Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 04, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Which do you like better?

Prometheus
70 (50%)
Alien Covenant
70 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author
Prometheus or Alien Covenant? (Read 33,815 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 10, 2018, 04:23:06 PM
I think Prometheus is the superior one, even if i have my fair share of problems with this movie. God damn it, Streitenfeld's soundtrack is beautiful though !

It always seems my way of thinking aligns with yours, brother. Prometheus for the win.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 11, 2018, 07:30:36 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Oct 10, 2018, 04:23:06 PM
I think Prometheus is the superior one, even if i have my fair share of problems with this movie. God damn it, Streitenfeld's soundtrack is beautiful though !

It always seems my way of thinking aligns with yours, brother. Prometheus for the win.

Indeed, cheers !

David Weyland

Difficult to articulate this vibe but Prometheus is more like Alien, Covenant is more like Aliens

CristianoRonaldo7

Prometheus is far better and bigger and most successful in any way. Alien: Covenant felt small. Prometheus felt like one of the Huge Epics from Ridley Scott.

Huggs

Huggs

Prometheus, hands down. I personally find the story, locations, cast, characters, and digital work to be superior. I saw more of what I wanted to see in Prometheus, than I did in Covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

Prometheus' cinematography is unparalleled in the series.

The sequel's focus is clearer though.
Further substance.

Darth Vile

Whilst flawed, Prometheus is by far the better film in my opinion. Better design, cinematography and concept/plot... although I think it suffers from poor editing/pacing, specifically in the middle section. I think Covenant is really good until David appears, then it rapidly descends into a kind of generic quasi action/horror.

Elmazalman

I still enjoy both films but voted for Prometheus.

Hudson

Hudson

Can't really stand either film, but my vote has to go to Prometheus because at least that movie made a commitment to what it wanted to be, which wasn't an 'Alien film' per se. It was just kind of a dangerous space adventure, not really a monster movie. Covenant can't really make up it's mind. For the first half it's like a darker, less convoluted Prometheus. For the second half, it's like a shitty, unremarkable version of Resurrection: "let's see how we can eject the xeno from the ship before we run out of time or people" type narrative. The only thing new about it was a shower scene...which has been a cliche of horror films since Psycho in 1960.

Also, in Prometheus, there's at least some characterization, even if much of it makes no sense (scientists afraid of scientific discovery, etc.). I've seen Covenant twice and basically don't know the majority of the characters' names or what distinguishes them. I remember that one woman is Jewish (I think), but I have no idea who her 'partner' was, which is important because that's a central conceit of the plot. I'm assuming she lost her partner, but it never seemed like she cared. I remember that two guys were gay, and that it isn't clear that's the case until one of them dies. No idea what their names were or what made them individuals with personalities. One of them was the security chief, so I knew his job but that's it. Obviously I remember Danny McBride because he's a star, and the main character because we spend more time with her. Prometheus made some effort to convince me I should care about at least some of the people in it; Covenant never even tried to convince me that the people were worth my emotional investment.

DerelictShip

I almost forgot how beautiful the cinematography is in Prometheus. I wonder if all the criticism it got shot down some of Ridleys confidence before going into A:C

D88M

D88M

Prometheus is flawed but still a better movie than Covenant, which also has good stuff but its flaws are bigger.

Xeno Killer 2179

Of the 6 films I think AC was the only one that didn't feel unique. I voted Prometheus.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 15, 2018, 11:57:02 AM
Prometheus' cinematography is unparalleled in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tPRPKfZwNM

Indeed  :o

Quote from: Hudson on Dec 12, 2018, 03:46:50 PM
Can't really stand either film, but my vote has to go to Prometheus because at least that movie made a commitment to what it wanted to be, which wasn't an 'Alien film' per se. It was just kind of a dangerous space adventure, not really a monster movie.

Prometheus for me was like the first space opera in the Alien series  :-X

Quote from: Hudson on Dec 12, 2018, 03:46:50 PM
Obviously I remember Danny McBride because he's a star

But seriously, everything is about Fassbender from the start to the end.  :P

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 12, 2018, 06:56:37 PM
I almost forgot how beautiful the cinematography is in Prometheus. I wonder if all the criticism it got shot down some of Ridleys confidence before going into A:C

Good question.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Covenant has a lot of red shirts (which at the end of the day doesn't really matter since they have no real bearing on David's story - they're sorta just there to be killed and showcase the horror), but I'd argue that they overall seem more believable in their roles and at least feel a little more realistic.

Prometheus' characters on the other hand feel way less realistic and are largely unlikeable or completely over-the-top.

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 12, 2018, 06:56:37 PM
I wonder if all the criticism it got shot down some of Ridleys confidence before going into A:C

I honestly think he just had a different approach with Covenant, making it more intimate and horror-focused in order to emulate the characteristics of the early films. If he had not been under such pressure to bring back the classic Alien, then maybe another more grand and epic film would have eventuated.

SM

SM

What "all the criticism"?  Prometheus was generally viewed pretty favourably.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed