Blomkamp Shares ADI Alien Sculpt for Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 06, 2018, 08:54:49 AM

Author
Blomkamp Shares ADI Alien Sculpt for Alien 5! (Read 42,536 times)

Adam802

Adam802

We may never know if Blomkamp's film would've been good or not, but it surely would've been better than what we got with the "prequels".  Prometheus/Covenant are bad not just because of the plot holes, ruining of the lore, bland characters, unrealistic character actions, etc, but simply because the very IDEA of a prequel to the first Alien film is a bad idea.  Alien should've never had a prequel.  Not everything is supposed to have a deep mythology/backstory/cinematic-universe, and in fact, Alien was designed not to.  The first Alien was a small/self-contained story, and Prometheus tried to be this grand epic philosophical movie answering the question of the meaning of life etc, something that was never a theme in the Alien movies, all while being ASHAMED to be an Alien prequel.  Ridley clearly wanted to make a non-Alien movie with Prometheus but I guess figured tacking it on to Alien would sell more tickets or something.  I genuinely wonder how many "casual" viewers saw Prometheus in theaters and didn't even know it was supposed to be a quasi-prequel.  The alien popping out of the stupid blue guy's chest at the end probably just confused them lol.   

No one should actually want to know/see the backstory of the f**king Alien/Space Jockey.  Because then it takes away the mystery and turns it into just another stupid cheesy movie monster, something the Alien was always above imo.  Aside from all the sexual metaphors, the Alien is also just supposed to represent the unknowable cosmic horrors that could await humanity in the black uncharted vastness of space.  Giving it a backstory (especially one as stupid and bad as the one given) just defeats the whole purpose.  At least the AvP movies were self aware enough to kind of know that they were corny disposable non-canon popcorn flicks.  But the "prequels" want to be taken super seriously and god its just so so bad smh. 

I want an Alien movie that isn't a spin-off or prequel ffs.  There's a literal 200 year gap between Alien 3 and Resurrection, do something there.  Or just stop making them at this point.  We've suffered enough. 

SM

QuoteWe may never know if Blomkamp's film would've been good or not, but it surely would've been better than what we got with the "prequels".

'We'll never know if Blomkamp's film was good except we do know.'

:laugh:

Yeah, righto.

Adam802

Quote from: SM on Oct 16, 2018, 10:48:16 PM
QuoteWe may never know if Blomkamp's film would've been good or not, but it surely would've been better than what we got with the "prequels".

'We'll never know if Blomkamp's film was good except we do know.'

:laugh:

Yeah, righto.

We don't know if it would've been good, but we do know that the prequels were bad. 

SM

Who's this "we", kemosabe?

Adam802

Yeah I know, there's people out there who actually liked the prequels, boggles my mind lol.  Regardless, I think I made some good points.

SM

A majority of people liked both films.

SiL

"We don't know if it would've been bad, but even if it was, it wouldn't be as bad as the two other movies."

Come on.

PsyKore

I think Alien 5 would have turned out to be a pale imitation of Aliens at the very best. It has way too much to live up to, in peoples minds and to the legacy of Aliens - there's no way in hell Blomkamp's Alien 5 would not disappoint everyone on some level. People are sore now because it's not being made, but I guarantee even if it was made, these people would still complain because it's not in line with their own ideals. Plus, Fox would probably view it as a HUGE cash cow for them especially considering its links with Cameron's film, which only means a lot of studio nonsense.

At least the prequels tried to appeal while bringing something different to the table.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Adam802 on Oct 16, 2018, 10:35:54 PM

No one should actually want to know/see the backstory of the f**king Alien/Space Jockey.  Because then it takes away the mystery and turns it into just another stupid cheesy movie monster, something the Alien was always above imo.  Aside from all the sexual metaphors, the Alien is also just supposed to represent the unknowable cosmic horrors that could await humanity in the black uncharted vastness of space.  Giving it a backstory (especially one as stupid and bad as the one given) just defeats the whole purpose.

I must say I agree with this sentiment.  Regardless how one feels about the  prequels, Alien lost much of its potency when Ridley started trying to explain its origin. For Alien to be completely effective, it needed to retain its mystery. (The same can be said about  H.R. Giger's art.) That's when Alien was at its terrifyingly best, something it has now lost with the existence of the prequels, in my humble opinion.

SM

Alien lost its potency when Giler and Hill couldn't figure out what to do with Alien 3.

Local Trouble

Not surprising since they didn't even want to make it.

AMITY_PREDATOR

AMITY_PREDATOR

To be honest,  I could live with  a movie  that incorporated a little of both,  with enough  room for at least  one,  intelligent and  well-armed reptilian warrior on the hunt.

Ugh,  this was in response to someone  who asked if the real fans wanted armored power loaders or crazy androids.

The Old One

The Old One

No room. IMO

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 15, 2018, 11:34:34 AM
Alien Isolation? Aliens Defiance/Resistance? Dead Orbit? Dust To Dust?

Only for movies I complain. Luckily it still happens elsewhere.

Nostromo

Nostromo

To quote Wierzbowski from Aliens "now what's this crap supposed to be".

I hope Blomkamp (Paul Anderson II) disappears.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed