PREDATOR 2 - I just don't get it!

Started by Voodoo Magic, Nov 05, 2018, 06:01:05 PM

Author
PREDATOR 2 - I just don't get it! (Read 19,428 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Nov 06, 2018, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 06, 2018, 12:53:59 PM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 06, 2018, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 06, 2018, 11:18:00 AM
I guess you haven't done a lot of "Predator 2" google searches and tons of critic & audience review reading because no, whiterabbit is right. A lot of people say that. A lot.  It's not always the only reason, but it comes up repeatedly.
It's absolutely no secret that lots of people commented that Arnie's absence hurt the picture. Whiterabbit is super disingenuous saying that people who saw the movie all said they liked it -- it was plenty trashed on release as a disappointment for reasons other than Arnie.
Yes, however, another reason it continues to be trashed by some is solely the lack of Arnold Schwarzenegger.  A 'no Arnie, no Predator' mentality. 

My whole declaration on this thread (other than to share that video) is I have no general understanding how this movie can be trashed at all, or labelled as trash. I intellectually get it if someone was talking "The Predator", but not this.  Definitely not this.

Consider yourself enlightened.

Will do!  You don't have to tell me that twice!   ;D

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 06, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 06, 2018, 04:32:00 PM
In fact, the whole movie is very comic-bookish overall.

True. But that is true of the whole cinematic franchise. We don't have to look any further than the original, right at those lovable, muscle bound commandos who cracks macho jokes like "I ain't got time to bleed" and "Knock knock"... the type that bring a minigun to a jungle!
The franchise has always had a balance of humor and violence, as you show. P2 is no different.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huntsman on Nov 07, 2018, 12:40:03 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 06, 2018, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Nov 06, 2018, 04:32:00 PM
In fact, the whole movie is very comic-bookish overall.

True. But that is true of the whole cinematic franchise. We don't have to look any further than the original, right at those lovable, muscle bound commandos who cracks macho jokes like "I ain't got time to bleed" and "Knock knock"... the type that bring a minigun to a jungle!
The franchise has always had a balance of humor and violence, as you show. P2 is no different.

Agreed. But putting humor aside momentarily, my point was instead of aiming for realism say like they did with "Alien", Predator human characters are often ''comicbooky', as in outlandish to a degree.. which isn't a knock at all, just the opposite, when it suits the material (and it suits Predator).

It is interesting to note that Shane Black's "The Predator" had the most realistic human characters to date, and I wouldn't see that as a compliment (in my humble opinion).

Highland

Highland

There's been so much bollocks involving Aliens and Predator that the older movies just keep aging like a fine wine.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Highland on Nov 07, 2018, 05:45:38 PM
There's been so much bollocks involving Aliens and Predator that the older movies just keep aging like a fine wine.

Yes. Indeed.  Sad, but true.

SM

SM

Predator 2 hasn't aged so much as become dated.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2018, 07:28:21 PM
Now that's a new one, i.e. a negative opinion I've never come across before (and believe me I've searched out many for "Predator 2").  I must kindly, unequivocally disagree.

Wysps

Wysps

Have to agree - Predator 2 just didn't age well.  I don't watch it nearly as often as the other movies in the series, but when I do I find myself eye rolling half the time, from the high-waisted pleated pants to the 80's "gang violence".  That being said, it doesn't make it any less entertaining  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Nov 07, 2018, 08:44:34 PM
Have to agree - Predator 2 just didn't age well.  I don't watch it nearly as often as the other movies in the series, but when I do I find myself eye rolling half the time, from the high-waisted pleated pants to the 80's "gang violence".  That being said, it doesn't make it any less entertaining  ;)

Ha! Well you got me there. I never noticed the high-waisted pleated pants.  ;D

But among the various criticisms I have read, I never see outdated as an issue or common thread with "Predator 2". On the otherhand, I have read various complaints with "The Terminator" and "Aliens" being outdated, but although they have some old fashion too - it's never directed at that -  but more with the stop-motion and miniature special effects.

SiL

SiL

The ridiculous guns with accessories glued on and the sweltering future world of 1997 did not age well, no.

The Old One

The Old One

I for one, love how ridiculous Predator 2 is.

SM

SM

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 07, 2018, 08:33:15 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2018, 07:28:21 PM
Now that's a new one, i.e. a negative opinion I've never come across before (and believe me I've searched out many for "Predator 2").  I must kindly, unequivocally disagree.

There's the very 1980s cheezy cliché of 'the commissioner just chewed me a new asshole; you're a good cop but YOU'RE TOO DANGEROUS!'.

Plus the costumes.  They looked a bit 'wut?' even back in 1990.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 07, 2018, 09:51:02 PM
I for one, love how ridiculous Predator 2 is.
Sure, it's half the fun.

Billiken

Billiken

I think we all just need to agree to disagree. Those love it like me will never have our opinions changed so haters might as well save their energy and keyboard. Those who love it will never change the opinions of those who hate it so I'm not wasting my energy on trying to convince people otherwise. 

SM

SM

But you'll waste time telling us that people are "hating"?  Who's hating?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed