Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 04, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Which do you like better?

Prometheus
70 (50%)
Alien Covenant
70 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author
Prometheus or Alien Covenant? (Read 34,184 times)

Evanus

Evanus

I like Prometheus more, although I like Covenant too.. a lot more than I used to. I just want a damn sequel!  :-\

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 07, 2018, 11:44:32 AM
The next movie has to answer that.

:D

If we've learned anything up to this point, it's that the next movie (which I sincerely hope doesn't happen unless it's Alien 5) will either not answer that question, or the 'answer' presented to us will be wholly unsatisfying and convoluted, or just a new question altogether. But I'm sure, either way, that the writers they hire to solve this problem will have worked as staff writers for a science fiction property of some sort, just so us fans accept their credibility/credentials going in.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 07, 2018, 08:51:28 PM

If we've learned anything up to this point, it's that the next movie (which I sincerely hope doesn't happen unless it's Alien 5) will either not answer that question, or the 'answer' presented to us will be wholly unsatisfying and convoluted, or just a new question altogether. But I'm sure, either way, that the writers they hire to solve this problem will have worked as staff writers for a science fiction property of some sort, just so us fans accept their credibility/credentials going in.

How about answering questions with more questions  ??? it's still an answer, kinda.  :P

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 07, 2018, 08:51:28 PM

PsyKore

PsyKore

I like Covenant way better. Its tone, its atmosphere, its themes. I love the nihilism, the AI aspects and the Frankenstein nature of it. Even right down to the music is superb. Covenant can also be viewed as a singular entry, which is sort of how I view it. To me, it doesn't really fit with Prometheus despite its links because it's so sharply tonally different, and it doesn't quite fit with the Alien series either (IMO), but by itself it's such a great film and a great side story.

I hope they get to make another one, but I'm hoping they fill in more about the Engineers, because I don't think they should just be swept to the side like they seem to have been at the moment.

The Old One

The Old One

I wish I enjoyed it as much as you PsyKore-
although I do love the things you describe, there's central character and decision- choices I do not.
(The title.)

PsyKore

PsyKore

Yeah, there's things that could be much better. I feel like with these prequels there's just some elements not fully connecting. Whether it's scripts, studio nonsense or Ridley himself, I don't know, but you sort of have to take the good with the bad at this point. I still think under the circumstances Covenant turned out to be a far better film than it is a bad one. I think it's far and away much better than Prometheus and probably slightly better than Alien 3.

The Old One

The Old One

I agree with the former statement, vehemently disagree with the latter.

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Covenant.

It has the Alien in it at the end. of the movie. That's all what matters.

Androids, Neomorphs and Facehuggers are cooked.

The Old One

The Old One

The artificial intelligence's the superlative aspect of the film. The magnificent performance.
The finale's the utmost ineffective section. Alien "slasher" presence.

The best depictions of the "Egg" and "Facehugger" hitherto.

& I love the Neomorph.

Stolen

Stolen

Covenant.
But I love both!

Only the Alien part of Covenant feels messy, otherwise the rest is perfect (plot, androids, scenery, landscapes, music)

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 09, 2018, 11:40:48 AM
The artificial intelligence's the superlative aspect of the film. The magnificent performance.
The finale's the utmost ineffective section. Alien "slasher" presence.

The best depictions of the "Egg" and "Facehugger" hitherto.

& I love the Neomorph.

I can live with that opinion. Yet, what is less "slasher" about roundhouse kicking, hand  chomping and head ripping Neomorph? Everything is full gore with the Neo.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm referring to the fact the Alien's inclusion in the third act feels like a miniature retread of the original film.
With slasher tropes, shower scene, etc

I love the titular beast, but it feels forced there.

BigDaddyJohn

I think Prometheus is the superior one, even if i have my fair share of problems with this movie. God damn it, Streitenfeld's soundtrack is beautiful though !

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus is conceptually strong and a gorgeous looking film, but the script needed another few rewrites and the editing is atrocious.

Covenant is narratively strong, thematically does a lot of interesting things with the franchise, and is a very well put together film.

Covenant takes the cake, but Prometheus has merit as well despite its flaws.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed