Fix the Predator's problems in the sequel...

Started by yhe1, Nov 02, 2018, 05:38:42 PM

Author
Fix the Predator's problems in the sequel... (Read 2,145 times)

yhe1

Everything The Predator does wrong can be fixed The Giant Predator's hunting for DNA flies in the face of the Predator's honor code, so they need to be established as a minority villainous tribe with no honor. The autism boy needs to be killed by the Predators. This could also be a motivation for Boyd Holbrook's character as he failed to save his son. The Predator suit is kind of cool, but it was a one time gimmick, so the suit need to be worn by a villain of the next film and be destroyed at the end. If these three thing are done, then the movies would be back on track, while retaining some of the better concepts (Boyd Holbrook's character, mutated Predators for Classic honorable predators to fight, etc)

Huggs

Huggs

There will likely be no sequel to this film. And no future films (if there are any) will reference it in any meaningful way. It will be put on the shelf, and the industry will speak no more of it. I don't see Shane wanting to partake in this again anyway. It was a mess, no doubt for him as well.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

In every culture there are always some that rebel/reject/stray from tradition. So I'm cool with one tribe of Predators pursuing genetic manipulation (not to 11 feet mind you), as well as another tribe of Super Predators (genetically modified too?) hunting their own kind. Both actions are likely heresy and doesn't align with standard Predator culture.

However, with that said, the writing, direction, and execution of "The Predator" was just poor in my opinion. Especially the writing. There was some lofty good ideas in there, but the script was so frustratingly bad.  I did have some fun with "The Predator", but it saddens me to say this, I personally don't want Shane Black to ever go near the Predator franchise again.  And I think this cinematic storyline should end (in my humble opinion.)

yhe1

The china poster shows the Giant Predator has one wrist blade, same as the super predators

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yhe1 on Nov 02, 2018, 08:47:06 PM
The china poster shows the Giant Predator has one wrist blade, same as the super predators

Yeah that's true, good eye!

And as I mentioned before, the Super and the Upgrades being from the same clan truly makes sense and explains the Super Predators height difference. Genetic splicing and manipulation. Hunting their own. Torturing their own. These Predators are not honoring the old ways at all!

But I think one of Shane's many missteps was pushing the Upgrade to 11 feet tall.  I mean, the Upgrade is cool looking, but Shane should have asked himself, at what height does it start appearing ridiculous?

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 02, 2018, 06:59:37 PM
In every culture there are always some that rebel/reject/stray from tradition. So I'm cool with one tribe of Predators pursuing genetic manipulation (not to 11 feet mind you), as well as another tribe of Super Predators (genetically modified too?) hunting their own kind. Both actions are likely heresy and doesn't align with standard Predator culture.

However, with that said, the writing, direction, and execution of "The Predator" was just poor in my opinion. Especially the writing. There was some lofty good ideas in there, but the script was so frustratingly bad.  I did have some fun with "The Predator", but it saddens me to say this, I personally don't want Shane Black to ever go near the Predator franchise again.  And I think this cinematic storyline should end (in my humble opinion.)

I feel generally the same. I wouldn't want to see Black do another Predator film, not with the choices he made on this one that he had control over. I certainly don't want to see a follow up of any kind to this movie. For me, it was good enough to see once and be done with it. Some elements that were introduced that would inevitably appear in a sequel are just unsalvageable, in my opinion.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing another storyline take place focusing on the rivalries between the clans, I think that was an element that Black did a good job capitalizing on (though he may not have done as much with it as I'd have hoped.) Definitely did better with the idea than Predators.

Highland

QuoteDefinitely did better with the idea than Predators.

Not sure about that. I didn't fancy the whole upgrade thing, but I thought it was a bit more tactfully done in Predators. It needed exposition dialog to figure out, but I still thought Predators was a bit closer to Predator on the Predator scale.

The Predator is up beside Critters and Gremlins, actually that's harsh on Gremlins, that's a good movie.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Nov 04, 2018, 03:19:45 PM
That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing another storyline take place focusing on the rivalries between the clans, I think that was an element that Black did a good job capitalizing on (though he may not have done as much with it as I'd have hoped.)

So would I!  There were some really great elements in "The Predator" that could have been truly fantastic if fleshed out properly, by a good sci-fi writer.  Instead we got Shane Black and Fred Dekker.

I'm a third of the way in, reading the (so far) wonderful "Predator: If it Bleeds" story collection, and it just begs the question:  Why weren't one of these writers asked to take a stab at writing the new Predator movie, or at least consulted? Just another missed opportunity.   :-[

I read that after the misstep of "Terminator Genisys", Skydance Productions consulted sci-fi writers around the world seeking ideas where they could competently take the Terminator franchise. I only can hope Fox/Disney will do the same.

Naginata

OR you could just leave the trainwreck alone and make a good standalone Predator movie. We don't need to revisit these characters, or spitefully kill "autism boy" - which is wonderful terminology, by the way...  ::)

skull-splitter

Stand alone with just shared back ground lore has been my creed for this franchise forever. Predator 2 got that right.

yhe1

yhe1

Quote from: Naginata on Nov 05, 2018, 06:26:14 PM
OR you could just leave the trainwreck alone and make a good standalone Predator movie. We don't need to revisit these characters, or spitefully kill "autism boy" - which is wonderful terminology, by the way...  ::)

Well Boyd Holbrook's character is pretty good, and the Giant Predator can act as muscle, similar to Kurse in Thor the dark World. The main problem is the Autism is not a superpower.

That Global warming/gift stuff can simply be that humans got it wrong, and it would actually be consistent with the fugtive's behavior.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 02, 2018, 05:42:27 PM
There will likely be no sequel to this film. And no future films (if there are any) will reference it in any meaningful way. It will be put on the shelf, and the industry will speak no more of it. I don't see Shane wanting to partake in this again anyway. It was a mess, no doubt for him as well.

Yes.
What matters for the studios and a sequel is box office.
Right now, even with China, "The Predator" box office has not reached double its production budget.
(Only about 1/2 of box office $ gets back to the studio.)

Since Fox is now owned by Disney, for a movie to get a sequel would probably require box office at least 3X the production budget.
This is why the Marvel franchise keeps being extended by Disney. Those movies make a lot of money.
It's not about story. Take "Solo". That story had plenty of micromanaging by Disney. But the film bombed. So, Disney put on hold all new Star Wars extended universe live action films.

* I don't blame Shane Black for trying comedy in "The Predator". After all, the Marvel formula includes lots of comedy. But it's tricky. Either the audience laughs or it doesn't. And the comedy with "The Predator" didn't work well enough.

* For the future; with Predator fans (and Alien film fans) it's too bad because I don't see Disney releasing a new film in those franchises for at least 5 years.

;)

PS. Maybe an Alien TV series?
http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/rumor-alien-serial-show-development

skull-splitter

The line between contextually bound one liners and quipy banter as main method of communicating is kind lf clear and broad...

Wysps

Quote from: skull-splitter on Nov 10, 2018, 11:05:38 PM
The line between contextually bound one liners and quipy banter as main method of communicating is kind lf clear and broad...

And there's the rub.  It can work, but it needs to be done well - in appropriate places and not every scene throughout the movie.   

The Cruentus

Quote from: yhe1 on Nov 02, 2018, 05:38:42 PM
Everything The Predator does wrong can be fixed.

I have to disagree wtih that, a sequel can't undo the dna thing, the shark jumps or how a kid can understand predator tech without a rosetta stone. Autism does not work like that as far as I know as even the "savvies" should have to have a basic understanding of something before they can excel at it.
The best bet for the next predator movie is to either ignore the events or outright contradict it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed