Which Aliens film made you look forward to a sequel the most?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 04, 2018, 11:55:36 PM

Which Aliens film made you look forward to a sequel the most?

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Alien vs Predator
Aliens vs Predator Requiem
Author
Which Aliens film made you look forward to a sequel the most? (Read 11,666 times)

Perfect-Organism

Some Aliens films strike that resonating chord, filling you with wonder about where things could go next.  Some don't.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Looking back over the films, which ones made you feel inspired and desiring a sequel?  Assume, that none of these actually had a sequel, and based on that, which do you think actually make the best case for one?  If a story fills you with "meh", then you probably don't feel the need to find out what happens next, so no sequel for that film.  Choose up to 3 films.

whiterabbit

Aliens and Prometheus. I'd add Covenant but it already has a much better sequel.

Oh and Alien 3 is the exact opposite of what this thread is asking.

And to be honest about it, Alien didn't need a sequel.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 05, 2018, 12:44:09 AM
Aliens and Prometheus. I'd add Covenant but it already has a much better sequel.

Oh and Alien 3 is the exact opposite of what this thread is asking.

A Covenant sequel?  I don't follow.  Something I am missing?

In truth, I voted for Alien though it was the only film in the series that I was too young to see originally, so the question is academic for me.  I clearly remember my thoughts about all the other films and which ones I wanted to see the story continue.  It was really Prometheus that piqued my interest out of the whole lot.  Alien would have made me want a sequel because the alien derelict was just too compelling and raised too many questions.  So when I saw it, it made me desire to know more about what that thing was and how it got where it did.  On another level, I guess I voted for Alien also because I gave myself 3 votes.  I think you were right though.  It would have made more sense to just vote for Aliens and Prometheus.  Prometheus literally had a Back to the Future ending.

The Old One

The Old One

The Trilogy- Ellen Ripley's story is finished.

But the company exists and the Alien, the namesake would undoubtedly return- free from restriction.

Prometheus is an immense disappointment in this regard.
Now? I just hope R.S will build off the back off the prequels
and create one last Sci-Fi masterpiece in this fictional Universe.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

PROMETHEUS AND ALIENS OF COURSE!  ;D also, such a shame that AVP didn't have a sequel that doesn't look like this...

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 05, 2018, 12:44:09 AM

One can argue Alien needed a prequel all the time, or flahback sequel if you prefer. ;)

The Old One

The Old One

No, Alien could've easily been the same as John Carpenter's The Thing, a one-off masterpiece.
To me, Aliens and AlienĀ³ proved it could exist as more than that.
My dream is a "Prometheus" that's good, in that regard.

Immortan Jonesy

Probably. However, the mystery of the big guy in the chair has enough merits imo.

The Old One

The Old One

It does, it was executed terribly unfortunately.

whiterabbit

Honestly, the only movie that made me want a sequel is Prometheus. All the movies before, never made me think I needed to see another. They just happened.

The Old One

The Old One

I understand that POV.

SM

For mine Alien 3 didn't really deliver on the promise of Aliens.  Particularly after the original comic run.

However, the only film that demanded a sequel was Prometheus due to leaving things hanging.  And then Covenant didn't really follow them up especially.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I agree whole heartily with that sentiment. However in that context Aliens didn't necessarily live up to Alien either. Which may be why Cameron set Aliens 57 years into the future. Talking about the elephant in the room Space Jockey. That question didn't get answered until 30 years later and then got derailed by David's story. So Prometheus essentially asked a question almost no one thought about aside from the most hard core fans and then said, let's discuss something else instead. Which fueled the desire for a sequel.

Also my context of the first part of the series is as a kid. I was 5 when I watched the first half of alien and maybe 9 when I saw Aliens. The concept of a sequel wasn't really something I thought about. Perhaps not until Alien 3 and T2. Didn't really give much thought to what was happening either. I watched them because they were scary. Not for Hudson shooting off his mouth.

I suppose that is the difference between the first three sequels and the last two prequels. All the sequels were made without a heavy emphasis on the plausible next installment. Where as the prequels were made with the expectation of a sequel. Also, clearly the creation of Prometheus over whelmed the creative crew, leading to what we got. Then the course change with Covenant. I guess that's the Ripleyverse/Ridleyverse thing.

windebieste

'ALIEN': Never needed a sequel in the first place.
'ALIENS': Cameron locked out all possibility of a sequel when he nuked Hadleys Hope and tossed the Queen out the airlock.
'ALIEN 3': Ended the trilogy, once again, no sequel was really needed.
'ALIEN: Resurrection'.  I always felt there was an open ending that felt like a sequel was forthcoming - nothing happened.
'AvP': Didn't need a sequel.
'AvP-R': Nah... doesn't need one either; but if one happens I'd love see the Queen emerge from the sea and take up residence in some drainage reticulation.  It would can't be any worse.

The prequels, however, are built very differently. PROMETHEUS feels so lacking without dovetailing into Covenant; and covenant feels incomplete with David taking charge of the ship and 200 colonists.  We know Scott has declared he's not finished with the Engineers.  C'mon.   

This is the sequel I want to see.  I really don't see the point of bringing back Ripley.  That's not going to work - it's all done and over.  But where Scott is heading with this series is enticing and fascinating on so many levels.  A third movie would be very welcome as far as I am concerned. 

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

The sequel I want is that one where we meet god and ties up the entire prequel series into the front end of Alien. I don't know when this is going to happen but it had better be damn good. :P

The most logical sequel in my opinion is Ripley 08 A:R 2 followed by Aliens 2. Actually the most logical movie is a new Aliens film.

Voodoo Magic

Without a doubt, "Aliens" made me look forward to a sequel the most.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed