Best/worst of the EU?

Started by The Kurgan, Nov 20, 2018, 11:06:18 AM

Author
Best/worst of the EU? (Read 1,027 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

What is in your opinion the best or worst the Alien/Predator EU has brought forth ?

Novels, comics, games whatever the medium.
Give some personal high- or lowlights and why it is that way for you.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

'Aliens: Labyrinth' is excellent. Great art, great characters, memorable plot that's well-executed, it's just fantastic.

Also, "best/worst" can be super duper subjective. Are we talking "stuff you enjoyed the most", or "quality from some kind of objective standpoint"?

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 20, 2018, 11:19:58 AM
'Aliens: Labyrinth' is excellent. Great art, great characters, memorable plot that's well-executed, it's just fantastic.

Also, "best/worst" can be super duper subjective. Are we talking "stuff you enjoyed the most", or "quality from some kind of objective standpoint"?

Agreed, Labyrinth was great. One of my EU highlights aswell.

Let's talk about stuff from a subjective standpoint . Iam interested what people liked, and why. 

Samhain13

Samhain13

Best EU material: AVP2 2001 game. Best world building, background lore, setting(LV-1201), atmosphere, villains, history and goal for the characters you play as... maybe Concrete Jungle did a better "character arc" for the predator, but well it had the whole game dedicated only to Scarface. AVP2 still did a good job with Prince. The sounds and look of the creatures, the environments and gameplay captured the feeling of the ALIENS and PREDATOR the best, while Isolation did ALIEN the best. Those 2 games a did pretty well job at what they were trying to do.

Others that also stood out for me: Labyrinth, same reasons as above. South China Sea: baddass predator, good predator pov parts that didn't humanized the creature, baddass characters, good setting, lots of action. Predator 2 novel: pretty much a better more developed version of the movie with Predator pov parts and little different ending. Alan Dean Foster's novel trilogy did a good job, a more developed version of the movies. I liked the Rage War for trying different things and not completely f**king it up, well that's a first, the world building was pretty good, the higher scale battle scenario and setting on a further future was interesting.

Worst ones were some of the comics, like Deadliest of the Species, there are other really bad ones just don't remember their names, took a look years ago and pretended I never saw them.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Labyrinth was f***ed up in a good way. I made the mistake of watching Alien Theory's video on Church's survival in the hive, and couldn't sleep for a couple of days.

Really mixed on Earth War. Not the biggest fan of Xenos on Earth, but it gave some interesting dynamics between Hicks and Newt.

A lot of the other stuff is just odd. The comics really went all out with some nasty and weird stuff, especially when they put it far in the future.

I haven't touched the novels yet. All I've really done is read the backs in Barnes and Noble. I did go through Bug Hunt once, and I'm really baffled at the choices made. Like
Spoiler
Dietrich and Hudson in a relationship? No. That's kinda random.
[close]
As much as I wish they explored Drake and Vasquez, I'm glad they didn't because it probably would be very disappointing.

Alien: Isolation is a treat. I like what it introduced and included some sprinkles of it in my writing.

Aliens: Colonial Marines. I don't loathe it like some other people. Is the story pure fanservice? Yes. Are the characters unable to be emotionally invested in? Yes. Is the AI crap? Yep. Am I gonna continue to believe Hudson lived? Sure am. Still, it introduced some new toys to play with and gave us the idea that there's more than the pulse rifle and smartgun in the Marines' arsenal.

The Old One

The Old One

Best: Alien Isolation, Alien The Cold Forge, Labyrinth, Monolith's AVP.
Panel To Panel, The Illustrated Story, Tribes, Salvation, Dead Orbit, Dust To Dust, Defiance 1/2.

Middling but worth a look: Sacrifice, Alchemy, Survival, Stronghold, Music Of The Spears,
Glass Corridor, Wraith, Apocalypse, The Original Series Aliens & AVP. More Than Human.

Worst: ACM, Rage War Trilogy, Titan's "OotS, RoP, SoS" Trilogy, Fire and Stone & Life and Death.

toro

toro

that seems a little harsh on f&s and l&d, were those runs really that bad?

The Old One

The Old One

I hate them. The characters were as shallow as puddles, the Pathogen's a mess, Eldon's contrived,
the artwork is pretty good when it's Predators and Humans but anything
narratively or visually concerning the Aliens or "Prometheus" is dumb as rocks.

At least Mondo was stupid through and through, F&S expects you to take it at face value.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 20, 2018, 12:11:39 PM
A lot of the other stuff is just odd. The comics really went all out with some nasty and weird stuff, especially when they put it far in the future.
To my recollection there really aren't many comics set far in the future compared to the movies. 'AvP: Thrill of the Hunt' and 'AvP: Civilized Beasts' are set circa 'Alien Resurrection', but I can't think of any others set in that timeframe.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What about DotS?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That's set very soon after the Alien invasion of Earth in Earth Hive (or at worst, soon after the end of The Female War) - it directly references it as if it's recent news.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 21, 2018, 08:55:54 PM
What about DotS?

In the Worst pile.

SiL

SiL

And yet the "must read" pile.

SM

SM

At least once.

Huggs

Huggs

Games?

Alien Isolation - Probably the closest we're ever going to get to the quality and style of the original film.
AVP3 - Loved the marine campaign. If only Rebellion would've handled A:CM.

Books?

AVP: Prey
Earth Hive
Nightmare Asylum
The Female War
Rogue
Labyrinth
Music of the Spears
Predator: If It Bleeds

Don't do comics. Can't do comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed