CONFIRMED? 'Super Predators' and 'Upgrades" are one in the same.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Nov 14, 2018, 02:11:46 PM

Author
CONFIRMED? 'Super Predators' and 'Upgrades" are one in the same. (Read 3,758 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

So I have yet to read the "Predators" script, but look what I found on the Trivia Section of the XENOPEDIA Super Predator page:

• Unlike other Predators, who hunt for honor and for trophies, in the script the Super Predators hunt for DNA to become more powerful hunters. This was later dropped from the film, but the Super Predators still hunt them to improve themselves. They also hunt for sport

I've hypothesized before that both the Super & Upgrades were from the same rogue clan who doesn't follow the old Yautja ways and honor system.  Both hunting your own kind and genetic mutation have to be considered some sort of blasphemy.

Well now I think we have confirmation!

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Predator

The Kurgan

Was it ever confirmed how the predator clan system works? are they related or just a group of same minded predators forming a loose goup ?

I think if it's the later it makes sense that it's the same clan. I can imagine it would be tempting for a predator to improve his performence through genetic tempering. They seem to value individual prowess above anything else. Kinda like an athlete has the temptation of using illegal substances to increase performence, despite all the fair play and other codes of conduct.

So maybe some predators give in to the temptation to undergo this treatment and join clans of similiar minded predators, the "super" predators.

Voodoo Magic

Yep, makes sense to me.

JokersWarPig

I've thought they were at least related in some way since seeing the movie. The coloration of the Assassin and Berserker is very similar, the same singe bladed wrist weapon, similar "brutal"/less honorable disposition when it comes to hunting.

The Kurgan

Berserker and Assassin had a similiar color, but Tracker and Falcon had a different color. On the other hand the predators in Predator 2 where all similiar colored.
Good point with the single blade. Fugitive in contrast had the classic two blade version.

I think their less honorable behavior comes from the fact, that after breaking the taboo of genetic alteration, they just cut lose and enjoy the killing. If you break one rule, why keep up the rest. Just do whatever gives you pleasure. No proof of course, just a theory of mine

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Thumbing through the script. Went to Noland's section first:

JokersWarPig

Sounds like genetic altercation to me.
I don't like the idea of all the Predators doing it, but I'm completely ok in one specific clan doing it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 14, 2018, 04:40:20 PM
I don't like the idea of all the Predators doing it, but I'm completely ok in one specific clan doing it.

Agreed!

The Kurgan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 14, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 14, 2018, 04:40:20 PM

Agreed!

Yep. You could only imply it more if you outright state it.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 14, 2018, 02:11:46 PM
So I have yet to read the "Predators" script, but look what I found on the Trivia Section of the XENOPEDIA Super Predator page:

• Unlike other Predators, who hunt for honor and for trophies, in the script the Super Predators hunt for DNA to become more powerful hunters. This was later dropped from the film, but the Super Predators still hunt them to improve themselves. They also hunt for sport

I've hypothesized before that both the Super & Upgrades were from the same rogue clan who doesn't follow the old Yautja ways and honor system.  Both hunting your own kind and genetic mutation have to be considered some sort of blasphemy.

This is not confirmation that they are one in the same, as it clearly says, it was dropped.
Instead the Super Predators only improve themselves in terms of tactics, weaponry and armor by testing themselves against dangerous prey, granted they are taking a lot of the challenge away from themselves using the methods they do.
Also whereas the super predators are at war with another clan or are bad bloods, the upgrade seems to be an enforcer for a clan and it is Fugitive who is the traitor and "bad blood", at least for them.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Nov 14, 2018, 05:04:57 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 14, 2018, 02:11:46 PM

This is not confirmation that they are one in the same, as it clearly says, it was dropped.
Instead the Super Predators only improve themselves in terms of tactics, weaponry and armor by testing themselves against dangerous prey, granted they are taking a lot of the challenge away from themselves using the methods they do.
Also whereas the super predators are at war with another clan or are bad bloods, the upgrade seems to be an enforcer for a clan and it is Fugitive who is the traitor and "bad blood", at least for them.

Yes, it was in the "Predators" script, but left out of the film, but that doesn't equate to a dismissal or denial of its reasoning.

Why are the Super Predators larger than normal Predators?  Is that explained? No. It's left a mystery, for fans to hypothesize.  But the best answer we have to point to, is what we can find in the script that introduced these larger Predators to begin with (regardless if you, me, all of us may not like the answer.)

Also, just the term itself used in the script... "Super Predator"... says a lot however.

In regards to the Fugitive, all I'm certain is he came to warn humans / prepare humans from the Predators that want to take over Earth. Everything else I think is an assumption (I only saw it once and thumbed through the script once, so don't quote me  ;D).

The Cruentus

If something is dropped from the script and not in the movie, then yes, it usually means it is dismissed or not a part of the canon. Unless of course the peeps in charge say otherwise.
The Superpreds are not that larger than normal preds and it really isn't an indication of dna experiments, it could be either be different race or sub-species or simply individual differences like humans. The name super predators is from the original script and it is merely a left over from that, there is nothing "super" about these predators.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Nov 14, 2018, 07:33:33 PM
If something is dropped from the script and not in the movie, then yes, it usually means it is dismissed or not a part of the canon. Unless of course the peeps in charge say otherwise.

You can't go in saying, well it was cut, I don't know why, but because it's cut, what was cut can't be the explanation of the unexplained. Anything we make up is fine, just what was in the script isn't.  Actually, until it's explained to us in the definitive, it's the other way around. An unused portion of script has more weight than fan opinion.

QuoteThe Superpreds are not that larger than normal preds
Huh? Even if we forget the eye test, from XENOPEDIA:

• They are larger than mainstream Predators (in terms of muscularity), but still stand at around 7 feet tall (or more) like the "normal" Predators

Quoteand it really isn't an indication of dna experiments, it could be either be different race or sub-species or simply individual differences like humans.

So it can be anything you think of, just not genetic manipulation, just not what you can find in the script.  ::)

QuoteThe name super predators is from the original script and it is merely a left over from that, there is nothing "super" about these predators.

And you say this definitively because your secretly Nimród Antal, Alex Litvak, or Michael Finch?

Come on brother, I get you don't like it, but intellectually you have to leave open the possibility.

yhe1

QuoteI'm certain is he came to warn humans / prepare humans from the Predators that want to take over Earth

No, this is something that the Black guy assumed, but never confirmed.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yhe1 on Nov 14, 2018, 08:33:49 PM
QuoteI'm certain is he came to warn humans / prepare humans from the Predators that want to take over Earth

No, this is something that the Black guy assumed, but never confirmed.

You mean actor Sterling K. Brown as Will Traeger. Yeah, those were just assumptions of his weren't they. Good catch.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed