows how long that distress beacon was going on for, but clearly no one wanted to find them, or maybe they were just that cut off from everyone else. The eggs below/within the ship seemed as though they hadn't been disturbed since the fate of the Jockey, so I assume they are just as old, and have been there for just as long as old elephant head has been decaying.

The Mural in Prometheus we all know of the xenomorph-looking depiction on the wall. Considering that engineers pre-date humans this means the mural could be thousands of years old. Maybe something they worshipped? Or feared (As if it were a sculpture of their Devil)? Or simply were fascinated by it?

David finally, the Android David stumbles upon some blueprints, thus allowing him to recreate the xenomorph. This just made me think that xenomorph must be an older species that the Engineers/Jockeys knew about. Also, when David attacks those Engineers with the black goo they seem so confused as to what it is, as if they're encountering it for the first time. I know it's not the xenomorph but it seems to go with the idea that the engineers had lost a part of their history.

Conclusion:
So, where am I getting at?
The Engineers/Space Jockeys are thousands maybe millions of years old. What if the xenomorphs were from an earlier time period of their species. Maybe they were used for war? Whatever their purpose, though, the xenomorph was eventually lost or forgotten, maybe put away from certain tyrants who would abuse it's power, or they just tried to remove it from history as best they could. Eventually, it became myth or legend to the younger and younger generations of the Engineers/Jockeys as they drifted further from their past. So, the xenomorph became extinct in the sense of losing part of their culture, or so they thought. Eventually, it would become unearthed and unleashed. Whether it was the events of David, or Alien, or something we haven't seen on screen, the xenomorph -an ancient mythological species- was brought back to light...

Similarly to how on Earth we have Pyramids and certain remanats of the past that no one has an explanation for, only theories.

When I picture this in my head I think of something similar to Lord of the Rings. How there were different ages and eventually all of the talk of the One Ring, which at one point was a very serious thing to everyone, died out and was lost, becoming myth. The only thing connecting their present with that past was stories or statues, slowly making it less 'real'. Then one day, it resurfaced, of course, causing chaos.

Thanks for reading!

SM

Not extinct.

Not created yet.

Huggs

Huggs

I never personally cared for the idea of the xenomorphs being "used" as anything by anyone. Making them a creation of any humanoid species, or demoting them to the status of a tool is demeaning, in my opinion. To me, they will always be the anti-life, or space cancer. Call it evolution gone wrong, call them the devil's children, the universal reset, etc.

Created by no one, controlled by nothing, a hostile organism of singular purpose and utterly incomprehensible ability. They are out there, they have always been out there. They sleep beneath the dust, the dark, and all that's dead. And they will royally mess up anything that sets foot near them.

SM

I always liked the deleted line from Resurrection.

"It's a cancer. You can't teach it tricks."

Huggs

Huggs

If I remember correctly, cancer is also referenced in A:CM. They are indeed like insects in their form and individual behavior, but as a whole, I'd say cancer is closer to what they (the species) are. This is appropriate though, considering that if they're not kept in check when one is born, they will quickly spread and infect any other areas, and the situation becomes malignant.

SiL

The cancer in question there is when the embryo is implanted, as a kind of 'f**k you' to Resurrection.

DerelictShip

Most definitely, I'm not trying to ignore that at all. I definitely agree with the space cancer theory, personally makes the most sense to me.

But there is no denying, space cancer or not, that the Engineers/Jockeys got a hold of the xenomorphs eventually and tried to use them for....something. Sorry if I made it sound like the Engineers created them. No, no, no I meant for it to sound more like the engineers discovered something that was always there and royally f'd up by trying to cultivate it. And due to the xenomorphs uncontrollable nature, maybe they found it best to completely turn their backs on that time period they were doing such things.

Maybe they had a moment where the xenomorph threatened their existence or showed it's power in their species history. Humbling them and forcing them to respect it, giving them no option but to leave it alone.

SiL

There's lots of denying -- Covenant shows David making the Alien, so the Engineers wouldn't know anything about them.

I'm also going to apologise in advanced for the inevitable 5-page derail that's about to happen as people argue what Covenant was showing in the scene where David explains how he made the Aliens.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Dec 06, 2018, 04:02:08 AM
I'm also going to apologise in advanced for the inevitable 5-page derail that's about to happen

The bylaws call for 4 and 2/3...and you know it.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Dec 06, 2018, 04:02:08 AM
There's lots of denying -- Covenant shows David making the Alien, so the Engineers wouldn't know anything about them.

I'm also going to apologise in advanced for the inevitable 5-page derail that's about to happen as people argue what Covenant was showing in the scene where David explains how he made the Aliens.

Huggs

Indeed, as far as Ridley's narrative goes, whether it was David or the engineers, it all comes down to the black goo. Do we know yet whether this was a natural substance or something created totally from scratch?

I hope it's not going to turn out to be the royal jelly of some other species.

DerelictShip

Honestly, maybe we should just let our imagination take hold of what David is doing onboard the covenant.

I don't want to think that any of those films will lead up to the original Alien. Rather just a side story that is related to the Alien universe and just expands the mystery.

In my mind the derelict ship is already crashed on lv426 and has been for thousands of years, and the space jockey is a different species of engineers, and the Alien was accidentally discovered by them.

So, I made this comment on the David Creator thread which lead me to create this thread.

I think after all the film's I have just decided to nitpick and block certain things out.

Gonna have to watch Covenant again cause to tell you the truth I can't remember how David and the eggs are portrayed. Wasn't there bonus features saying he found the engineers blue prints or something?

Jeesh....this universe is a mess.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 06, 2018, 04:21:08 AM
Jeesh....this universe is a mess.

Never send a Lindelof to do an O'Bannon/Shusett job.

But seriously, these are the clues we've been given. So let's trace it back and try to make sense out of it. We've heard the base on lv-223 was a military installation for the engineers. It has been abandoned for some 2000 or some odd years. The black goo was a bioweapon being harnessed by the engineers. From it came deacons, one of which could be heard during the outbreak holograph, and we saw signs of chestbursting from the engineer bodies and cryotubes.

The urn room had a large stone head similar to David's palace on paradise, but the room on lv-223 clearly had some kind of deacon figure imbedded into the mural. So this form was known to them as of 2000 years prior. It's often been hinted that there may have been a civil war going on between rival factions of engineers. Perhaps the military wing of the engineers broke off and either worshipped the creature as some god of war or harnessed its potential as a weapon.

My working theory within Ridley's narrative has been that the engineers were experiencing a civil war. Worlds were being seeded and species being created for scientific research, harvesting etc. Perhaps for a cure to some disease. One side didn't agree with the wholesale slaughter of entire species just for the sake of scientific accomplishment or a cure. Perhaps this was an issue similar to stem cell research, but on a much larger scale. Who knows? But somebody turned traitor and set crap off at lv-223. Some escaped, most didn't. One crashed on LV-426.

So you have all of these events going on involving engineers 2000 years ago, and the black goo was in play, making deacons, not xenomorphs. Seeing as how we did not see any facehugger eggs until david made some, all there would be on lv-223 was goo. So we know Rildey wants David to be the creator of the xenomorph species, and we've been shown no evidence to refute that. I'd rather he wasn't, but unless we go back to lv-223 and see eggs in other parts of the installation, then current cannon dictates David is indeed the creator of the xenomorph.

SM

It's not a mess.  As it stands, David made the Aliens.  If future instalments introduce unexplained contradictions - then it might be a mess.

toro

do you consider the deacon an alien?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed