Alien anthology Film / TV Series?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 08, 2018, 05:11:34 AM

Author
Alien anthology Film / TV Series? (Read 3,980 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2018, 10:00:51 AM
QuoteI think the problem with the Alien Universe is that everyone expect to have Aliens in it.

The title is a bit of a giveaway.

Lol

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 11, 2018, 12:25:15 PM
Alien implies the presence of something foreign, you can do lots with that in Ridley Scott's universe without the necessity of Giger's monster.

True, but if we're being 100% honest with ourselves...

Immortan Jonesy

And yet, Prometheus (a film without the Alien) was successful compared to Covenant (a film with the Alien).

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 11, 2018, 03:19:27 PM
And yet, Prometheus (a film without the Alien) was successful compared to Covenant (a film with the Alien).

Though neither was it called Alien.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 11, 2018, 03:50:22 PM

Alien: Covenant actually, and the Alien itself was in the poster of the film. Alien Isolation, despite being a game, is far more memorable than Covy.

426Buddy

Yes, let us pretend the 'Alien' in the title isn't synonymous with Gigers creation. ::)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Nobody said otherwise, and definitely that wasn't the point either. :-\

El Pistolero

Covenand should have be a movie without the classic alien. I'm very sure I would have enjoyed that film much more then Prometheus. It is sad, that the expanse universe without the alien by Ridley Scott failed so much with covenant. But Im still belive, that it could still work.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 11, 2018, 05:30:10 PM

QuoteI think the problem with the Alien Universe is that everyone expect to have Aliens in it.

Alien implies the presence of something foreign, you can do lots with that in Ridley Scott's universe without the necessity of Giger's monster.

Guess I should have specified I wasnt really replying to your post. :-\

SM

SM

And one of the complaints about Ridley Scott returning to the Alien universe was that there wasn't an Aliens in it.

The Old One

The Old One

People complain about the Queen in Aliens too, or the design changes in Aliens. Strange Shapes explores that pretty well.

It's not a criticism that should've carried any weight.
The characters being brain-dead, nonsensical editing and writing should have.

SM

SM

Thanks for splaining what people can and can't be critical of. We wouldn't want to have to think for ourselves.

SiL

SiL

Alien implies the Alien. You can't expect people to ignore 40 years of material linking the two.

You could make interesting movies in the Predator universe without the Predator - the title only implies a carnivorous animal attacking prey! It takes place in present day, with plenty of interesting dramas and conflicts happening! You could totally rebrand the Hannibal Lector movie as Predator movies! - but you'd be dumb to expect it to float.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2018, 07:26:05 PM

And one of the complaints about Ridley Scott returning to the Alien universe was that there wasn't an Aliens in it.

And then, he returned once again to the universe with the Alien in his hands this time. While Alien: Covenant isn't a complete failure, the film didn't it earn the amount of money that FOX was expecting. Also, the noisiest complaints about Prometheus were about the stupid characters and the unhealthy exess of ambiguity.

On the other hand, my intention with this thread has nothing to do with considering the possibility of a movie without the Alien. But rather a narrative with the Alien, but with a proper exploration of the other elements of the universe. But not as in Prometheus, but more like an anthology film / TV series.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 11, 2018, 06:13:07 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 11, 2018, 05:30:10 PM

Guess I should have specified I wasnt really replying to your post. :-\

Ok  :)

SM

SM

One way you could do it would be a TV series. Each episode is an unrelated Alien story. Be pretty pricey though, especially considering Alien isn't exactly hot right now.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2018, 09:00:32 PM
Thanks for splaining what people can and can't be critical of. We wouldn't want to have to think for ourselves.

I said nothing of the sort, I said it shouldn't have carried any weight which is very different from saying it isn't valid.
Because the film is inferior to Alien and Aliens due to other elements, whether the Alien is present or otherwise.
We know this because very similar complaints regarding the writing are levied at Alien Covenant.
The "Xenomorph" presence or lack thereof isn't the problem with the prequels.

Quote from: SiL on Nov 11, 2018, 09:09:12 PM
Alien implies the Alien. You can't expect people to ignore 40 years of material linking the two.

You could make interesting movies in the Predator universe without the Predator - the title only implies a carnivorous animal attacking prey! It takes place in present day, with plenty of interesting dramas and conflicts happening! You could totally rebrand the Hannibal Lector movie as Predator movies! - but you'd be dumb to expect it to float.

Nah, Predator has no universe.

Besides- Prometheus did it, said "f**k the expectations" and made more moola than any of the rest.
The failure of reception beyond initial mystery box viewings- again, was in the writing- not the presence of an Alien.

People like Anthologies and are open to them as recent successful TV shows have proven.
I'm not blind, deaf and dumb- I know there's an association to Giger's Alien and rightfully so;
it's the ultimate embodiment of the title but it's not the only possible embodiment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed