There is no Alien: Awakening script

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Nov 15, 2018, 10:18:55 PM

Author
There is no Alien: Awakening script (Read 20,195 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: David's Creation on Nov 17, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
Okay I sort of found what I was talking about...
http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/47179
This post references an Omega Underground article, but the Omega Underground website is gone now.

So if the Blu-ray.com post and Omega Underground article are to be believed, they were going to start pre-production in September of 2017, then roll cameras in the summer of 2018.  This lines up with the "14 months" Ridley was talking about during the Covenant interviews.  It is entirely possible that the script still had a long way to go by the time they pulled the plug, but I'm sure they had a rough outline.

Omega Underground is fairly solid, they're still around and have merged with Geeks WorldWide. And yeah, 14 months would have put it towards the end of summer 2018 (unless they were talking about the Aussie summer of course).

In that AVPG news article link I gave, Ridley also said; "We're writing [a sequel] now, as we speak". So yeah, like you said it does indeed look like they started writing it or at the very least outlining it. I think that quote of Ridley was taken at the press junket at the premiere. And I think about three weeks after that it would have become increasingly obvious that Covenant wasn't performing well at the box office. So I don't think a huge amount of writing was done either way.

PureKino

PureKino

Why are you all talking like this franchise still has a future? An R rated horror series that hasn't been profitable in theaters since the eighties? Disney will bury Alien and Predator deeper than Black Cauldron. All they really wanted from Fox was the X-Men, Avatar and their market shares and to get one step closer to that sweet, sweet entertainment monopoly they're listing after. Everything else is getting flushed. The Alien, Predator and AvP franchises are all over. Forever. Once the merger is finalized you can expect all those nifty little toys, comics, vidya and novels to get the axe too. Disney will not was money on anything that isnt taking off like a rocket.

Wainkapu Sidious

Wainkapu Sidious

I watched Alien today and listened to the Audio Commentary. The great Dan O' Bannon made a statement that is so very telling of the Alien franchise in its current state: "Familiarity breeds contempt." In other words, the Xenomorph no longer packs the punch it once did. Of the six films in the franchise only three are top-notch: Alien, Aliens, and yes, Prometheus. Prometheus, faults and all, was a refreshing take on the franchise. The biggest flaw I think was the whole Engineer human creation storyline. The other films: Alien 3, Alien: Resurrection, and Alien: Covenant along with the crossover films, AVP & AVP:R made the Xenomorph boring. In my humble opinion, a film adaptation of Alien: Isolation should have been Ridley's next Alien project after Prometheus.

The Old One

The Old One

"Familiarity breeds contempt."
Although:

Alien Isolation & Alien The Cold Forge.

+ (The prospect of an Alien prequel about the SJ in 2010-12 had people salivating much like the Alien itself.)
It was unfortunately written by people who wrote; Passengers, The Mummy, Into Darkness and Tomorrowland.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Ridley Scott has run out of extension lead, so much he will never connect the narrative, starting with Prometheus, to ALIEN.
Ok we get it you, Ridley, gave us a vision of an Engineer Race (unimaginative IMO) that didn't have anyone holding their breath for a sequel.
Scott even unceremoniously ditched his teased "Paradise" sequel, loose end. To say "that wasn't the engineers homeworld" was some coping mechanism.

ALIEN-Covenant was awesome as we finally got Xenomorphs against an intriguing "David" story-arc. But was the dip in box office to do with associations with Prometheus or ALIEN?

Ridley Scott was then clutching at straws with his whole "lets make an AI movie" given many critics said the android existentual crisis sub-plot, in Covenant, was more compelling than the Xenomorphs. I think we got the best of both worlds, although its frustrating that yet another loose end went nowhere.

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 19, 2018, 11:10:12 AM
"Familiarity breeds contempt."
Although:

Dan O Bannon is right to a degree. There is only so much you can do within a confined space, in the case of ALIEN literally and thematically speaking.

Most franchises increased their box office by going big and branching into other genres. I'd like a Director to create suspense, atmosphere and danger as much as the next person would like an ALIEN (1979) film.

But we haven't got time for that. It's time to go big or go home. IMO an ALIEN 5 whereby the crew finds the colony ship hijacked by David.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: PureKino on Nov 18, 2018, 11:30:33 PM
Why are you all talking like this franchise still has a future? An R rated horror series that hasn't been profitable in theaters since the eighties? Disney will bury Alien and Predator deeper than Black Cauldron. All they really wanted from Fox was the X-Men, Avatar and their market shares and to get one step closer to that sweet, sweet entertainment monopoly they're listing after. Everything else is getting flushed. The Alien, Predator and AvP franchises are all over. Forever. Once the merger is finalized you can expect all those nifty little toys, comics, vidya and novels to get the axe too. Disney will not was money on anything that isnt taking off like a rocket.
We're talking out of hope because we love this franchise.

And there is money to be made with it.  Covenant and AVP were just barely profitable, but Prometheus was definitely profitable, and the merchandise, comics, books, & games are also money-makers.  It all pales in comparison to Marvel earnings, but it would be dumb to just flush it all.

If they truly don't intend to do anything with it, then it would be stupid not to sell it to another company for a quick buck.  I'm sure Warner Brothers, Paramount, or Universal Studios would be happy to own it.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 17, 2018, 04:56:51 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2018, 10:13:39 PM
I dunno... ive worked in the art department on several features and it is just rather common place for the studio to keep certain things they deem potentially useful. It doesnt necessarily have to be used for sequels. Its a very strange process of elimination when a film wraps for the art department. I once watched a studio insist on keeping one of two portraits of Julia Roberts, made for a film... She asked for both, they gave her one and wanted to keep the other. Julia had contracted that she get to keep her wardrobe, and thenwhen she came to pick it up she tried to pick up the second portrait too. Her excuse? "what the hell are they gonnando with this other portrait of me in storage?" Reshoots had been completed. Not sure what ended up happening to that portrait, but Im currently typing this one my cellphone in the bed she shared in that film with a handsome costar... so none of what they keep or waste or give away and auction off really makes sense in any logical way. Im sure they may have been inclined to keep some stuff but it doesn't necessarily mean anything is solidly in the works. If they had dates to start shooting THAT does make sense.

We're talking about the bigger stuff here though. Storage costs for things like clothing or a portrait wouldn't be an issue either way. If there's no sequel or reshoots planned, these smaller items (especially the so-called "hero props") often make their way to places like Propstore which help to defray the production costs a teensy bit.

Large relative items like an Engineer/ SJ sculpt would certainly be the type of thing they would keep. Especially if Scott made some sort of note about what should or shouldn't be in mind for a sequel. That said, things like Wardrobe on a film like this takes up alot more "space" than you might think. It's more about cost/benefit. It's like moving across country with your furniture. Does it cost more to move the couch than replace the couch? The storage cost may actually be more than you'd imagine for something like a Space Jockey prop. They may keep the mold instead, for instance. Whereas, smaller sections of the cockpit of the Covenant would be something cheaper to save than re-fabricate.

In any case, its hard to say. What's reliable is if they had production dates planned / stage rental already... That type of thing is telling.

*Fixed quotes. Hicks.

Richman678

I view this as a good thing. I did not like Covenant, and i would prefer a new writer anyways.

El Pistolero

I listened today to a podcast with Neil Marshall andMick Garris. Neil said he would kill to direct an Alien movie. I think it is time to let someone on this franchise with a passion for it. Someone who es fan of it. Ridley is for me a wonderful visual director. But it seems he is working on alien without any plan. Stephen King said ones, that he needs always an end for a story at first. But it is changing all the time while he is writing. The story Ridley Scott is telling doesn't has any ending I believe.

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: David's Creation on Nov 19, 2018, 05:44:21 PMAnd there is money to be made with it.  Covenant and AVP were just barely profitable, but Prometheus was definitely profitable.

The thing with "Prometheus" is it wasn't sold as an Alien movie. It was sold as big budget, extravagant science fiction movie.  And the main trailer was wonderful! I alone know a couple people who went to "Prometheus" having no idea it was even tied to Alien.

With that said, I think with Alien (and Predator), both can continue to be profitable franchises, but their ceiling is much lower than Marvel movies and the like. So the key to their success is making these films on lower budgets, and being happy with John Wick type of receipts.  But is that enough for Disney?

It will be interesting to see how Disney will approach these properties.  Smaller studios would love the smaller sized profits A&P could bring.  But will the gargantuan Disney see small theatrical profits like that as a waste of their time?  Will they target future A & P movies not released theatrically, but on their streaming service instead?  We'll just have to wait and see.

Whos_Nick

They certainly need to make these movies cheaper. Disney won't sell off valuable IP either since 20thCF will continue as a studio under their umbrella, they already appointed leadership. Emma Watts running it. Series can benefit both franchises

El Pistolero

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 22, 2018, 12:55:36 PM
What was the podcast?

https://postmortempodcast.libsyn.com/neil-marshall

This one?

That it is. Oh you really should listen to the podcast. There is one with Walter Hill talking about his career and the changes he did on the alien script. And there is also one with Fred Dekker I haven't listen to it yet. In that one with Neil Marshall he is also talking very short about he tried to get on Predators.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks, man. I'll check it out.

toro

toro

i feel like a neil marshall alien would be scary and fun - dog solders, the descent - but not transcending like denis villeneuve or alex garland's would be

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed