Finished watching AvP:R - I think for the first time on blu-ray on a good telly (rather than on a PC).
- Even mucking around with the TV settings - it's really, really dark.
- Why did Wolf just look at the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) through the hole in the concrete at the end of the sewer fight instead of just shooting it in the face?
- How did Wolf not see the Alien crawling underneath him at the power plant when he had his 'See the Alien' mode on?
- Picture quality - often VERY grainy. Being a pretty recent flick I didn't expect so much noise/ grain during scenes where there's a smoked out background (the Predator up in the tree healing himself is an example).
- The whip was a cool weapon - pity we can't see it being used in the department store due to it being so dark.
- Failure to exploit the lighting when the PredAlien (see above) approaches the hospital. Could've been cool if they used the red ambulance lights so they you could catch glimpses of the creature. As it is, it a black mass, moving a bit in a larger black mass, with a rare red highlight.
- After the department store we pan up from an Alien body to the roof where Wolf sorts his guns out. Has he abandoned his cover up mission by this point because he takes off to the hospital without cleaning up the mess on the pavement. Same deal with the dead Aliens in the sewer come to think of it. And if the blue Alien Eraser Fluid (TM) reacts so well with water as per the pool - why not just pour some in the sewer water in the first place?
- It is literally impossible to see what happened to Ricky's boss from the pizza shop.
- The CG shots of the of the Aliens scurrying on walls look better than the suits. Plus they're often in Predator vision mode so you can actually see them.
- Woodruff Jnr's curled claw 'Kill him my evil minions!' performance as the PredAlien (et al) in the hospital hive just pips the stupid backhander in the sewer as Tom's Worst Alien Scene.
- Grain/ noise/ artifacts/ whatever it is, is terrible in some of the final fight shots.
- The slow reveal of Wolf taking his mask off is beyond pointless. We know what he looks like from the start of the film; and in this scene the 'reveal' isn't especially revealing.
- When they stab each other at the end I just noticed the jet in the sky above them, which was cool.
- The soundtrack for all its fan filmesque greatest hitsness, is quite effective on occasion. Interesting that only two existing tracks from Predator are mentioned in the credits. Guess you don't need to if it's only mostly note-for-note.
Just watching the behind the scenes featurettes - what would've been seen as confidence had this film done well - comments like "Being brothers we have an unfair advantage as directors" and 'What's scarier, something that happens way out in space or in your own backyard' - comes across as arrogance.