Anyone else hate the idea of Predator dogs?

Started by AMITY_PREDATOR, Oct 19, 2018, 01:27:31 AM

Author
Anyone else hate the idea of Predator dogs? (Read 3,228 times)

AMITY_PREDATOR

AMITY_PREDATOR

I mean,  the Preds are creatures  with animalistic abilities and tendencies.  They can withstand jumps from 30 feet or more straight down, and then jump back at least as high, as evidenced by the City Hunter's attack on Keyes' team in Predator 2. they can climb almost any surface, be it trees, or nearly sheer surfaces like buildings. Their ability to hunt by sensing body heat is phenomenal. And let us not forget their strength and durability. Put that together with their technology, and the Predator hounds [Predators] and predator dogs [The Predator] seem rather redundant.

Predators was far from being my favorite Predator movie, but the creatures, to some extent, behaved like traditional Preds, save for the Tracker. I could sort of forgive the Falconer because he did use technology for the hunt; sort of a smart disc with eyes, that required him to actually hunt and capture prey. the idea of the Tracker has never sat right with me. For all intents and purposes, Predators are animals with humanoid behaviors--they don't really need animals to track their prey. the only benefit of the hounds were that they were fodder for Royce and the other killers, causing them to deplete their ammo, but, the Jungle and City Hunters were capable, for the most part, of doing the same with active cammo. Like I said, just seemed a bit redundant, and takes away from the horror of being hunted by an actual monster with better tech than we have.

SM

The ones they use as 'hounds' in Predators?

Made perfect sense for hunters.

Voodoo Magic

I believe they are referred to as "hounds", but yeah I like them.. and they make perfect sense to me. :)

The Old One

The Old One

Hate?

"Predators" Hounds? No.

"The Predator" Hounds? Yes.

Frosty Venom

Yeah the ones from Predators work really well and their main scene is pretty intense.

But the ones in The Predator are just shit and just stand there while getting shot.

Xenomrph

I'm pretty okay with them conceptually and in execution. I thought the ones in 'Predators' were more visually interesting (and I'm even willing to overlook the "HOW DO THEY EAT WITH THOSE GIANT TUSKS??" criticism, because of the Rule of Cool), but I thought the ones in 'The Predator' offered a bit more food for thought about lifeforms on Predator World.

SiL

They were better used in Predators, but

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 19, 2018, 04:55:56 AM
"HOW DO THEY EAT WITH THOSE GIANT TUSKS??"

:P

whiterabbit

How can you not love puppy dogs?

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Oct 19, 2018, 05:32:46 AM
They were better used in Predators, but

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 19, 2018, 04:55:56 AM
"HOW DO THEY EAT WITH THOSE GIANT TUSKS??"

:P
I'm not saying it's not a valid criticism, just that I'm willing to overlook it because they look cool. :P

SiL

I'll take them over the The Predator design any day.

Xenomrph

For me the biggest redeeming design bit for 'The Predator' dogs is the dreadlocks, and the implication that such dreadlocks are just a common evolutionary trait on Predator World. I think that's a neat idea.

Other than that they're generic as hell.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

While I like the idea of Predators having hunting hounds, I don't think either hound design is terrific.

In my opinion, the hounds in "Predators" are the worse of the two, and remind me of the the original Predator design before Stan Winston's... as in its construct was poorly, poorly designed. Forget how the hound maintains its balance to run instead of falling on its face as it sprints,  but how does it chase prey at high speeds without tusks and horns always getting hung up in the rocks, foilage and environment around it?  Evolution tends to be much smarter and would give that defensive protection to a slower plant eater.  It's ultimately a poor, not well thought out concept to me.  And the poor cgi did not help it.

The hounds in "The Predator" look tougher and more legitimate as a living creature, but their design is uninspired and too Earth dog like.  It would have been much nicer to see a more alien look to them, more exotic. A little more creativity. Make it functional, but more interesting, more memorable. Instead, they're more meh.

Now in regards to what the hounds actually did in each movie (which speaks nothing to their design), I disagree somewhat with @Frosty Venom with the complaint that "The Predator" hounds just stand there while getting shot" (even though one chases Quinn through the bleachers until it was killed).  Hunting hounds are not supposed to kill the prey, they are only supposed to follow the scent and lead the hunter to its prey, so the hunter can kill (or this time capture) its prey. So it actually makes sense to stand there and bark, so to speak.  The hounds in "Predators" were definitely more fun to watch in regards to action, but it doesn't make much sense to attack the game (even when your hunting a herd) if the name of the game is sport.

Huggs

The dogs from The Predator? No. I didn't care for what I saw of them

The Hounds from Predators? Yes. They were ferocious and uncompromising. I also liked their design better.

Nyarlathotep

As other here have already stated the ones from Predators were perfectly fine. The ones from the Predator not so much.

AMITY_PREDATOR

I had no idea this topic had posted. I started this on my phone when it froze. I would have edited it long before now had I known. Check out the 1st post again, I've gone into detail about what irks me about them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed